Clutch cable suggestions

• Sponsors (?)

So, is this the same basic cable as MM and does CJ really have them in stock?

I doubt it, vendor part number coulb be cross reference, doesn't say its a ford cable and 3 week ship time. Though they used pic of a stock cable.... Noticed the after markets got a nice price jump too lol.

No different then some shops rebranding the clearance drake stuff as thier house brand to sell it. Someone bought out all those arm rest pads and other restoration stuff fast lol.

I doubt it, vendor part number coulb be cross reference, doesn't say its a ford cable

Actually, check out the first 3 words in the description...
Screenshot_20230529-203640_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, that's advertising they never specifically state brand manufacturer. Enough wording bs in that statement to play stupid and they all play stupid especially with the repo parts. Alot of factory seconds getting the house branding for them to sell, AM, cj''s, lmr etc they all do it. That cable isn't orderable so unless they had inventory to ship I wouldn't count on it. They show a 3 week lead time and orderable, on a part no one can get.. If you get a ford cable great, I Just wouldn't bet on it being one. the made to oem specs is why I doubt it... Ford is the oem of course they make :poo: to their specs lol.

No surprise to anyone, it is not a Ford Clutch cable, nor is it to OEM specifications as its description states:

CjPonyPartsNotOem1.jpg

CjPonyPartsNotOem2.jpg

CjPonyPartsNotOem3.jpg

CjPonyPartsNotOem4.jpg

It might be reliable. It might not be, but either way it's not what they advertised or even pictured. If you look at their ad's pic, you'll note that they pictured a cable that is Ford, MM, or otherwise still an OEM-spec cable: https://www.cjponyparts.com/cobra-clutch-cable-mustang-cobra-2003-2004/p/CCM16/ This one is definitely a knock off. I'm not putting it on the shelf for god knows how long just to be eventually disappointed. I started the return process, and will dispute the transaction with Amex if they try to charge for anything, including shipping. Might wait until I get whatever their initial refund will be.

Kinda figured... I remember this happening with CJPony a few times in the past. I'll probably stop with them unless, kinda like I thought about this, they really have something no one else does. Sent a message:

"So, basically, you guys lie on your website when it says "In stock" to get the money, which you charge immediately to the credit card, and then you report a delay or back order... got it. Issue a refund, now."

They sent back an email explaining how to cancel the order on their website, but I'd rather a human read that.

I'm not really pissed. I just think it's a shoddy business practice of theirs. Should have taken a screenshot of "In Stock" when I placed the order. That's why it went on my Amex Plat... Amex doesn't F around when you tell them to dispute a charge. If it goes through for Noobz, I figure the back order was filled and other places can get 'em, too.
p

American Muscle does the same crap "in stock"

I submitted my return form, got an email with an authorization but no shipping label. They get credit for the customer service I got. The guy agreed wholeheartedly, and sent a shipping label. Just need to drop it off at a fedex near me. No problem. So, CJ still has my business, though I will be cautious of their parts representations and of any 'in stock' claims.

I'll take all the cable pics anybody has. Might make for a good thread. :O_o:
Hey @Noobz347, I got an idea for your potential clutch cable pics thread. Does this offer interest you?

I'll send you multiple different clutch cables (and I'll pay postage both ways of course), you can take all the pics you want (just don't post the nsfw ones tho) and your mission, should you choose to accept it (that was in my best Bob Johnson voice (look it up youngsters)), is that you will make a clutch cable comparison thread for all interested parties (i.e., me) to learn from you and the other clutch cable experts here, the plusses and minuses of each one of them. Let me know. If not, no problem.... not trying to give you any more to do, if you don't want it. If not, maybe someone else may be interested in analyzing them and compiling the info?

Being as the heavily favored MM cable appears to no longer be available, I'm curious what the consensus next best cable is. Three of the posters here that I have very high respect for their opinion, (@TOOLOW91 (via post # 4), @AeroCoupe (via post #6) and @FastDriver (via post #9)), have all expressed their opinion, respectively, that the Steeda cable is their "next choice", or that they've had "zero issues" with it, or that it will "work fine". That's a really good set of recommendations/positive reviews, imo. But this current thread here is more focused on the Cobra cable (and/or the lengthier get-away-from-the-long-tube-headers cable).

I'm more talking about a stock length 79-93 Fox cable. Personally, I also am interested in the fixed length cable, just to eliminate the extra variable of an adjustable cable when it comes to the whole pedal/firewall adjuster/clutch fork/cable assembly.

Gotta go fix my keyboard now....apparently I just wore out my parenthesis keys. :O_o:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey @Noobz347, I got an idea for your potential clutch cable pics thread. Does this offer interest you?

I'll send you multiple different clutch cables (and I'll pay postage both ways of course), you can take all the pics you want (just don't post the nsfw ones tho) and your mission, should you choose to accept it (that was in my best Bob Johnson voice (look it up youngsters)), is that you will make a clutch cable comparison thread for all interested parties (i.e., me) to learn from you and the other clutch cable experts here, the plusses and minuses of each one of them. Let me know. If not, no problem.... not trying to give you any more to do, if you don't want it. If not, maybe someone else may be interested in analyzing them and compiling the info?

Being as the heavily favored MM cable appears to no longer be available, I'm curious what the consensus next best cable is. Three of the posters here that I have very high respect for their opinion, (@TOOLOW91 (via post # 4), @AeroCoupe (via post #6) and @FastDriver (via post #9)), have all expressed their opinion, respectively, that the Steeda cable is their "next choice", or that they've had "zero issues" with it, or that it will "work fine". That's a really good set of recommendations/positive reviews, imo. But this current thread here is more focused on the Cobra cable (and/or the lengthier get-away-from-the-long-tube-headers cable).

I'm more talking about a stock length 79-93 Fox cable. Personally, I also am interested in the fixed length cable, just to eliminate the extra variable of an adjustable cable when it comes to the whole pedal/firewall adjuster/clutch fork/cable assembly.

Gotta go fix my keyboard now....apparently I just wore out my parenthesis keys. :O_o:
I like it but I don't think we need to ship a bunch of cables. If your phone was made in the last 5 years it's just as good as my phone at displaying 1080p on a website.

I think we just need to come up with some ground rules on what to post as folks post images.

Example:

Full-length image against a tape measure
closeup image of each end
closeup image of the cable strands
closeup image of the cable swedges
closeup image of the cable housing

If we do this right, we'll add the thread to the Technical Thread Index.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Happy to help with the Steeda & MM. Just tell me how you like it!

My cable from CJP arrived today. I haven't even opened the box because I already saw your pics. :D

So pretty much what you posted already except I'll add one with the measuring tape.

I don't know if MM will ever have those cables again. :shrug: I hope they do!

I like it but I don't think we need to ship a bunch of cables. If your phone was made in the last 5 years it's just as good as my phone at displaying 1080p on a website.

I think we just need to come up with some ground rules on what to post as folks post images.

Example:

Full-length image against a tape measure
closeup image of each end
closeup image of the cable strands
closeup image of the cable swedges
closeup image of the cable housing

If we do this right, we'll add the thread to the Technical Thread Index.

Thoughts?
Well, since you brought it up, maybe you can help me find the camera button on my phone....

1685766327612.png

Seriously, though..... I guess that would work. Though I'm not the best at taking/sizing/re-sizing/posting pics, but I'll figure it out.

You/whomever need to come up with the ground rules and start a thread....

Part of my thinking in shipping them to you, or whomever, was that a clutch cable "expert" might be able to get a better idea of the overall quality of one if they had it in their own grubby (no offense meant) hands. I imagine being able to fondle(?) one would give more feedback than just some pictures would. I know that's true with some other things at least.:runaway:

So, in the purely theoretical example of someone having 4 different cables (what idiot would waste money buying 4 different cables, when they only need one, I ask :doh:), should there be 1 pic showing all 4 quadrant ends, 1 pic showing all 4 cable strand close-ups, etc., or 4 individual pics of ends, 4 individual pics of cable strands, etc.?

Just tell me how you like it!
Not sure if I would have phrased it that way....:hide:

I don't know if MM will ever have those cables again. :shrug: I hope they do!
I hope so too. I just started looking for them a couple of years ago (and they weren't available then), so I don't know how much further back than that they go not being available, but I'm not counting on them coming back. And even if they do, based on the direction most every replacement part seems to be going, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't match up, quality-wise, to the previous ones.

At this point, I'm trying to replace my CT. So, eventually I'll say something egregious enough to get his attention. Plus, we all know he likes them pre-lubed so they'll slide right in.

• Haha
No surprise to anyone, it is not a Ford Clutch cable, nor is it to OEM specifications as its description states:

CjPonyPartsNotOem1.jpg

CjPonyPartsNotOem2.jpg

CjPonyPartsNotOem3.jpg

CjPonyPartsNotOem4.jpg

It might be reliable. It might not be, but either way it's not what they advertised or even pictured. If you look at their ad's pic, you'll note that they pictured a cable that is Ford, MM, or otherwise still an OEM-spec cable: https://www.cjponyparts.com/cobra-clutch-cable-mustang-cobra-2003-2004/p/CCM16/ This one is definitely a knock off. I'm not putting it on the shelf for god knows how long just to be eventually disappointed. I started the return process, and will dispute the transaction with Amex if they try to charge for anything, including shipping. Might wait until I get whatever their initial refund will be.
I know I probably come of as a dick in some posts but I'm not trying to be.. I just worked in the field too long and know the :poo: they pull.. all of them do it these days. They hide manufacturers with house brands, buy out close out or seconds and slap a brand on it etc then write an ad so full of double speak that even a lawyer wouldn't know what he's buying. Sucks they shipped you a basic parts store replacment. Even has the metal band on it at the end like the atp version of that cable.

I'll get the new thread started this weekend and set up the first post as the template. You all can look it over before we press on with it and open it to the rest of the forum.

Feel free to add discussion in the new thread but in separate posts from any material submitted. We can always clean it up before we make it [live], so to speak.

Reactions: 1 users