Changing tranny oil questions

I've finally decided not to pay someone to change my tranny fluid and i'm going to do it myself, soo, I know that I need something to get the fluid up to the filler hole, and some square bit sockets to get the bolts out. What size are the square bolts, and what did you guys use to get the tranny fluid to the filler hole? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Look around the auto supplies and you can find a plastic hand pump that will work in a one gallon oil jug. Use an old empty jug and pour in a few quarts.

Always remove the fill plug FIRST! This will prevent you from draining the oil out and then finding that you can't get the fill plug out to fill the unit up again.

Good luck,

When I change mine again, I'll probably snake some tubing from the engine compartment down to the fill hole on the 3650 and use a funnel from the topside. I used 3.0L (about 3.2 quarts) based on Tremec's recommended quantity to re-fill mine through the open shifter hole the first time I changed it, while I was changing shifters. That's about dead on with the re-fill quantity that LaserRed01GT posted

I have done this on my GT twice and on a MACH 1 twice. Dude pull the shifter and fill it from there. Dont try to snake a hose to the shifter. Its not hard to pull the shifter. Its so much easier than using the fill hole. Also put in some Lucas oil if you want to, cleaned my shifts quite a bit. I suggest using Mobil 1 ATF. I also sent an email to TREMEC and they suggested I use Mobil 1. Its not a hrad job, but having tried to use the hose and also having pulled the shifter. I would tell anyone trying this to pull the shifter and fill from there.

I wouldn't snake a hose to the shifter either :rlaugh: I might snake a hose to the filler hole though.

Ford used Mobil 1 as the factory fill, or should we say overfill, in the Tremec 3650 back in '03 - '04, and maybe before that as well. Tremec's recommendation at that time was to drain re-fill with DEXRON III, which I did, and I have had no negative issues with my 3650 in the past 30K miles. If they have since gone back to recommending Mobil 1, it should work fine as well.

Im sorry, I meant dont snake the hose to the fill hole on the tranny. Just take the shifter off and fill it from there. Also if you do a search most people run approx 3.1 or 3.2 quarts. Because I believe the manual tell you to use x amount of liters which equals 3.4 or 3.5 quarts. A lot of people have found the 3650 to run smoother with 3.1-3.2 quarts.

If its not time to change my tranny oil yet, but i wanted to check the level to make sure it has enuf, how do you do that on a 5spd? Is there anyway since 5spds dont have dipsticks?

Im sorry, I meant dont snake the hose to the fill hole on the tranny. Just take the shifter off and fill it from there. Also if you do a search most people run approx 3.1 or 3.2 quarts. Because I believe the manual tell you to use x amount of liters which equals 3.4 or 3.5 quarts. A lot of people have found the 3650 to run smoother with 3.1-3.2 quarts.

Tremec and the sevice manual says 3.1 litres which equals the 3.28 US quarts that I posted above.

I suppose if somebody absolutely did not have a way to lift up their car (with a floorjack and jackstands or an actual lift), filling it through the shifter might be a LAST resort, but a 5 year old kid can insert a small hose into the filler hole from underneath the car and fill it in in just a few minutes. I don't understand how somebody can own a Mustang and not have the means to lift the car and take a few minutes to pump some ATF into their trans.:shrug: In my opinion it's totally uneccesary to have to remove the shifter just to add a few quarts of ATF to the trans.

There really isn't a finite way to check the fluid level, but if you remove the fill plug, and insert your pinky(that's the only finger of mine that fits) you should be able to feel fluid if there is over 3 quarts in it.

Not to start an arguement, the reason I say pull the shifter. I was under the assumption you had ramps or maybe a set of stands. If you have it good and can put your car on a ramp, by all means thats the way to go, youll get the majority of the fluid out. I would imagine almost all. But if you have ramps or stands, taking the shifter out is very easy of contolling your fluid level. In fact if you really wanted too you could jack up the car take out the plug, then lower to drain and raise back up. A lot of work but it will do the job. At least then you know you have nothing in the bearbox and you can add your 3 quarts of which ever fluid you choose.:flag:

The Tremec manual, and both by Motorcraft and Alldata online manual that I have subscriptions to all say 3.1 litres (3.28 US quarts). Online service manual are continually sync'ed to show the most current data and specifications.

Sometimes the owner's manuals are correct, sometimes they aren't. Ford, NHTSA, and Tremec are always performing ongoing R&D on their producs. It was found that the TR3650 actually worked better with about a 1/4 quart less fluid.

Lucas Semi Synthetic ATF, Redline D4-ATF Synthetic, and Royal Purple Synchromax are all great products. I happen to like the Royal Purple products in particular. The Synchromax is specifically designed for manual transmissions that call for ATF. The GM Sychromesh is also a good product for the 3650's.

The TR-3650 uses a hybrid organic/carbon fiber friction lining on the friction face of the blocker rings. The Royal Purple Sychromax and the GM Synchromesh are specifically designed to have a low sulfur content and work best with those specific type of blocker rings making gear engagements as smooth as possible.

Wow, thanks for all the replys guys. I have 4 quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax destined for my tranny. So I can run a tube from the engine compartment to the filler hole?? Never thought of that. I don't really want to remove the shifter, then I have to reseal it all up. Guess I'll just go to pepboys and see what I can find. A 3/8 ratchet will really fit the drain and fill bolts??