• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Does a large plug gap really cause pinging?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 99FiveOh
  • Start date Start date Sep 3, 2009
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Sep 3, 2009
#1
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • #1
I've been battling a pinging issue on a car that runs relatively well, but has high mileage. No engine codes at all and 9~10* base timing on a new balancer. Running 89 octane. 93 octane will clear it up, but I'm not going to spend the extra money on it.

My EGR is non-functioning; though it is still there, just blocked off with a penny. But it was pinging before I took the EGR offline.

I read on a couple threads that larger plug gaps "could" cause this problem, but I didnt' see anyone confirm this.

Now, I've owned a few Foxes and a few SN's in my time and my Fox cars NEVER pinged, even on the hottest day with 14* timing and 87 octane.. well, maybe a ping here or there if it was crappy gas

So, one of the big differences in these cars is plug gap. I believe Foxes ran somewhere in the low 30's and our cars want like a 55 gap IIRC.

Could it be that simple? Anyone with first hand experience battling a pinging problem confirm this?
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 3, 2009
#2
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • #2
My car pings like an Asian Whore in the summer at mid throttle and low rpm. It's so weird, wide open, no problem. Never been able to get it to stop completely, but putting a oil/air seperator on the PCV line helped a little bit. I also don't have an EGR. I'm not sure how much difference the plugs make, but you can try? It doesn't take long to pull them out.

Kurt
 
G

GDTrumbo

Member
Jan 22, 2009
199
0
17
Nashville, TN
Sep 3, 2009
#3
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • #3
Try this. Clean the MAF sensor, temp sensor (use MAF cleaner only!) and TB out. Set the plug gap to spec's and hook the EGR back up. Disconnect the battery for 15 min's & let the PCM reconfigure itself and drive it again.

The EGR actually helps reduce cylinder temps as well as help with emissions. Higher cyl. temps help induce "pinging". Contrary to popular belief, removing it does not produce more power. It usually just causes the PCM to throw codes.

GT
 

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Sep 3, 2009
#4
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • #4
But removing the EGR does help with the expensive EGR tube that BBK want's for their headers!

I just installed a pieced-together CAI yesterday and while I was in there I cleaned the MAF and the ACT was spotless! I can feel a HUGE improvement in power just with the CAI, but it still pings. I'm been around these cars for a long time and have tried pretty much all the rememdies accept regapping the plugs. I'm going to try that and see what happens.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 3, 2009
#5
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • #5
The_Mustang said:
But removing the EGR does help with the expensive EGR tube that BBK want's for their headers!
Click to expand...

I just rebent the stock tube on the 94' Cobra I just did. It took maybe 15 minutes to get it to fit. It's not too bad.

Kurt
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 3, 2009
#6
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • #6
Aero foxes and our cars run the same 0.052-0.056" gap.



You could try running one range colder if you want (i.e. Autolite 24's).
 
9

947166

New Member
Feb 22, 2006
4
0
1
Sep 4, 2009
#7
  • Sep 4, 2009
  • #7
+1 for colder plugs.

I have a 94 that is basically stock except for underdrive pullies, CAI, high flow cats and Flowmaster cat back exhaust. It pinged a lot under load, I changed the plugs to 1 heat range colder and the pinging went away completely.
 

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Sep 4, 2009
#8
  • Sep 4, 2009
  • #8
Really??!! And how much timing is it allowing you to run now? Any side effects to performance or SOTP feel?
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 5, 2009
#9
  • Sep 5, 2009
  • #9
No side effects with one range colder. The colder plugs help more with preignition than detonation (regarding your timing advance question).

Though it might have had some detonation with the EGR functional, having the EGR gasses blocked while still having the EGR electronics thinking it's functional cannot help the issue.

You could try locking the timing if you want.
 

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Sep 5, 2009
#10
  • Sep 5, 2009
  • #10
Or I could throw a Fox puter in there and have some fun for a change. I remember having "FUN" with my fox cars, throwing all kinds of mods at em without much regard to the "tune". Don't get me wrong, I love our SN95's, I can never get used to having a box on wheels again.

Since so many people want Fox (A9x) drivability out of our cars, why can't someone put out a chip that will basically turn our computers into Fox computers? Ours are supposed to be more advanced, correct? So it's not difficult to emulate a slower computer with a faster one.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Sep 5, 2009
#11
  • Sep 5, 2009
  • #11
NM.
 

final5-0

Mustang Master
Apr 6, 2003
6,817
12
79
DFW Texas
Sep 5, 2009
#12
  • Sep 5, 2009
  • #12
revhead347 said:
My car pings like an Asian Whore in the summer at mid throttle and low rpm. It's so weird, wide open, no problem. Never been able to get it to stop completely, but putting a oil/air seperator on the PCV line helped a little bit. I also don't have an EGR. I'm not sure how much difference the plugs make, but you can try? It doesn't take long to pull them out.

Kurt
Click to expand...

If you look at the spark table in that little silver box
it would make perfect sense

Grady
 

final5-0

Mustang Master
Apr 6, 2003
6,817
12
79
DFW Texas
Sep 5, 2009
#13
  • Sep 5, 2009
  • #13
The_Mustang said:
Or I could throw a Fox puter in there and have some fun for a change. I remember having "FUN" with my fox cars, throwing all kinds of mods at em without much regard to the "tune". Don't get me wrong, I love our SN95's, I can never get used to having a box on wheels again.

Since so many people want Fox (A9x) drivability out of our cars, why can't someone put out a chip that will basically turn our computers into Fox computers? Ours are supposed to be more advanced, correct? So it's not difficult to emulate a slower computer with a faster one.
Click to expand...

It is important to remember the almighty Fox A9L

It may allow more mods without acting up
but
If peeps think a serious effort with mods .......
will be in good tune without it being optimized .............

Well ... Their name IS Alice
and
They DO in fact ... Live in Wonder Land

I'm just trying to point out .......
drivability and max efficiency ain't the same thing

Now ... Here is the REAL reason 94-95's ping

Ever wonder why the 94-95 Cobra boys don't sing about ping
but
The GT peeps cry all the way down the road to ... Ping City

Folks ... Its all about how Ford setup the pcm in the GT & Cobra

The GT is just on the verge of ping when it rolled off the line from Ford

The Cobra has a bit more fuel in place
and
A bit less spark

Both will cause the Cobra to not ping as the GT does so often

Another thing I've seen is .....
the combustion chambers in GT's E7's can promote ping

Several years ago I laid back the c walls just a tiny bit in a set of E7's
while I had them off for some down home self porting and ping went
away even though I was runnin 36 for total spark

Grady
 

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Sep 5, 2009
#14
  • Sep 5, 2009
  • #14
As far as I know, the E7's in my 94 are exactly the same castings as those found in 93 and prior 5.0's, but miraculously, they don't ping! Why? Cause they have a computer that cares more about performance than emissions.

I've been around these forums long enough to have read the countless debates about tuning vs PIH..etc, etc..

I just don't think it's cost effective to get a dyno tune for trivial things such as pinging, tip in retard, fan controls, etc, when those things should have been ironed out on our beloved 'Stangs before they rolled off the assembly line. They took care of those things with the Fox, why not the SN95?

I know, I know...to properly set up a Fox computer in my car will cost around the same as a dyno tune, however, what happens when I want to add a part? Say a new cam or heads? It's back to the dyno to hand over at least another 200 bucks on top of the 4-500.00 I already spent on the first dyno tune.

I understand an A9L won't be optimal, but it'll be close and more importantly, it will be driveable! That's the key word for most guys, they'd rather leave 10-15hp on the table in the name of great drivability... but here's the kicker... ready? 9 out of 10 people who have swapped claim to have GAINED hp and lowered ET's!! But how can that be when the T4MO is FASTER??? More superior!!!

Do you realize that NASA uses the same ancient technology to launch space shuttles as they did many years ago? That's right. Most of the launch software is still contained on old fashioned real to real tape drives. Why? Because it works. Why mess with success right.

It has always been hit or miss with these cars I'll tell ya. My last one was an awesome ride, yes I got it tuned, but I just spent about 3500 bucks on a supercharger and supporting hardware so the car was worthy of a tune. But not a stock car, it's not worthy of 500$ in tuning. Last I knew, cars were supposed to have good drivability from the factory.

Ford always seemed to have a "Fix" for these types of problems, but I must have missed the technical service bulletin in the mail, or the recall paper.

-end rant
 

final5-0

Mustang Master
Apr 6, 2003
6,817
12
79
DFW Texas
Sep 6, 2009
#15
  • Sep 6, 2009
  • #15
The_Mustang said:
As far as I know, the E7's in my 94 are exactly the same castings as those found in 93 and prior 5.0's, but miraculously, they don't ping! Why? Cause they have a computer that cares more about performance than emissions.

I just don't think it's cost effective to get a dyno tune for trivial things such as pinging, tip in retard, fan controls, etc, when those things should have been ironed out on our beloved 'Stangs before they rolled off the assembly line. They took care of those things with the Fox, why not the SN95?
Click to expand...

I'm right with ya Mark

Yes ... Its not cost effective to pay a Pro or Purchase self tuning
equipment to deal with the things you speak about

Agree or disagree with what Ford did ... makes no difference

I just wanted to help GT peeps see what they are up against

I will stand firm about my findings with those old iron E7's

Before I ever got involved in self tuning I was able to run 18 with
my old combo which would have put total advance at about 34
and I did not have to deal with ping. Only difference was a different
set of E7's and the work I did on them.

Again ... I see and can relate to your thinking

Grady
 
T

turbogt

Member
May 1, 2003
723
16
19
Montana
Sep 6, 2009
#16
  • Sep 6, 2009
  • #16
final5-0 said:
It is important to remember the almighty Fox A9L

It may allow more mods without acting up
but
If peeps think a serious effort with mods .......
will be in good tune without it being optimized .............

Well ... Their name IS Alice
and
They DO in fact ... Live in Wonder Land

I'm just trying to point out .......
drivability and max efficiency ain't the same thing

Now ... Here is the REAL reason 94-95's ping

Ever wonder why the 94-95 Cobra boys don't sing about ping
but
The GT peeps cry all the way down the road to ... Ping City

Folks ... Its all about how Ford setup the pcm in the GT & Cobra

The GT is just on the verge of ping when it rolled off the line from Ford

The Cobra has a bit more fuel in place
and
A bit less spark

Both will cause the Cobra to not ping as the GT does so often

Another thing I've seen is .....
the combustion chambers in GT's E7's can promote ping

Several years ago I laid back the c walls just a tiny bit in a set of E7's
while I had them off for some down home self porting and ping went
away even though I was runnin 36 for total spark

Grady
Click to expand...



My cobra has NEVER pinged, even when lugged on a hot ass day
 

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Sep 6, 2009
#17
  • Sep 6, 2009
  • #17
uh, ok?? I think Grady was just confirming that fact when he said "Ever wonder why the 94-95 Cobra boys don't sing about ping"

I believe it's a combination between the head design and tune. I wonder what a J4J1 computer would do with E7's?
 

earleys94gt

Active Member
Aug 31, 2003
1,223
16
49
Ashley, Ohio
Sep 6, 2009
#18
  • Sep 6, 2009
  • #18
If memory serves me correctly, aren't the E7 heads off the trucks; like 302 F150's?

So, do they have the ping problem too?

Do the trucks have the 24 lbs. injectors like the Cobra's do?

Is it just a simple matter of more fuel?
 

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Sep 7, 2009
#19
  • Sep 7, 2009
  • #19
Yes, E7's were originally a truck head. I doubt the trucks have the pinging problem because they are built to be under heavy loads and rough running conditions all the time. And since they are the top seller for Ford (have been for many years) they always had to be spot on as far as drivability and reliability.

Our cars were built to bridge the short gap between Fox's and the 4.6 powered Mustangs. So the cars are really a hack to begin with. While they are a refined vehicle compared to Foxes, it doesn't look like enough attention was paid to the tuning they gave us. Again, like the F150's, they knew the Cobra's would get "Used" for their purpose, so they took a little more time in making sure they'd be reliable.

Anyway you slice it, the GT's got the short end of the stick! Even V6's seem to take punishment better than GT's do!!
 

GTA_V6_Mustang

Active Member
Nov 29, 2004
1,326
3
39
Miami, FL
Sep 7, 2009
#20
  • Sep 7, 2009
  • #20
Well I had a horrid pinging problem too on one of my 94's with e7's. What I ended up doing was seafoaming it, cleaning MAF and IAT and using 1 range colder plugs and it was good. Then when I changed to a 70mm t/b and P&P cobra upper and lower was able to run more timing with less problems, I remember reading something about the better fuel/air distribution of the GT40/Cobra intakes. And to help it even further a phenolic intake spacer allowed even more timing without pinging. And as far as my 2 sn's go ive never had issues with driveability and mods. Especially the red one and believe me if one was going to have driveability issues with an aggressive cam my red one would. I guess it all has to do with the way you keep it too. The smallest vacuum leaks you dont even realize you have all add up and cause issues. I keep my cars running tip top so driveability never seems to be an issue with my sn's

Oh and to answer the original post I personally think lowering plug gap helps a little. Like I said It was one of the things I did that helped.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

I
98 Mustang GT dying
  • ItsMason
  • May 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
194
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 25, 2026
lenzgt
L
R
94’ SN95 - Intermittent lope & bogging at moderate rpm
  • Red5.0ho
  • Nov 2, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
5
Views
533
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Nov 3, 2025
General karthief
Hard to start when engine is cold
  • 86_Capri
  • Mar 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
R
1994 GT 5.0L crank no start
  • Red1994MustangGT
  • Apr 15, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
1K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Aug 19, 2025
Kurt_MO
K
Mustang II 4 cyl gear hunting and possibly messed up vacuum system
  • oesterreicher
  • May 31, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
11
Views
458
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Jun 14, 2026
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?