cobra intake question

U2SLO450

May 27, 2006
What exactly is the difference between the original cobra intakes and the ones that you can get from blue oval industies. The only difference i see is that one of them says" made in china". Why is it called a "replica".

• Sponsors (?)

The first and most obvious thing that I found is that the contour of the thermostat housing is completely different and requires that you rotate your distributor two teeth counter-clockwise and to modify the lower half of the distributor cap to clear the driver's side fuel rail. The other problem is that the Chinese-made intakes have a design flaw that causes a severe oil consumption problem. FRPP knows it and will supply you with an updated baffle to cure the problem.

Having been through this, I can say that the manifold works great now that it is set up properly, but I would have gone with an Edelbrock if I'd known then what I know now.

well the baffle in the Cobra Intake (china one) is identical to your HO Intakes.

So technicly it shouldnt suck any more oil than a stock intake.

The new one doesn't come with a baffle, just two small ones. FRPP supplies a replacement baffle that covers most of the underside of the lower manifold. I know. I've dealt with this issue first hand.

The PCV has nothing to do with it.

Check out these two threads for another person dealing with this exact issue.

http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1527
http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1647

well the plate that covers the hole for the PCV Valve on both the FRP Cobra Intake and HO Intakes are the same.

I did call FRP and they sent me a new baffle. I just never put it on the new intake.
Ive ran my car for ~ 1 hour since installing the new intake and the PCV is dry.

Ive ran my car for ~ 1 hour since installing the new intake and the PCV is dry.

As I have stated before, the PCV has absolutely nothing to do with it. It sucks the oil directly into cylinders 4 and 8. You won't notice anything with it running for only an hour. Take your car for a 200-mile drive and then check your oil. I'll bet you a dollar that it will be down at least a quart. Or drive for an hour, let it sit for twenty minutes and restart it. You'll probably be greeted with a cloud of gray smoke. Either way, you're going to wish you'd installed the baffle.

o.k, so i guess im going to install the "new baffle":nice: . Where do i get one?:shrug: I also did a search and someone had a pic of the new baffle installed but now i cant find it, anyone know where i can get this pic? Thankx for the replies!!

o.k, so i guess im going to install the "new baffle":nice: . Where do i get one?:shrug: I also did a search and someone had a pic of the new baffle installed but now i cant find it, anyone know where i can get this pic? Thankx for the replies!!

IMG_0413.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 80
When i rebuilt my stang a few years ago i installed the cobra intake mani. It continues to burn a quart of oil every 250 miles. I called the FRPP guys today after I saw this thread and they are sending me the larger baffle for free. They said that it is really strange, some of the china manifolds burn oil and others do not. I don't really know if it is the manifold that is burning the oil or the fact that I only honed the cyl walls and put in over-sized rings in the last time I rebuilt. I guess I'll have to do a test.

So does this new baffle have to be riveted on or what?

I ran my car for 9 months with the frpp cobra intake and had no pcv problems. However now that i installed heads and cam it REALLY is sucking some oil through the pcv. I put an air/oil seperator on it for the mean time but it fills up pretty quickly.

Looks like i got a call to make tommorow.

Had the same problem with my China one. But it only seems to be a problem in HCI combo cars not on stock cars because of the increased crankcase pressure. I re-routed my PCV to my driver side valve cover (tall FRPP polished covers) and it slowed down greatly but still get some in the oil seperator. I now may try a 2nd PCV in the original location as the velocity of the intake pull will be decreased and it should be better. I just hate to pull the intake off after the install.

Ok.. so I have one of the Chinese '93 Cobra Intakes (small baffle) on a new GT40 Crate Engine (X heads, e cam). All have less than 1k miles.

I noticed that the pcv line to the bottom drivers side of the intake had oil on it so I called Ford Racing and they are sending me a new baffle, free of charge. So the car's been sitting for a few weeks due to the wonderful midwest weather and I go out to fire it up. I let it idle for about 5-10 minutes to let everything get up to temp (which it was at normal temp) and I notice a burning paint smell. I look at the drivers side header and the far back tube is glowing red. The car was idling fine and revved up as normal.

My question is this.. could the oil being sucked up cause the extreme temp? Or what the heck is going on?

Also, I checked the oil and it's about 1/2 quart down.. engine has less than 1k miles.

Any insight?