Clicking noise coming from front wheel when moving

I've been trying to narrow this down for the last two days and haven't been able to figure it out. Yesterday there was only a clicking noise on right turns and today it clicks constantly. I put it up on a lift yesterday and rotated the wheels and it didn't click so this only happens when under weight and there was nothing visible rubbed raw/bare metal. Do you all think it may be the bearings and if so how hard is that to install? And if it is would anyone have the part number for it? It seems to be a clicking louder today than yesterday so I bit ancy to drive it now.

• Sponsors (?)

really the only things it could be is tie rod end, ball joint r wheel bearing. If it only does it on right turns u may want to check the tie rod end. Most of the time wheel bearing will make more of a grinding noise, but the do make clicking noises as well. So I will defiantly say it is either ur bearing r tie rod end. Does ur tire wiggle ( move side to side)? If so it is defiantly the bearing.

Jack up the front end, grab the side of the tires and see if there is any movement from side to side. Take a pry bar if your on a drive on rack or just jacking up the one side of the vehicle. Put it under the tire and see if there is any latteral movement which would be a balljoint. If you have movement side to side have someone look while you wiggle side to side to see if it's an outter or inner tierod end going bad.

CHECK YOUR WHEEL LUG NUTS NOW!!! If it sounds like a poker card flipping on bicycle spokes, check your lug nuts now, re torque them. I drove around for 2 weeks with a clickin noise coming from my driver side wheel area and couldnt figure it out... It would increase as i drove faster and was really noticeable next to walls where the sound could bounce back. The night before i plan to take it to a ford dealership, someone told me to check my lug nuts, i did, and i could unscrew them easily with my fingers. the only thing that was holding my wheel on was the lockin lug nut... for 2 weeks. Retorqued the lug nuts, no more clicking noise!

It only makes noise when in motion so I don't think it's in the steering column and it doesn't wiggle side to side so it shouldn't be the bearing then either. Checked the wheel lugs and those are all tight. I'll try what disturbed one said and see if anything comes up. Thanks for the input guys.

I have the same problem
its the side by side turn of the wheel, something sounds like its grinding or snapping

the car is not moving when this noise occurs, its sitting still in a spot and turning the wheels you can hear the noise.

spdfrkaby said:
It only makes noise when in motion so I don't think it's in the steering column and it doesn't wiggle side to side so it shouldn't be the bearing then either. Checked the wheel lugs and those are all tight. I'll try what disturbed one said and see if anything comes up. Thanks for the input guys.

I have the same behavior--has been this way for me the past year 1/2. This has been brought up before, although I didn't save the thread. Basically, I'm driving straight, on a flat road, and I get a "click" noise about 1 every 15 - 20 seconds. For the life of me I can't figure out what it is, but have just grown accustomed to the sound. LOL At any rate, I'm in the same boat, as have been others.

- Mega

git-it-83 said:
Rock, nail, screw in tire? It could be that, wedged in an inconspicuous spot.

Nope--had all of my tires checked out (thoroughly) three times since I've had my Stang. BTW - Toyo Proxes 4 are still the greatest thing since PB&J as far as I'm concerned. :nice:

- Mega

BTW, thanks for the tip about the brake pads, I'll take a look.

Mega-Man said:
Yup, that seems to be where my click is coming from as well... Hmm... Dang it, I thought I had grown accustomed to the noise, but now I'm back to tracking the damn thing down. LOL

- Mega

i think im gonna put offset rack bushings in to see if its stress on the joints

then ill fill the rack fluid back up from below the "low" level

lol