couple of mild street motor ?s

corey5988

Mar 21, 2008
I thought I had posted this the other night, but it's not showing up in my threads.

I've been debating on what route to go with on my motor for my notch. It will be a 95% street, 5% strip time car, so I want it to be very street friendly. Part of that is that I would like to get atleast mid-teen MPG. The motor setup I've had my eye on is a 408W (Scat rotating assembly, 10.2:1 cr, Type R intake, 90mm TB, unsure on which aluminum heads, mild cam, etc.). Would like to push 500-550WHP.

The other options would be to run the same setup, just as a overbore/stock stroke 351W. Or to toss some aluminum heads, TF intake, different cam, some other supporting mods, and a Novi 2000 blower on my 306 (Scat RA, 9.5:1 cr, ported GT40P heads and intake, 70mm BBK TB, 75mm Granatelli mass air, MSD Pro-billet dizzy & blaster coil, and other little stuff).

I know with the 306 I wouldn't want to push my goal WHP, because of block integrity. But I would rather run 450whp and get decent milage as to have 550whp and get 6-8mpg.

Also the car has 3.27 final gears and a Tremec TKO500 tranny in it. Unsure on the tranny gears.

• Sponsors (?)

I thought I had posted this the other night, but it's not showing up in my threads.

I've been debating on what route to go with on my motor for my notch. It will be a 95% street, 5% strip time car, so I want it to be very street friendly. Part of that is that I would like to get atleast mid-teen MPG. The motor setup I've had my eye on is a 408W (Scat rotating assembly, 10.2:1 cr, Type R intake, 90mm TB, unsure on which aluminum heads, mild cam, etc.). Would like to push 500-550WHP.

The other options would be to run the same setup, just as a overbore/stock stroke 351W. Or to toss some aluminum heads, TF intake, different cam, some other supporting mods, and a Novi 2000 blower on my 306 (Scat RA, 9.5:1 cr, ported GT40P heads and intake, 70mm BBK TB, 75mm Granatelli mass air, MSD Pro-billet dizzy & blaster coil, and other little stuff).

I know with the 306 I wouldn't want to push my goal WHP, because of block integrity. But I would rather run 450whp and get decent milage as to have 550whp and get 6-8mpg.

Also the car has 3.27 final gears and a Tremec TKO500 tranny in it. Unsure on the tranny gears.

What is the question, exactly?

What is the question, exactly?

If my goal is possible with the two 351W based setups (all motor, streetable, 500-550whp, and atleast 13-15MPG). I know I can do streetable and 500-550whp all motor, but my concern is the gas milage. If I would be getting 6-8 mpg with the 351W base I'd just assume get mid-teens and up with a little shy of my hp goal.

A stock stroke 351 isn't going to make 500rwhp in N/A form unless you run some crazy exotic setup that revs to the moon. A 408 can if you do it right, but it probably won't get fantastic gas mileage. Mid teens might be possible, with a well tuned EFI setup, though.

There are plenty of turbo 302s out there living at 500rwhp and knocking down decent gas mileage. :shrug:

Others will chime in on this, I'm sure. Plenty of forced-breathing stock-block 302 guys around here.

If you want decent gas milage and 500 to the rear wheels, I'd look into a turbo, and get in contact with a custom cam grinder before you buy a thing. Let the cam grinder tell you what he thinks it will take to reach your goals.

A naturally asperated 408 will easily put 500 to the rear tires given the right hci, but I'm not sure of the gas milage. I've heard of a 300hp 30mpg 306 floating around, but I'm sure that is a custom setup and not some off the shelf cam. Seams like a few extra cubes, wide open heads and exhaust, a turbo, and a custom cam, ... your goals should be possible. May not be easy, but possible.

A stock stroke 351 isn't going to make 500rwhp in N/A form unless you run some crazy exotic setup that revs to the moon. A 408 can if you do it right, but it probably won't get fantastic gas mileage. Mid teens might be possible, with a well tuned EFI setup, though.

There are plenty of turbo 302s out there living at 500rwhp and knocking down decent gas mileage. :shrug:

Others will chime in on this, I'm sure. Plenty of forced-breathing stock-block 302 guys around here.

If I go all motor I will run as high compression with the combo as I can and run pump premium, and keep a cam and top end that would allow me to rev as high as I could (atleast high as it could do to remain streetable). And no matter what setup it will be EFI, there won't be a carb on the car as long as I have it. I would prefer to stay all motor as long as I can get close to my goals.

my car got 15 mpg mixed city and highway with 5 dragstrip passes also, but seriously man if your that concerned about mileage get a prius.

I'd go 408 but unless you get really nuts with it i dont think it will make 550 to the tire, i think you should set your goal closer to 435 to 500 rwhp and i dont see why that wouldnt get 12-15 mpg if it was running right and the cruising rpms were down, but if your talking city driving and getting that fuel econemy its not gonna happen

Just my 2 cents but if you want a mild street cruiser with good gas mileage and a terror at the strip when you decide to go, then stick with the 306 done right with a 150 to 200 shot, keep the TKO and move up to 4.10's and all your goals are met and you live happily ever after. Before everyone starts crying about filling a bottle on 5% strip time at 30-40 bux a fill it really isn't anything and a 306 is plenty of fun N/A on the street.

Like I said just my
2_cents.gif

Just my 2 cents but if you want a mild street cruiser with good gas mileage and a terror at the strip when you decide to go, then stick with the 306 done right with a 150 to 200 shot, keep the TKO and move up to 4.10's and all your goals are met and you live happily ever after. Before everyone starts crying about filling a bottle on 5% strip time at 30-40 bux a fill it really isn't anything and a 306 is plenty of fun N/A on the street.

Like I said just my
2_cents.gif

I'm not a juice kind of guy and the 3.27s are staying. Came from a 3.73, if anything I'll throw in another set of those. I might just do a stock stroke windsor and boost it later on down the road if I don't stroke it.

Why the HP requirement?

Many moons ago there was a write up on how little rwhp was needed to get a fox into a certain time at the local strip. Many were surprised on how little is actually needed.

I ran the bottom 300hp Edel combo in my Notch...3200lbs without driver and it went 12.501 @ 109 and a 1.771 60ft. 3.55's out back and a 2.95 first, it was either spin, bog or smell clutch. No powershifts.

Now I'm more than positive that with a 26" slick I most likely would have run a 12.2-3 in the quarter on a very mild HCI combo.

I'm with everyone else on here, slap a Hellion kit on your car, get 26 mpg and still spank down a low 12 on a stock HCI.

The great thing about the Fox is everyone and their grandmother has documented combos and results for any one of us to just get out the old credit card and ring up a big bill.

Here's the Hotrod Hooligan buildup.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/405745

I built my car back in 2000, but you betcha if I was doing it all over again, I'd be throwing a HP kit on my car.