Coil Over Kit

Fri Guy

15 Year Member
May 10, 2007
Sometime in the near future I want to install some coil overs on my 1990 GT. Years ago I installed some Bilstein shocks with some H&R Super Sport lowering springs. Since then the car has mainly just sat in the garage so I'm assuming that the bilsteins are still good to go. Is there a coil over kit that I can use with the bilstein shocks that I currently have or is it best to buy a kit with new shocks? Car is just a street car that I plan on taking out more often on weekend cruises.

• Sponsors (?)

You should be fine to use the Bilstein dampers you currently have, I would recommend calling Maximum Motorsports and talking to them about which spring rates you will want based on how you plan to drive the car, their customer service and parts are awesome! Do you already have aftermarket CC plates?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
You should be fine to use the Bilstein dampers you currently have, I would recommend calling Maximum Motorsports and talking to them about which spring rates you will want based on how you plan to drive the car, their customer service and parts are awesome! Do you already have aftermarket CC plates?
Thanks and will definitely give them a call. I do have some Maximum Motorsports CC plates already installed.

Thanks and will definitely give them a call. I do have some Maximum Motorsports CC plates already installed.
That should make it nice and easy then, and as for the rear you could either leave the springs you already have as is, or get their adjustable lower control arms to set the ride height, or do a coil over conversion on the back. If you do a CO on the rear keep in mind that going over large bumps at an angle, or turning into a steep driveway for example, it's possible for one of the rear shocks to extend to the point where the spring has no compression on it at all, thus making a clunking sound... at least that's possible on the SRA. I've never had that happen but my car has an IRS with CO's all around.

MM has a coil over kit for bilstiens. I have it with conventional, matched springs in the rear. For the spring rates MM recommended to me for a street cruiser (250-325#) it was recommended to go with standard springs out back. I’m running 250# fronts

I've got upr coil over sleeves on El cheapo Monroe OE Spectrum struts. UPR caster / camber plates. Had to knock the top disc off the strut body ( only lightly held on by 2 weak spot welds ). Wrapped one piece of masking tape around the bottom of the strut where the sleeve sits and another piece on the side behind the label sticker. Sleeve fit like a glove and no issues at all. No noises. On my car I run 12 inch 175 springs. They are on the light side but absolutely no issues. My car is set up cheap and I'm sure the struts might not last long but its been a year or so. I'd recommend a heavier spring and adjustable strut if handling is what you're after. My car takes curves well but the body does roll some. Maximum motorsports can't be beat. Bilstien or strange adjustable are way better than cheap Monroe's.

Thanks fellas for the advice. It actually handles pretty good the way it is but I'm not real happy the way it sits. I want to get it sitting down lower to my liking and it seems like coil overs is my best option to fine tune it.

Coilovers are the best thing I ever did. With better parts it would be even better. I was hesitant at first but had to do something because my driveway was too steep for the lowering springs on my car. I actually had to do it to raise my car up. The house I purchased this year has a flat driveway so now it's lowered down a hair lower than the springs had me. The ride is night and day.

Thanks, I plan on getting with MM soon to see what they recommend for my car. On a video that I watched the guy said you have to send in your rear bilstein shocks to have them cut the grove into them for the clip. Is this true?

I also run Bilstein's all around 03 cobra front and rear with MM coil overs and have no complaints. The only thing with the rear is you need to have the shocks machined for the coil overs or you need to purchase shocks through MM. IIRC the website has info about it.

Thanks, I plan on getting with MM soon to see what they recommend for my car. On a video that I watched the guy said you have to send in your rear bilstein shocks to have them cut the grove into them for the clip. Is this true?

Yes, if you install the rear kit.

Keep in mind, you can only install the rear coil-overs if you have a 325# or higher spring up front. That’s getting pretty stiff for a street car. You might be fine with only front c/o and rear conventional.

Edit: the above is referring to max Motorsports kits and recommendations.

Last edited:

Keep in mind, you can only install the rear coil-overs if you have a 325# or higher spring up front. That’s getting pretty stiff for a street car. You might be fine with only front c/o and rear conventional.
That’s how mine is - 12 inch 300 up front ( roads suck here rhe 250 just had the tires scrub way to much ) full upr kit .

Team z drag spring in the rear .

Damn, the rear is the main reason I want to go with coil overs. Needs some fine tuning to get the ride height that I'm after.

DSCF0960.JPG

Griggs coil over kits on my Coupe with 2.5x10-350# springs up front and 2.5x10-200# springs in the rear. Rest of the car is full Maximum Motorsports (k-member, torque arm, panhard bar, etc.). It rides a little stiffer than the old H&R Super Sport spring setup with the Tokico Illuminas (prior to all the MM gear) but it handles better and its not my daily driver.