Digital Immigrant

what your looking for is *spark advance *
-Spark: spark advance = this is what the engine is actually running
-spark: base = the base table with no modifiers
-spark : you can find alot of the spark modifier tables in the datalog

I just looked and at WOT you are commanding 33* of advance thats too much if your not running premium

• Sponsors (?)

Since you are just starting out I figured i would help you out a bit... hope you dont mind.

When you load this tune in it will give you a chance to look at the differences between the two.... you will notice most of the changes are to how the tables are laid out in the rpm colums and kpa rows.... I moved them around to give you more detail in the areas you are in most as you drive. I also loaded in an ignition table I use in my base tunes.

Attachments

• Freeman2005 REV1.0.1.msq
    114.4 KB · Views: 122
Since you are just starting out I figured i would help you out a bit... hope you dont mind.

When you load this tune in it will give you a chance to look at the differences between the two.... you will notice most of the changes are to how the tables are laid out in the rpm colums and kpa rows.... I moved them around to give you more detail in the areas you are in most as you drive. I also loaded in an ignition table I use in my base tunes.

Thanks for the help--I obviously need it. I loaded the tune and drove around for a while. BTW I am running 87 octane. It ran okay , but still pinging until heavy load. It seemed to run smoother in transitions from acceleration to deceleration with my previous tune. Somehow I managed to lose the datalog from your tune. I'll get another soon.

It appears that you are never getting above 45% TPS or no more than about half throttle, if this is the case great. If you are planting your foot to the floor and only getting 45% then the TPS sensor needs to be recalibrated.
I attempted to find an ignition load table from a truck ecu for you but i could not seem to find one.... I simply removed timing to give a total of about 26* in the high load areas of your ignition map to stop the pinging... this is good and gives me a baseline for 87 octane tunes once we get it figured out.
While i was making the changes and looking through the log files I also played with the idle settings to try and steady the idle more for you, I made two versions of the tune. Both are REV 1.1.0 however one tune is setup for closed loop idle and the other open loop [you will see open loop on the file name]

in case you dont have MLVHD i figured i would share some of the things i look at when judging a tune...

Freeman histogram.PNG

This is a Histogram, I am currently looking at what 'cells' or blocks your engine was running in. This table is setup exactly like your VE1 fuel table, i did this by importing your table after i loaded your tune into MLVHD. The Z axis on this table is set to AFR ERROR this is a custom field i created to see how far off your fuel is in each cell, it divides AFR1/AFR TARGET1 to give me a multiplier value. This value can then be used by multiplying into the VE table to reach the desired AFR, less than 1 gives you a smaller VE number reducing fuel and greater than 1 increases the VE value. This is the method i use to adjust fuel on High powered engines where a guess could be catastrophic.

Freeman scatterplot.PNG

This is a scatterplot, it takes all the information and lets you plot it out on a graph... I love this tool, on the left i am viewing the effective used area of the engine. Notice that there are areas that the plot never reaches, this allows me to figure out where to focus my attention when tuning a fuel map.
The plot on the right is how i determine a decent tune from a rough one, once the parameters are set i also turn all the filters on to get rid of the abnormal events. This should look like a straight line from one corner to the other, based on this information your tune is in great shape! only a little bit of work left to do to the fuel and your good to go.

Attachments

• Freeman2005 REV1.1.0 open loop.msq
    117 KB · Views: 121
  • Freeman2005 REV1.1.0.msq
    117 KB · Views: 106
Happy New Year! Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance! For some reason my truck doesn't like the suggested tunes. When loaded the idle searches a lot and while driving the RPM hangs at 2000+ when I let off the gas. There is also a good deal of stumbling on acceleration. I reloaded my previous tune and spent a good deal of time massaging the idle settings according to your post #221. Now on cold start it goes to about 1500 RPM and gradually settles to about 850-900 when the CLT comes up. I do have MLVHD and have been looking through my datalogs to try and identify issues. I'm getting more familiar with it and it makes more sense now. I did a couple data logs and made sure I got to full throttle on some 2nd/3rd gear pulls. The TPS is calibrated and working well. My ignition table tops out at 29.7 WOT now and I got a little detonation pulling a steep hill at full throttle so I may dial it back just a little more.

Attachments

• 2019-01-01_09.37.05.msl
    3 MB · Views: 104
  • CurrentTune.msq
    114 KB · Views: 104
Thats looking better, however there is an issue with the way the idle advance is setup in your tune. I changed it in this version if you want to check the difference out.

Attachments

• Freeman2005 REV1.1.1.msq
    117.1 KB · Views: 114
Thanks for all the help with this! I've been doing some 45 minute data logs and accepting the analysis from MegaViewer. It seems to be leaning out a lot of the midrange VE table. Acceleration is good, cruise is good. I still need to do a little work on the idle. The bigger issue I would like to work on is fuel economy. It is worse than the stock ECU and I'm not sure of the best way to attack that problem. Should I scale back the timing in the cruise ranges or keep leaning out the fuel?

Attachments

• MyCar_2018-12-22_14.33.22.msq
    111.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 2019-01-25_09.25.13.msl
    13.5 MB · Views: 103
Hey i was gonna take a look and suggest some changes but i think you uploaded the wrong tune file to go along with the datalogs. Alot of gains to be made still with some timing {increase} and AFR table changes. the tune looks close its just the final touches now.