danielhv 87 microsquirt project

Just in case you need it or want more specified help, I do offer complete tuning services from base-tune to finish..
I also offer private tuning classes, we use your car as the test mule while we go through things you want to learn.. so alot of the tuning is done while we go thru the class.

If you are interested shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Went for a decent drive this morning... I let the auto tune do its thing for a while on easy, then hard. Then I shut it off and started data logging (figured it does no good to log while changes are being made).

The first part of the log is on the highway, then side roads.

Overall it went well. Only thing that seemed wrong was on the highway, I let off the throttle completely for a bit and the AFR pegged at 22.5 for a while. I see on the fuel table where that happened, but I'm not sure what standard practice is for coasting AFR's.

Side note - I upgraded to MegaLog HD as suggested as well, something else to figure out. :)

Log & tune attached.

Attachments

• 2018-09-07_09.25.12.msl
    4 MB · Views: 138
  • Current Tune.msq
    118.9 KB · Views: 190
Another note, I noticed from idle to go, it kinda "pops" out of idle.... if that makes sense. Feels like it's trying to stick to idle, which I love since the damn thing wouldn't stick to :poo: for me before all of this lol.

I will tell you what i think a bit later i am busy now, however i will tell you to check the 'overrun fuel cut' settings under the fuel tab. If it is on shut it off for now, this will rid you of erroneous lean conditions.

I like to be lean when i lift, wont waste fuel this way.

Another note, I noticed from idle to go, it kinda "pops" out of idle.... if that makes sense. Feels like it's trying to stick to idle, which I love since the damn thing wouldn't stick to :poo: for me before all of this lol.
that has alot to do with the AE settings, when datalogging hit the spacebar to tag this spot with a red line when it happens so i know what to look at.

Sigh

One step forward, two steps back. Fuse holder that supplies power to the fans melted.

IMG_20180907_172616.jpg

I use the MS to trigger my fans, this way I can turn them on under a number of conditions. Temp, AC running, and to keep them off if the car is below 500rpm or above 45mph.... can the micro do all this, no. But it can do most of it.

I use 2 fuses parallel feeding 2 40A relays parallel this way the relays share the fan load and dont burn up.
Use a minimum of #12 wire for all the wiring, this will hold up run in parallel. I used #10 because overkill.

I use a MarkVIII fan it pulls a lot of juice and I never have any issues wired this way.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I notice alot of things that will cause jerky operation.
-you need to smooth out your VE table it has hard lines where the fuel transitions need to happen, this will make the car jerk and buck as you accelerate from a stop.
- the ignition table looks weak and not very well built, this is common with most base tunes i have run into.

Fans are fixed and took it for a little drive today. First half of the drive I let autotune do it's thing on HARD setting. Second half, I just datalogged and then used VEAnalyze.

Drive-ability seems fairly solid, only died once while i was pulling out of a parking spot. I'm guessing I didn't let the idle stabilize enough before I started trying to back out. The combination of gear changes and power steering bogged it down. Fired back up, no issues afterwards.

Not real sure what to look for at this point. Previously you mentioned that my ignition table was weak, and the VE table needed some smoothing. I smoothed some of it out, but the ignition table I'm not real sure where to begin. I'm also not sure when it's appropriate to move on to the Accel Enrichment setup. Suggestions?

ig.JPG ve.JPG

Dont move forward until you get the fuel table worked on alot more.. that is still very choppy, I am surprised it runs well.

The ignition table: you need to have advance in it early (assuming an auto) so 1500 rpm you want 28ish* by 2500rpm you want 42ish* these numbers are below 75kpa.

It is an auto now. 4r70w. Had no idea I needed to be that advanced in timing. Can't run the car until tomorrow morning, but I tried smoothing these out more. The first 3 columns on the ignition table are the"timing valley".... not sure if I needed to utilize the entire column for it.

ig.JPG ve.JPG

Fuel table is much smoother but you will have to see if you went to far.
Ignition table is closer, add more advance in the lower kpa ranges above 2k 40* is nothing in the low load/kpa areas I run 42* or more.

the low load [low kpa] range the engine runs in is very resistant to spark knock, so you can run more timing. Also you tend to run much leaner mixtures in these ranges [14.4-15] these lean fuel mixtures need more timing to ensure you get a full burn. the extra timing mitigates what people describe as bucking or surging with lean mixtures as well. Leaning the engine out reduces power output so the timing helps bump the power back up also.

Short drive today. Fuel table was too lean in low to mid range. Pulled over and made manual corrections to get it close, then used VE Analyze in MLVHD set on hard to narrow it down a little more.

Will continue the process with a longer drive, trying to utilize a little more of the rpm range to see how it does. I expect there will be more tweaking to do.

here is a hint, in MLVHD make a custom field, [ AFR/ AFR target1]

this will give you a value to use to manually adjust the fuel table with, just multiply the value into that area of the fuel table.

you can also use the histogram x=rpm y=map z=afr Z2= target afr to see how far off the map is from target

Question: In MLVHD, I know you can jump to the peak and min for any parameter.... but is there a way to find variances in the middle values?

For instance, is there a way to see any deviation from AFT Target 1 vs AFR greater than 2.0? Or do I just have to hunt and peck through the entire log looking for those differences?

For things like those you dont want to look at one instance, you want to use the entire log file. Transient events can cause the o2 to read strange numbers.

Try using the histogram to point out fuel issues over large areas.

like this.
Steve Log Histogram.PNG