Clutch worn or stretched cable?

BuRnInRuBbEr

May 21, 2006
Hey i'm new here i just got my '89 GT 5spd about a week ago. Well when i got the car, the clutch was very grippy, and it engaged right off of hte floorboard, not even an inch off. I went to the track last night, and i never launched it hard or anything, maybe 2 burnouts, and now my clutch engages in the middle/closer to the top. I was wondering if it was even possible to wear my clutch down that fast... i never smelt any clutch burning. Could this be just a stretched cable, or would that have an opposite effect. Please help me out...

• Sponsors (?)

maby your self adjusting quadrant did what it's suppose to. Can you wear out a clutch that fast...yes if you are hard on it and do some 5K launches and ride the peddal stuff like that. Will a cable strech or maby a few strands broke ......verry possible

Does it also disengage half way down the pedal travel? If you, you anti-wore your clutch out. :rlaugh:

If the POE (point of engagement) was on the floor before and the quadrant/pawl mesh, or the cable were letting go, you wouldnt be able to disengage/engage the clutch at all (you would need to push the pedal through the floorboard).

More info about how the clutch feels, smells, slippage you notice will help.

Good luck.