Cars with fact temp guage?

• Sponsors (?)

Mine stays around 1/3 of the way. Never reaches the 1/2 mark. But I do have a 18" Flex fan/2" spacer and a 180* T-stat in there. In general the stock gauges aren't that accurate but just givin you an idea.

i dont know about the 4 eyed stuff, if that is the car you are asking about (doesnt sound like it).
i am a temp fiend since the car sees ambient temps of 110 in the summer.
the stock gauge normally is around 1/3 from cold. in summer in traffic with A/C it will get near half. it reads about 35 degrees too cool at all times. not good. aftermarket gauge showed me how hot i was getting in 110 with a/c on. stocker sat happy and dumb at half. real POS, IMHO.

I figure the lines are for 130* 160* 190* I hae a 180* thermo and my lame fact gauge reads about 190* or third line all the time in winter and as much as the next line which I think is 210* in summer with a/c on. I have three row brass radiator, Ebrock water pump, Hayden clutch fan, and silicone hoses and as I said 180* thermo. One indication of a bad clutch fan is that after a highway cruise the water temp shoots up about 20*!

HISSIN50 said:
i dont know about the 4 eyed stuff, if that is the car you are asking about (doesnt sound like it).
i am a temp fiend since the car sees ambient temps of 110 in the summer.
the stock gauge normally is around 1/3 from cold. in summer in traffic with A/C it will get near half. it reads about 35 degrees too cool at all times. not good. aftermarket gauge showed me how hot i was getting in 110 with a/c on. stocker sat happy and dumb at half. real POS, IMHO.

Thanks for all the replies.... the guage in question is on the 90. I'm asking cause I just switched out to an elec. fan & the needle now goes to the 1/2 mark. It use to stay around the 1/4 -1/3 mark? I'm trying to determin if the 1/2 mark is to hot?

86QtrHorse said:
Thanks for all the replies.... the guage in question is on the 90. I'm asking cause I just switched out to an elec. fan & the needle now goes to the 1/2 mark. It use to stay around the 1/4 -1/3 mark? I'm trying to determin if the 1/2 mark is to hot?
i think an aftermarket gauge is the best way to tell. i can offer personal experience. in 110 deg heat, i would be in traffic with the a/c on and feeling happy with the stock gauge being at 1/2 or a smidge under.
got my aftermarket gauge cuz i had a feeling i was runnin hotter. even at 220, the stock gauge was under 1/2. that is not cool (literally). i really recommend hookin up a second gauge. just me. good luck.

86QtrHorse said:

Mine's never been above the halfway mark, either. You could be getting a little hot, because the old clutch fan was pulling a bit more air through the radiator than your electric fan does now. Of course, it could be the fan shroud size that keeps the needle up, too. An aftermarket gauge is a good idea, but looks redundant.