Car warms up to "running" temp and loses HP

SteveO92LX

Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys, I have a S/c'ed 92' LX and it has good power for the first 15 minutes of driving it. Once it gets up to temp it loses 20% of the power. My buddy said he thinks it because it running rich. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Do have a tune/chip? I would invest in a wideband O2 set-up, AEM or the Innovate lc-1 will do the trick. Another way to check, is crank up the car cold run in it in your window and check the plugs. Then run the car until it loses power and check the plugs again. If it is running rich than hopefully there will be evidence to confirm.

Do you have the power loss also right after you crank it up? even if its just for a minute or two?

Try disconnecting the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and running with it disconnected. If dont feel any more power loss, well then its the MAF Sensor.

You will probably get a rough idle, and a check engine light while unplugged, but you will feel the difference in power if it was bad.

If you reconnect the old one back in or put in a new one, the idle will return and the check engine light will go out.

Just a quick suggestion to try!!!

Is your setup intercooled? Could be heat soak from underhood temps rising.

Way too many things it could be to guess. Start with the basics such as checking codes and see if you have anything. A dyno tube would be a bonus.

Cars generally start up in a cold enrichment cycle and then fall back to sensor inputs once warmed up. That's why you should start with simple diagnistics first to determine if the cause is logged as a DTC.

This is a place where most of the questions asked are to help guys to fix their car themselves. So why did you even bother to ask if you were going to take it and have someone else fix it?

Checking the codes is simple enough that a 12 year old kid can do it.