Exhaust Chrome Header Question

Middleagecrisis

Aug 23, 2020
Seguin
I bought a set of BBK 1515 chrome headers for my GT-40P head swap. I'm not a chrome guy, but didn't want to fork out the extra dollars for the ceramic coating. Probably should have re-thought that, but what's done is done. Do the chrome headers make the engine bay hotter than traditional painted headers? If so, should I buy some wrap for the headers to keep the engine bay temperature down? I'm not concerned about the headers turning blue after time, more the engine bay getting hotter. Thoughts/advice?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same headers on my car previously.

The Chrome will rainbow over time, and then turn to rust. Eventually i had to remove the headers, sandblast them, and paint them in high-heat black paint. That finish actually lasted longer than the chrome did. The engine bay got hot. Not blistering hot, but they did nothing for heat retention. After a good long drive everything will be heat soaked due to the headers. I've cooked steak tips on them during a cruise before.

I ended up removing them this past build and installing ceramic-coated headers to try and cut down on the heat, which was my #1 complaint with the 1515's.

The Chrome will rainbow over time, and then turn to rust. Eventually i had to remove the headers, sandblast them, and paint them in high-heat black paint. That finish actually lasted longer than the chrome did. The engine bay got hot. Not blistering hot, but they did nothing for heat retention. After a good long drive everything will be heat soaked due to the headers. I've cooked steak tips on them during a cruise before.

I ended up removing them this past build and installing ceramic-coated headers to try and cut down on the heat, which was my #1 complaint with the 1515's.
Were the valve covers leaking to provide some marinade and smokiness?:)
Seriously, foil wrapped to keep road dust off of them?

Kind of what I figured. Here's my options:
1. Wrap headers with the chrome intact
2. Strip the chrome off and paint with high-heat exhaust paint
3. Strip the chrome off, paint with high-heat exhaust paint and then wrap. Of course, at this point it would have been cheaper to buy the ceramic coated version.
I'm in central Texas and this time of year it's a struggled to keep the engine from getting hot in stop and go traffic. Thoughts on above options?

Seriously, foil wrapped to keep road dust off of them?

Yes. Prep it like you would any other steak you were about to toss on the grill, and then foil wrap the hell out of them. Make sure all the folds are to the top so that no juices run out of them. Use a thin bailing wire to hold it in place and go for a drive. The key is figuring out when to pull over and take them off.

In my younger days we used to cruise to various shows so we'd cook on our engines along the way. Pull in the lot, park, pull a hot dog or hamburger patty out of your engine and have a snack.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I've burnt some stuff as well that was essentially dried out. Too many variables on how long it takes to cook so it took a lot of trial and error.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
You can have the header's jet hot coated. Talk to a local powdercoating shop and see if they offer that service. No idea if if can be done over the chrome or the chrome can be stripped off.

My JBA ceramics were $550, so if you can get it done for cheaper (for any brand ceramic header) than that it's a win (minus your time of course)

Last edited:
FWIW I could not tell much difference in underhood temps with my ceramics once the engine bay was heat-soaked BUT I could hold my hand about an inch away from the header while running and not feel any heat radiating off of them.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
FWIW I could not tell much difference in underhood temps with my ceramics once the engine bay was heat-soaked BUT I could hold my hand about an inch away from the header while running and not feel any heat radiating off of them.
I have seen my chrome headers glow near the heads after an evening test run, so that coating sounds impressive. My other project with a hopped up engine has the piston, combustion chambers and valve tops ceramic coated. The piston sides are anti friction coated. Maybe it will get back from paint eventually to try driving with the new engine. But this is a good sign.

Last edited: