Can you guys help a regretful former classic owner w/ some tips for finding another?

JH96GT

Founding Member
Aug 20, 2000
Twilight Zone, TN.
Hi, I'm JH96GT, and I'm an idiot.....:rolleyes: j/k

I used to have a 65 Fastback that I bought in high school. I kept it for 10 years and got into some financial issues and decided to sell it. That was five years ago.

Here lately, I've been regretting it really badly and have the itch for another. The largest thing I've noticed is the prices have skyrocketed. Can you guys give me some tips on finding another one to restore (preferably a 65,66 Fastback) and some ideas on fair pricing? I'd like a decent rolling chassis if at all possible, but I'm not scared of rust as long as it is salvageable.

Like I mentioned earlier.....I just want my classic back but don't know how or where to look. Everything I see on the net is show queens and 20k+

Thanks gang. :nice:

Here are a few pics of when I bought it (no geeky kid jokes :D )and when I sold it. :nonono:

View attachment 364729

• Sponsors (?)

Poke around a little; I've heard recently that "sweet" 65-66 Stangs are going for reasonable prices; compared to some other models. Of course, this was on mercurycougar.net; where they deal in much higher prices because there are less surviving Cougars than Mustangs. There were less Cougars than Mustangs to begin with; and over the years a lot of Coug's were stripped/cut up to repair the much more popular Stangs.

While a 2+2 (like yours was) is obviously the "in-demand" body; don't count out the Coupes. Look around; the SCCA Stangs were usually coupes, the extremely rare and always-sought "road course" Shelby's were coupes. Don't get me wrong, if the sight of a 2+2 doesn't raise your blood pressure quite a few points, you're either dead or a ricer! Which is why you can even get a repop '67-68 FB shell (complete except for doors, fenders and hood) - just hand over $16,000 plus frieght. And it's a pretty nice body, with heavier (69-70) shock towers and stiffer (convertible) floor sections.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Coupe. I already have one "never-ending project" (a Cougar that I "inherited" as a debt repayment); but if I didn't, I'd still be looking for a plain-jane V8 Mustang coupe.

EDIT: Noticed your CT.... my oldest kid is counting the days until she can escape from East LA (Ft Polk) and get to her next post in NC (Bragg)! :p

If you want a fastback, don't buy a coupe just to have an vintage Mustang. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I'd bought a nice '65 fastback years ago when they were cheap, kept it for a few years then sold it in a moment of weakness. Then I wanted another fastback and found the prices were much, much higher now. I sold my nice '65 for $4500 in '93, yet couldn't even find a basket case fastback for that in '01! But I eventually found a nice solid car and so will you if you're patient. Fastbacks are wherever you find them, but you have to be persistant. Ebay has a good selection, but everyone looks there, so you'll pay top-dollar. Try www.craigslist.com you can check your area, plus other places within driving distance, local auto trader papers, your hometown paper classifieds and any other sale paper you can think of. Don't be afraid to keep an eye out in driveways, parking lots, etc when you're running errands about town as well. I found my car parked in a far corner of a parking lot, with a "For Sale" sign laying on the dash. They wanted to sell the car, yet never once advertised it in the paper. In fact, when I bought the car, the 93 year old original owner told me she offered to give the car (as in free) to her grandchildren, but none wanted it. WTF is wrong with kids today? Anyway, keep looking , ask around, and don't be afraid to leave a note with your number on cars you may find asking if the car is for sale, you never know what you'll turn up until you try.

I found a rolling shell for $800 locally, c-code and all, you just have to poke around, I suggest country roads, the farther away from a town, the more likely it is you'll find something...in fact I saw a shelby gt350(66 I think) out in the boondocks just rusting away(of course he refused to sell it, he just wanted to let it rust I guess...not even a car cover on it) so the cars are still out there...just not anywhere near cities if you're looking for a good deal

I just picked up a pretty decent 68 coupe that was from Las Vegas most of it's life for $3,600. Wanted a 289 but this one had the 200 c.i. I6 and it was just to decent to pass up. Actually I really don't mind the I6 now that I'm driving it, it's easy to wrench on and not to bad on gas. At 49 years old, I don't need any more speeding tickets anyway, lol.
Found it looking in the local paper here in N.Y., the guy I guess was tired of sinking money into it and wasn't mechanically inclined. Interior is new, paint, new brake system w/ exception of the master cylinder ect... I added up about 2K in new parts he must have put in just recently. What sold me most was the lack of rust.
My brother just told me about a 67 fastback for about $1,200. and said it was a real POS, really rusted bad I guess. I might take a look at it just to take the ol lady and dogs out for a ride and check it out myself. Keep an eye out and you'll eventually find one.

P.S. Nice job you did on your last one.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the info. I'm going to start scouting pretty hard to see what I can come across. I paid 2800 bucks for the green machine...lol back in 92. I'd love to find something in similar condition for that now.

I appreicate all of the tips, and keep'em coming if anyone has more.

Thanks again.