Chevy guy looking to get into a GT...need your help

JH23

Nov 1, 2006
i'm looking at trading my 93 vette for a 94 mustang gt with a brand new GT-40 crate engine in it....does anyone know anything about these motors and if there any good or not ?...it's supposedly a 345 hp 5 speed car...so i figured i'd ask the guys that knows them better than i do.....here is what the guy wrote to me.....

new gt-40 crate motor from ford racing. new polished cobra intake and plenium,c&l 76mm mass air meter,bbk 70mm throttle boddy,bbk full length chrome headers,msd billet distributer,blaster coil and egn. module,9mm wires,155 lph fuel pump,30lb injectors,373 gears,high performance starter,new power steering pump,superchip,170 amp chrome alt,cold air intake everyhing under the hood is brand new and have receipts for all over 7000 in parts and 1400 in labor. all parts proffesionaly installed.it also has caber caster plates, steeda 2'' drop sus.,andshort throw shifter.new x pipe and super 40 flowmasters. all parts have less than 700 miles on them.. this car is very strong .. i would just like to have another minni truck or something to show.. this is the first real muscle car ive had and its gonna get me tickets if i keep it .... it is ready for street or strip.. i bought the car and they said it smoked when it was started and that was it but by the time i got home over 3 hrs away it constantly smoked so i decided to replace the motor since i paid 5200 for the car i didn,t want to put another junk motor from a junkyard in it. the crate motor and every part was bought from gene evans ford racing..i also have dated pictures with the motor being taken out and the new one installed and receipts have dates also the motor was pulled out on 10/10/06 and finnished on 10/ 19 /06 . this car also has a lanzar touch screen flip out dvd/cd/mp3 player with nav...also has a king cobra clutch in it.

View attachment 427904

View attachment 427906

View attachment 427908

Like i said , i figured i would ask you guy's because you all know far better than me.

Jamie

• Sponsors (?)

lol...well i wont bash...cuz i know squat...i just need some serious guidance....and honest answer's...it has a steeda suspension ...now i dunno if thats good or bad....what do you mean by tank ?

Jamie

Thanks alot my bad...of course...if i go thru with this deal..you might not being saying that with all the questions i'll have about a mustang lol

Jamie

I think it sems like agreat car, and very good deal, but of course I am not a big fan of vettes. I would change those wheels though! Motor and suspension are off to a great start. It seems weird to me though that he wants to get out of a mustang to avoid tickets, but is getting another sports car, that will most likely draw more attention from cops. I would absolutely take a look at it, and if it seems as good as it looks then go through with the deal!

Jacob

Thanks super...i'm not a big fan of vettes either...i thought i had to have one....got it ...and learned all this EXPENSIVE stuff if it breaks...and i've always loved a mustang...i had a 86 gt with 86,000 vert...loved the car...hated the vert....so if i meet this guy and everything looks good, i think i'll be a new stang owner again ;)

Jamie

wow 7k is alot of money in parts. The gt40 crate motor from ford is VERY overpriced imo, but its good parts none the less. I would never imagine seeing 345hp out of it, im sure that car makes about 270hp to the wheels. Looks like the guy put alot of money into it, and bought some decent parts. Probably a mid to high 12 second car on slicks.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/302smallblock.asp

Ford rates the motor at 345hp, but sadly a bcam, gt40 heads, and a cobra intake would never see anywhere near that number. The aluminum heads on the motor are good heads, but for 4300 you can build something ALOT better. Should be quick and not give you any problems though.

Change those hideous wheels, the purple tint, ask for copies of the reciepts and pictures of the build just so you can have it as refrence for anything, and youll enjoy the car :nice:

Tom Cat...thanks man...i think i am going for it....he does have all receipts of everything and also has dated pics of the mechanic taking the old motor out and puttingthe new one in...it was just put in the 1st week of this month.

Jamie

is he looking to straight up trade with you or what?? cause in the description it says he wants a truck?

.. i would just like to have another minni truck or something to show.. this is the first real muscle car ive had and its gonna get me tickets if i keep it ....

but if you like the 94-95 mustangs go for it, the car's got alot of work done and looks nice. the bubbling tint on the back window and the wheel arent exactly amazing...but once you see the car it could be mint otherwise right? its also got a brand new motor! thats definitly a plus over buying one with 100 or 200K miles. how's the vette?? i dunno much about vettes or yours so i wouldnt know if this would be a good straight trade :(

yeah he wants a straight trade.....the tint i aint worried about because its gonna have to come off regardless...thanks to Mississippi's stupid tint law...even tho police can black theirs out....the bvette has 115,000 on it...almost show room condition.....but parts are WAY high...a water pump for the stang is 80 buks...water pump for the vette around 300.....vette parts are OUTRAGEOUS....and mechanics and dealerships see you coming.

Jamie

thats a good looking stang, do you have any pics of the vette?... i like you dont know that much about cars, im pritty new here and what i do know about mustangs i learned from alot of the cool guys on here... welcome to stang net, and i hope everything works out for you!

yeah pretty much...i'm gonna have to get up under it and look at the frame and suspension and all to make sure everything's ok...look up inside the trunk to make sure it hasnt been wrecked and pieced back together...definately will have to drive it to make sure tranny and rear end dont whine....test the throw out bearing...and if all that passes...looks like i'll be trading for it....yeah that vette is gorgeous...but if you cant fix them when they are broke down....whats the use of having it ?..a water pump for the vette is 300 buks...a opti spark ( distributor ) is 600...if the water pump goes bad and starts leaking,it leaks on the opti...making it bad...so theres 900 buks right off the bat and thats not counting labor...see what i mean ? lol

Jamie

lol yeah, when i bought mine, i took my buddy 2doors down hes an LT1 guy but growing up has had 4 5.0's... i wasn't to sure on what to look for, so it was good to have him there, i looked at one on woodward in pontiac michigan.. frame was welded back togeather.. i didnt even see it untill he told me.... i sware to god i would have bought that car!... thanks to him i got a good car for the money i wanted to spend.. you can veiw my garage by clicking under my name... that was the 5th one i looked at.. i fell inlove as soon as i seen her!... but anyways not noing much i took a magnet with me to check for bondo.. and looked real hard for oil leaks or any oil spots that he might have whiped down pryor to you getting there.. and run your hand all over the car as you walk around from like quarter to hood or door to quarter panal, that will kinda help you feel if the parts have been changed over from a wreck.. also i would run a carfax... poneypower has a member ship still i think so if you pm him or post in his thread he'll run it for you in like 20sec!..