Caltrac's or Traction Master?

Hi, All--

Last year over the summer, I "resto-modified" my '70 Mustang coupe, installed a '98 Explorer Roller engine with a carb, XE258HR cam, a set of AFR 165 heads and a set of Patriot "Clipster" shorty headers.

For the trans, I installed the 4R70W from that truck with a custom-made (dirtyd0g) 2400RPM converter, controlled by a Baummannator, installed digital gauges, power windows, power locks, cruise control, and used a Fox-body radiator with GM F-Body LS1 electric fans controlled by a SPAL fan controller.

Right now, I'm converting over to EFI, using the stock Explorer intake and throttle body, and should have it all completed by this time next week.

With the carburetor and the 11-year-old tires (I think they're 225R70/15's), traction is a problem, even though I've only got 3.00:1 gears in an 8" traction loc rear.

I have purchased a rear axle assy out of a '97 Explorer that has 3.73:1 gears, traction lok, 31-spline axles and disc brakes, and will be installing it for some added "oomph", and am working on putting together a 393 EFI stroker to replace the existing engine.

My question is--since traction is already a problem, I know I need some sort of traction device to help this thing "hook", especially in light of the lower gearing I'm installing and the 393 stroker that's going into it in a few months, and I've heard that caltrac's and traction masters are the best devices for this type of setup, so I need to know who has experience with them, advice regarding pro's and con's of each, etc.

Anybody got any first-hand information on these devices? What are the advantages and drawbacks of each design?

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Traction aids

Never used original Traction Masters, but I have used both Slide-A-Links and Cal Tracs. Both do a great job controlling axle hop and planting the rear tires, but the Slide-A-Links are better for street driven cars and Cal Tracs are better for drag raced cars. Cal Tracs are more adjustable than Slide-A-Links but result in a harsher ride. If you want the maximum traction combination without converting to a four link setup, go with the Cal Tracs and Calvert Racing's split mono leaf rear springs.

Don

I tore the bushing in my traction master with 370 RWHP at the track with 17 inch drag radials. It induced terrible wheel hop after it was gone. With that said, they were on the car for many years and held up to an 11.9 pass before they reached their limit IMO.

every serious 1/4mile or 1/8mile car I've seen that is competitive with leafsprings runs Cal-Traks. The all lift the front wheels and dig hard. make sure your tires and beadlocks are up to the challenge. 31 spline is pretty small if you want to run in the mid-10's. If you have a choice on the rear get at least a 35spline and gun drill em if you can afford it. 3.90 gears may even be a better choice for the 1/4 given the trans. if you are only running the 1/8th look for over a 4.10 gear.

I can't find em quick but I have great pics of tire wrinkles and wheel lifts from cal-traks.

GormanRacing1small.jpg

this is a 67 RS full cage and raceprepped into the low 9's high 8's. he runs leafs and cal's. the thing launches straight and happy once tuned in.