Changed from 16" Stock to 18" GT Wheels Need Help

• Sponsors (?)

First of all welcome.

Second do you have a picture of the wheel (or a link) to which wheels you are referring to? S197 GT Wheels should definitely fit on a S197 V6 Mustang without interfering with your brakes but not vice-versa.

Perhaps you're hearing some rubbing from inside the fender to the liner or the chassis of the car? What size tires are you running?

The wheels are off a 2007 Ford GT wheels 18" polished aluminum with 5x4.5 bolt pattern and the tires are 235/50/ZR18 BF Goodrich tires. They are factory parts. They are going on a 2009 V6 Convertible.
I guess the front disk rotors are just a little different, as I have a little rubbing.

The wheels are off a 2007 Ford GT wheels 18" polished aluminum with 5x4.5 bolt pattern and the tires are 235/50/ZR18 BF Goodrich tires. They are factory parts. They are going on a 2009 V6 Convertible.
I guess the front disk rotors are just a little different, as I have a little rubbing.

shouldn't rub, the pony pkg V6's came with larger wheels and the V6 size rotor. Are you sure it's rubbing on the rotor ? Both sides ? 1 side ? Can you look on the rotor and see wear marks ?

Solution Found

Should have posted this already. I found two solutions - one short term and one long term

The V6 takes the 17" wheels no problem. However, the 18" wheels that I installed need to have the brakes upgraded with the V6 Brake Upgrade package from Ford Racing Parts. This is not a bad thing to do anyway, as it upgrades the V6 11.5" front rotors to the GT 12.4" rotors. It's 159.00 for the kit (handles both sides).

The other, cheaper immediate solution was to install a thin spacer and viola - no rubbing. I'm not sure if using the spacer has any long term effects, so I'll end up doing the upgrade, but at least for now I can put my wheels back on the street.

Wow that is really odd that it would rub on smaller parts :notnice: Glad you got it fixed though and good info to know on what to do for the V6ers...I've been thinking of buying one as a DD, but that would be a while from now...

So was it rubbing on the inside of the wheel spokes? You said you put in a spacer, to move the wheel out from the hub and rotor?

Should have posted this already. I found two solutions - one short term and one long term

The V6 takes the 17" wheels no problem. However, the 18" wheels that I installed need to have the brakes upgraded with the V6 Brake Upgrade package from Ford Racing Parts. This is not a bad thing to do anyway, as it upgrades the V6 11.5" front rotors to the GT 12.4" rotors. It's 159.00 for the kit (handles both sides).

The other, cheaper immediate solution was to install a thin spacer and viola - no rubbing. I'm not sure if using the spacer has any long term effects, so I'll end up doing the upgrade, but at least for now I can put my wheels back on the street.

FYI you can upgrade to GT brakes for much, much cheaper than that $159. Get some take off rotors and the caliper mount brackets. The calipers are the same on both cars. I found rotors and mounts for $40 on my local craigslist. The owner upgraded to bigger brakes when the car was new. Pull the caliper off, swap out the mounts, put the new rotors on, you don't even have to bleed the brakes as you don't disconnect the brake line. 30 minutes and you're done.

no problem with the spacers, alot of Mustangers run them to get their rims out to the edge of their fenders. As long as they're good quality you'll be OK. But for a few bucks the GT brake upgrade is a good one. Alot better pedal feel and less fade if you ever get to pushing it hard.