cold start backfiring issues

bdub

Sep 21, 2007
kinston
well i have a problem that only happens on a cold start, and only sometimes i notice it, the car will turn over and crank then idle, but unless you give it some gas it will cut off, ive replaced the IAC vavle, cleaned the mass air, cleaned the throttle body. the main problem im concerned with is that on the cold start the car will backfire and make a loud pop through the intake, but as soon as the car warms up some it will wont do it again until the next cold start? any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

next, try providing more pics of the girls in your avatar and then go from there. :D

where'd you get the IAC? about 98% of the parts store IAC's i've ever used either crapped out after a few months or just sucked from the get-go. for example: i had some idling issues, so i got a new IAC from Oreilly's. my problem cleared up a little bit, but the surge was still there. after about 2 months, it gradually got worse again, even to the point where the car would stall under decelleration. i ended up taking the IAC back off, cleaning out my ORIGINAL 20 year old ford IAC with carb cleaner and putting it back on. cured all my problems. during cold starts, the eec almost completely looks to the ACT and ECT sensors to determine the amount of fuel needed and the IAC is opened 100%. once the car starts and your key springs back to the "run" position, timing is also determined by the ACT and ECT. if the IAC isn't opening up, that'll definitely cause your stall. if either your ACT and/or your ECT sensors are bad, the eec would fuel map incorrectly (due to the inaccurate coolant and air temp readings) and could be dumping too much fuel for start up which could (and is probably) causing that backfire. hope this helps some.