Can I beat my buddy?

Blown_Fox

Jun 18, 2004
North Dakota
I have a '90 GT 5.0L AOD with a shift kit, stall convertor, FRPP 3:73's, MAC Long Tube headers, MAC O/R H pipe and American Thunder Flowmaster Catback exhaust. He has a '00 GT 5 spd. BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK O/R X pipe, Flowmaster Catback exhaust, BBK underdrive pulleys, BBK Cold Air Intake. How do you think I'll stack up? His car ran a 9.4 in the 1/8th mile

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I think stock for stock with you having gears and a built AOD him not it would be close. Youd leave him easilly out of the hole but his motor is going to really start breathing in 3rd gear. Its a matter of having an excellent launch and keeping your lead on him. 5.0s slow? No, it will certainly run with it. Its just that Ive seen them go stock against my buddies 91 gt(5speed with ,pulleys, LT exhaust,cam intake and gears) and barely lose when neck and neck at 3rd. Run him and let us know :nice:

Blown_Fox said:
not looking good? Are 5.0's really that slow that even modded they won't run with the 4.6's ?

actually yes, while i love my AOD to death every once in awhile i kick myself for handicapping myself but starting in the high 15's instead of high 14's. I mean with 4.10 gears, full exhaust, pulleys, CAI, TB, MAF, elec. fan and ac elim. no stall or shift kit i've run 14.5

I beat a 99 up vert 5 speed with just full exhaust on my five-o. He killed me out the hole but i hawked 'em down in 2nd and when i jammed 3rd it was a wrap. But hey it comes down to driver, b/c i'm not john force but i get the job done. if u launch good make him come get you. with a stick he's going to spin, advantage already in your favor.

If your buddy knows how to drive your going to see his taillights pretty quick...I had a 2000 Gt (mods in sig) and now I have a 93 LX (with much more mods) and it is still slower than the 2000 GT...a stock 5.0 vs. a stock 99+GT the 99+ will win in every category...off the line, topend, and handling...

Just remember now a days cubes doesn't matter like it used to...

A stick doesn't mean he is going to spin...that means he doesn't know what to do...

i beat a stock automatic 04 gt with an x pipe with everything in my signature except the performer rpm intake and the throttle body, last night i raced my friend in his 96gt with a 99 motor swap, 3.73 gears, 5 speed, headers, midpipe, mufflers, underdrive pulleys, cold air, and he beat me by 1 car till 115 where we stopped, we raced from a dig and from multiple rolls and we always stayed dead even till 100 and then he'd pull a bit, i also raced my buddy in his 04 GT, automatic, 3.73 gears, chip, x pipe, throttle body, mass air, ported intake plenum, k & n, and we were dead even every race, if the 5 speed gt u are racing does not have gears you might be able to take him for awhile but top end he could pass, do you manually shift ur car 1st, 2nd, drive?

Blown_Fox said:
I have a '90 GT 5.0L AOD with a shift kit, stall convertor, FRPP 3:73's, MAC Long Tube headers, MAC O/R H pipe and American Thunder Flowmaster Catback exhaust. He has a '00 GT 5 spd. BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK O/R X pipe, Flowmaster Catback exhaust, BBK underdrive pulleys, BBK Cold Air Intake. How do you think I'll stack up? His car ran a 9.4 in the 1/8th mile

I love the 5 liter but the 5oh will lose this race if the driver skills are relatively equal, IMO