danielhv 87 microsquirt project

For things like those you dont want to look at one instance, you want to use the entire log file. Transient events can cause the o2 to read strange numbers.

Try using the histogram to point out fuel issues over large areas.

like this.

Ok, I pulled this up in MLVHD, and I'm starring at it trying to figure out what this is telling me..... Here are my assumptions:

The color is how "often" the car was operating in that range, so dark green was where I was most of the time, light yellow was just for a second or so....
The number is how high or low on average my AFR was vs AFR target? So at 1600rpm at 100kpa, I averaged a full 2.75 points lean vs my target AFR?

Capture.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I'm still working on the fuel table... but is there a way to smooth out the idle a little during warm up? It's fluctuating quite a bit. I'll come back and fine tune the warm up, but just want to make it a little more stable at the moment. I've tinkered with the ASE, ASE Taper, and the CL Idle Target RPM, but can't seem to get it to pick an RPM and hang out there lol.

When it starts up, it idles around my normal idle rpm for a few seconds, then jumps up to like 1400 rpm for 6 or 7 seconds, then starts fluctuating. It stops fluctuating as soon as the car hits 140* CLT, which is also when the CL Idle RPM tapers off.

Log attached

Attachments

• 2018-10-05_15.43.29.msl
    631.7 KB · Views: 122
your idle sett
Ok, I'm still working on the fuel table... but is there a way to smooth out the idle a little during warm up? It's fluctuating quite a bit. I'll come back and fine tune the warm up, but just want to make it a little more stable at the moment. I've tinkered with the ASE, ASE Taper, and the CL Idle Target RPM, but can't seem to get it to pick an RPM and hang out there lol.

When it starts up, it idles around my normal idle rpm for a few seconds, then jumps up to like 1400 rpm for 6 or 7 seconds, then starts fluctuating. It stops fluctuating as soon as the car hits 140* CLT, which is also when the CL Idle RPM tapers off.

Log attached
look at this,
danielhv idle issues.PNG

As soon as the Idle advanced adaptive timing kicks in your set and the car settles in. I bet you have it set to turn on at 140*.

Have you worked on the startup idle settings??
--whats the start to run taper time?
-- set the activation settings?

Your root cause is the timing swing [spk: spark advance] this needs to be mitigated to eliminate the oscillation with other settings.

Yes Idle advanced adaptive timing is set to turn on at 140.

I just tinkered with the settings when I first started trying to get the car running. Tried to follow the manual, but not all of it is applicable to my car, so I guessed on some of it. :/

If Start to Run Taper Time is the same as Crank to Run Taper Time, I have it set at 9.0 seconds.
Activation Settings:

1538797922488.png

simple solution for you to help kickstart the CL idle process.

change the temp that the idle advance control starts to something lower. This will help, but you still need to work out the other issues you have with the surging idle.

another short run around the block today now that weather has finally cleared up a little. At what point am I safe to proceed to working on accel enrichment? I'm not certain how "clean" of a histogram I should be expecting.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 120
that looks fine, when tuning the accel enrichment you want to make the car responsive. tune for a crisp throttle response, ignore whatever the wideband is saying during the enrichment pulse. the car is likely going to be very rich 11ish AFR during the enrichment pulse but this is what a crispy throttle needs.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a quick update, the car feels good. Drives well, throttle response is good, rolling in to WOT feels good, punching WOT feels good...

Only struggle is the warm up phase. It seems to continue a little hunting. I've tinkered away, and have given myself many headaches starting at graphs in MLVHD. Thought I'd post up a log that was running during warmup to see if you could provide some insight. Attached.

Attachments

• 2018-12-20_09.30.50.msl
    11.2 MB · Views: 137
Its all Ign related my good sir, like in the previous posts when the idle advance kicks in the idle settles right in. This is because it helps stop the swings in the ignition timing. Post a copy of your tune for me and i will make the changes for you then you can review them to see what i did.

Its all Ign related my good sir, like in the previous posts when the idle advance kicks in the idle settles right in. This is because it helps stop the swings in the ignition timing. Post a copy of your tune for me and i will make the changes for you then you can review them to see what i did.

Attached. Thank you!

Attachments

• 2018-12-20_16.46.17.msq
    118.9 KB · Views: 120
Now i made some changes to the ignition curve and idle settings. If they dont work out for your application take a look at the idle advance settings and simply copy them to your current tune file.

Attachments

• danielhv.REV.1.0.0.msq
    119 KB · Views: 168
Now i made some changes to the ignition curve and idle settings. If they dont work out for your application take a look at the idle advance settings and simply copy them to your current tune file.

Seems to idle more firm, hunted a bit at first. Once warmed up I blipped the throttle and it kinda stuttered though. Didn't do it every time. Logs attached of warm up and throttle blipping.

Attachments

• 2018-12-21_10.59.19.msl
    3.1 MB · Views: 124
  • Blip.msl
    235.5 KB · Views: 120
Ok the trottle blip issue is from a lack of fuel on the accel enrichment. If you look at the AFR; TPS; fuel:accel; pw1 you can see that you go lean when you should go rich. This can be two things: VE table may need to be tuned or is not tuned in this area; Accel enrichment needs to be tuned.

looking at the log file your Accel enrichment needs to increased by 1.3pw 'or so' at 700tpsdot....

the hunting idle looks terrible, ignition related still. Lets try something else.
Take note of the changes i have made if they are worse or better this way you can see what direction to go.

Attachments

• danielhv.REV.1.0.1.msq
    111.1 KB · Views: 143
Ok the trottle blip issue is from a lack of fuel on the accel enrichment. If you look at the AFR; TPS; fuel:accel; pw1 you can see that you go lean when you should go rich. This can be two things: VE table may need to be tuned or is not tuned in this area; Accel enrichment needs to be tuned.

looking at the log file your Accel enrichment needs to increased by 1.3pw 'or so' at 700tpsdot....

the hunting idle looks terrible, ignition related still. Lets try something else.
Take note of the changes i have made if they are worse or better this way you can see what direction to go.

Log attached. Seems to hunt more now, sometimes at random. Blips at very end, resulting in hunting afterwards. Also dropped 2 marks where it was idling fine, and then all of a sudden started hunting.

Are all cars/motors this big of a pain in the ass?

Attachments

• 2018-12-24_19.19.27.msl
    4.2 MB · Views: 114
Log attached. Seems to hunt more now, sometimes at random. Blips at very end, resulting in hunting afterwards. Also dropped 2 marks where it was idling fine, and then all of a sudden started hunting.

Are all cars/motors this big of a pain in the ass?
Mostly yes. Lol. It's difficult to make idle changes over datalog and tune change. It takes forever, usually in person this takes about a half hour to nail down. Make a small change and see how it reacts, doing it the way we are it takes much longer I have to make a change and then wait to see what that change does.
I'm not near my PC, try shutting the idle advance off completely and see what happens.

How is this coming along?

Well, I tuned out for a while lol. Haven't messed with it in a while. Started it up and drove around for a bit yesterday, seemed a little rough. I recall that I backed the idle set screw out a little previously to try and achieve a lower idle, and I'm guessing now that it's hot, it's too much? So I ran it back in a little and it seems to idle ok, but a little rich maybe? When I lower the VE values for the idle though, it seems to want to hunt. Also, CL Idle stays on 90% of the time, is that normal? Latest log attached, startup, idle, warmup, all sitting still.

Attachments

• 2020-08-09_16.34.04.mlg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
One of the many benefits of the MS platform is that you are able to make the necessary idle valve changes in the software. You really shouldn't mess with the idle valve screw, but update the isle settings in the software.

Reactions: 1 user