Camshaft choice?

keel

Aug 23, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I've currently got a bone stock 5.0 5-speed car that I use as my daily driver with a 2.73 rear gear. This is perfect for me because I do a lot of highway miles and it keeps the rpm very low, so its quiet and I get good fuel economy. However, I'm currently building another engine with ported GT40 heads and intake with a stock bottom end. I'm wondering if I should keep the stock cam since it will probably suit my needs better, or if I can upgrade the cam while still retaining the ability to cruise at around 1300rpm on the freeway without issues. I would like the added power of a cam but I would prioritize drivability because it is my daily.

• Sponsors (?)

You could leave it stock camshaft and run 1.7 roller rockers. It will give you a little more lift on a stock cam and still keep the drive ability and fuel mileage about the same. Camshafts tend to move the power further up the rpm band. It would make it feel like a dog with 2.73 gears.

With a stock camshaft, and ported heads and intake, you could loose some air velocity in the lower rpm range. The 1.7 rockers will help open the valves more to allow more flow. In theory.

The 1.7s shouldn't cause any piston to valve issues with a stock camshaft. Pushrod length and vslvetrain geometry should be verified though.

There are two different types of pistons in fox bodies stock. The early ones are flat top pistons ( pre 86 ? ) and the others have valve reliefs in them.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d get with flowtech induction about a camshaft choice. He can steer you in the right direction concerning cam and valve train hardware.

Keep in mind that you’re really going to want to change the rear gears out. Even something like a 3.55 is totally daily drivable.

Reactions: 1 users
For a driver that you really don't care about track times I'd leave it stock especially if your leaving 2.73's in it and lugging it at 1300 rpm. What kind of mileage are you getting? What do you want out of the new engine?

The stock cam isnt that bad, ran 12's na and 11's on nitrous 20 years ago with first gen afr 165's, 1.7s and a cobra intake on a untouched factory short block. Was plenty of fun for a daily driver, the car had 3.73's in it and a 5spd and mileage was in the low 20's if I kept my foot out of it, even ran it on 87 most of them time... Dynoed around 270 on a mobile dyno at one of the nmra events with no tuning on a stock a9l and base timing set for the nitrous, did 380 on a 100 shot from an nx kit. Only ran the rockers because the heads where stud mount. There's a few claims the 87-88 stock speed density cam was a tiny bit better but I never tried it.

If you really want to do a cam the Comp XE264-HR14 would do what you are asking. I can cruise at 1200 RPMs all day with no bucking. Just make sure your springs can handle the .512” of lift.
Like other have said you really need to change the gears to at least 3.27 and 3.55s would be better.

I would have a difficult time spending custom cam money for a set of GT40 heads and intake. I'm with 90sickFox. Get a little more lift and keep the manners. You'll gain a lot more by putting that cam money toward a set of long tubes with associated asspain :nice:

I currently get close to 30 mpg on the highway if I keep the speed down. I do a 600 mile round trip with the car fairly regularly so I'm keeping the gears. Thanks for the advice, I'm just going to use the stock cam. The torque basically from idle is something I really love about the car.
I came across the GT40 top end combo pretty much by accident in the process of building a different project so I'm happy with the mild power boost I'll be getting even without upgrading the cam since I spent basically nothing to get it.

Reactions: 1 users