Craigslist Interaction...am I Right Or Wrong On This?

deathb4dismount

Crap, didn’t realize my crotch was in that picture
15 Year Member
Oct 6, 2011
THE BUCKET
Me: Lists mustang parts with prices set on craigslist
Potential buyer: What parts do you still have?
Me: All parts still available.
PB: Are prices still the same?
Me: Negotiable, what do you need?
PB: List of parts needed.
Me: Still available, make an offer.
PB: I think it might be best if you set a price.
Me: Prices are listed in add
PB: Ok, I'm good thank you for your time

Me: Wants to pistol whip you and a baby seal for wasting my time you POS!!

Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Me: Lists mustang parts with prices set on craigslist
Potential buyer: What parts do you still have?
Me: All parts still available.
PB: Are prices still the same?
Me: Negotiable, what do you need?
PB: List of parts needed.
Me: Still available, make an offer.
PB: I think it might be best if you set a price.
Me: Prices are listed in add
PB: Ok, I'm good thank you for your time

Me: Wants to pistol whip you and a baby seal for wasting my time you POS!!

Sounds like a typical craigslist conversation to me, and it pisses me off to no end. It amazes me how many people can't put forth the effort to read an add. They either ask those questions you posted or after the deal is done, they want to know where you are located. Which of course was already spelled out in the add. Then they come back "oh that's farther than I thought, could we meet up". Sure, I'll waste $10 of fuel to meet up and sell you a $15 part, jackass.

Sounds like a typical craigslist conversation to me, and it pisses me off to no end. It amazes me how many people can't put forth the effort to read an add. They either ask those questions you posted or after the deal is done, they want to know where you are located. Which of course was already spelled out in the add. Then they come back "oh that's farther than I thought, could we meet up". Sure, I'll waste $10 of fuel to meet up and sell you a $15 part, jackass.

I'd rather have someone low ball me. I'm not lowering the price again before you make an offer.

thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-13575671.png

Reactions: 2 users
I get this a lot. Most of the time they either make a super low ball offer or they just walk. The guys who just make the offer are the guys I work with. If someone wants several parts, I’ll work with them on pricing, but I always price some wiggle room into my parts.

This is normal feedback from potential buyers from Craigslist. I just put some universal racing seats up on Craigslist as well stating I was going to put them in my mustang but decided on a different set of seats. I get "What years mustang will these fit in?" Its like duh there "universal"

My rules for CL.
1. Trust my gut. There's always another buyer/seller out there. The slightest dishonesty or funny feeling = no deal. No stranger gets the benefit of doubt.
2. Don't meet at my house.
3. 5 min drive max to meet anyone when selling (busy public location). Buyers must come to me - learned the hard way. Sucks to be stood up meeting someone an hour away, but when stood up running errands in town is no biggie.
4. Never let them under your skin. As soon as I feel the slightest annoyance, "No soup for you!" (Seinfeld reference). If a buyer stands me up or plays games, he doesn't get a second chance.

Expect the low balls. I keep CL up as one of the tabs on my phone's browser. When they ask questions I already covered in the ad, just send them a link. If they're asking stupid questions, like your buyer, they usually aren't serious. Sending a link takes about 10 secs, and if they keep asking stupid questions, I'll be frank: "If you don't read my ad, then don't bother me again."

I'm sure I miss out on some deals, but everything sells eventually, and this way it cuts the BS and wasted time to a minimum. That's more important to me than every last deal.

Reactions: 4 users
My rules for CL.
1. Trust my gut. There's always another buyer/seller out there. The slightest dishonesty or funny feeling = no deal. No stranger gets the benefit of doubt.
2. Don't meet at my house.
3. 5 min drive max to meet anyone when selling (busy public location). Buyers must come to me - learned the hard way. Sucks to be stood up meeting someone an hour away, but when stood up running errands in town is no biggie.
4. Never let them under your skin. As soon as I feel the slightest annoyance, "No soup for you!" (Seinfeld reference). If a buyer stands me up or plays games, he doesn't get a second chance.

Expect the low balls. I keep CL up as one of the tabs on my phone's browser. When they ask questions I already covered in the ad, just send them a link. If they're asking stupid questions, like your buyer, they usually aren't serious. Sending a link takes about 10 secs, and if they keep asking stupid questions, I'll be frank: "If you don't read my ad, then don't bother me again."

I'm sure I miss out on some deals, but everything sells eventually, and this way it cuts the BS and wasted time to a minimum. That's more important to me than every last deal.

Rule #2 is my #1, haha

Reactions: 1 user
I never meet at my house. That's rule #1. Also, if you message me and speak like an idiot, or someone I just really don't get a good vibe about, I won't respond.

Rule #3 is don't call me bro. I hate that.

I never meet at my house. That's rule #1. Also, if you message me and speak like an idiot, or someone I just really don't get a good vibe about, I won't respond.

Rule #3 is don't call me bro. I hate that.
I hate me people call me “bud”.

I’ll walk away from a deal if someone waits till we’ve made a deal to try to force me to pay the buyers fees. Drives me crazy.

On the note of buyer's fees, I won't take paypal with buyer's protection. Paypal makes it a :leghump:ing nightmare if they claim you sold them a broken part. In the event that paypal can't prove anything, they will judge that the buyer must return the part and you must return their money. So, you're stuck with a now broken part. I learned that when someone bought by old TKO and claimed I sent a useless clutch and a blown synchros. That clutch and transmission came out of my car and worked absolutely fine. The clutch was worn, but still very useable and that's exactly as I advertised it, even talking to the guy on the phone to let him know.

I was never going to accept the transmission back. However, I was preparing for the legal fight to ensure my perfect credit remained intact and to close down my accounts associated with Paypal to prevent shenanigans. In the end, I offered $500 that I shouldn't have to settle. My life is too busy with too many real priorities to deal with meaningless legal fights. Hell, at that time I lived in Kentucky and was TDY for 4 months in Virginia. After that lesson, I would take "gift from family/friends," but never sell anything big with buyer's protection again, at least as a seller. I'd rather not throw away my paypal account, because I do often use it to transfer money to friends/family or buy stuff.

I vastly prefer Craigslist, in person, cash deals. It's buyer beware and I can tell them to go to hell if they're stupid without repercussion. When I'm absolutely sure a part works, like when I take it off of my car, they're not going to get a return/refund. However, right now I'm selling parts that I bought from a guy in bulk, and if one of the buyer's said stuff I'm selling didn't work, I'd let them return it. It's a fine line between being an honest upstanding guy and preventing people from taking advantage of you.

Reactions: 2 users
I too prefer buyers protection. I've walked from a few deals were the seller wanted PayPal gift. Latest was a presale on a GMP diecast that isn't being released til June. No way I'll just pay more to order direct at their site

I'd have no problem doing that for you guys, but not a random person.

@mikestang63, "Why not" LMAO! I sold some OEM '97 Corvette wheels and listed every spec you can possibly think of on them: offset, backspacing, widths, height, radius, weight, lug spacing, standard tire sizes, etc... I wanted them out in preparation for a move and listed them well below what I could eventually have made. I got at least half a dozen responses asking me to do the research to figure out if it would work on their cars, lol. I sent them all the site address of google or didn't reply. hahaha! This kinda stuff actually amuses me, now.

Can't forget the sob stories. I've had people tell me their life story to guilt me in selling something for 50% off my asking price or more. I always counter that if you are in that rough of a financial shape maybe you shouldn't be buying mustang mods?

Then there's the people that ask if I'll take payments on something I'm asking $100 for.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh then the one that pisses me off. Found a set of clean '98 Cobra wheels. Set up time to drive one hour out to get them.

I leave and then get a text halfway there that someone else local just called and came to get them. This was after I was already on the way. I was pissed.

Then there's the hassle I went through to sell my GT40P heads. Since I didn't want to meet at my house..three times I loaded them into car to carry with me to meet a potential seller. Three times they flakes. Three times I carried them back into basement.

I'm literally at the point of digging a hole in the yard and chucking them in.

hahaha! P heads should be an easy sell. I bet you wish they were aluminums now, though. lol

I'm all about first-come first-serve, considering the number of flakes, but selling out from under a guy on his way to buy them is just cold