Cruise Control Cable???

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
So, it's no surprise to me that these things are out of production, but does anyone make a reproduction cable?

I've been chasing a cruise control demon for a couple of years now. The car seems to surge badly on the highway when engaged. I originally chalked it up to my "far from stock" combination of parts and the untuned state of my ECUY and figured I'd live with it until I got around to tuning it.

Well, fast forward to now and the car is tuned but the cruise surges as badly as ever. I attempted to adjust the cable at the throttle body end, but it seemed to make no difference. While I was there, I noticed that the black plastic end of the cable that the adjustment is made from will essentially slide back and forth with next to no resistance on it what so ever....which has me wondering if the cable is either broke, or something is unhooked/broken at the opposite end behind the fender?

I plan on pulling it apart tomorrow (I'm already getting a headache thinking about it), but in the event it's the cable.....where can I get one?

There may be a bright light at the end of the tunnel, as I have a complete cruise control set up from a 4-cylinder car my brother sent to the scrap yard a year or so ago, but I can't find any info to tell me if the 2.3L and 5.0L cars use the same set up or not? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I have an assembly manual for my 89 gt and will look in a few minutes. I have a spare cruze stetup and another on a 91 vert at the yard. I can likely hook you up if you do need a cable, Mine does not work at all but my lazy az has not done anything about it. Back in a min.

Ok I looked and they may be the same but not sure, they have the same #s in the book. I checked for play on mine on the car and no slop. there is a clip that holds it in place. Check the spare 4cyl one and see if it has the clip.

So, a little update. I didn't get around to pulling the cruise control this weekend. Life kinda got in the way. I did adjust the cable some more, which made it slightly better and now confirms the cable hasn't broke. I'm now of rhe opinion that the diaphragm is cracked, or leaking somehow and letting just enough air in/out to cause the surge.

After a little more research, it seems the diaphragm is supposed to be the same for a four-cylinder, or a V-8 car, so when I get the chance I will replace and report back.

Thanks for the offer @karthief . If it turns out my spare diaphragm is no good, I may just take you up on your offer.