Cat. Converter Shield Spot Weld Need Options

DJiCE

Apr 2, 2003
Bloomfield, NJ
Passenger side cat. Converter shield has 2 spot welds that have broke, I need options as to weld ? or can I use jbweld? ...

Need options since The rattling noise on startup is annoying.

I don't have a welder, so another option would be helpful, else I whould have to take it to a muffler shop and get the 2 spots welded.

• Sponsors (?)

DJiCE said:
Passenger side cat. Converter shield has 2 spot welds that have broke, I need options as to weld ? or can I use jbweld? ...

Need options since The rattling noise on startup is annoying.

I don't have a welder, so another option would be helpful, else I whould have to take it to a muffler shop and get the 2 spots welded.
Are you talking about the heat shield?

Just take them off completely.

Joe

You could just get your hammer, your duct tape and some tie wire and fix it. The steps to follow are pretty easy. Just take your duct tape and wedge it in between the floor of the car and the heat sheild. That should make it stop rattling. :rlaugh:

Paul

I guess that what it is, I will take a pic soon ...

{PIC ADDED} This is the drivers side which is OK, pass side has the weld broken off...

If I remove the shield LESS WEIGHT = MORE H.P. :hail2:
cat.jpg

well, not more hp, but, less weight, so less time in the quarter.... seeing as how light they are, not much, but hey, i got a question... why are those things on your car anyways? they should only be on there when you gotta go back and get emissions and stuff... errrr, i mean, all the time :D

I dont think thats required for inspection, me and a friend just tryed taking off the cat on his 3000gt (we couldnt but thats a diff story) and his didnt have one

Cats are required, by law. Anything after 1966 I belive. If it doesn't have cats, it's illegal.

But like someone here on the board says, I am allergic to cats, so I don't have them.
Scott