Roush does this kinda stuff make anyone else mad?

SSS281

Founding Member
Dec 27, 2001
Kutztown, PA
basically just have a gripe with faleens running graphics, stickers, and especially numbers & plaques..if there were no faleens the real saleens would get more respect. if you roll up to a crowd in a viper you hear 'ooh a viper...nice' you roll up in a saleen you hear 'is it real?'

• Sponsors (?)

Hey,

Lets face it, imitation is the highest form of flattery. The only ones that irritate me are the ones that try and pass of their faleen as real. Or, they try to say that because they got all the parts form Saleen, and steve signed it, it is now real. NOT! Steve will sign your bicycle seat if you ask him to, that has nothing to do with it. The fact is, there are Saleen's and there are modded mustangs.

A "real" Saleen is a piece of history and carries with it the exclusivity of being a serialized limited production vehicle. That is what will matter in the future to collectors when it comes down to it. The common misconception is that just because it says Saleen, it is the fastest Mustang around. Now, if you're talking about the R-code S351's, you might be right. But that's not really the case with many of the others, especially the 96-98 s281's.

Bottom line: a Saleen is what it is, a limited production collectable to the "right people". A true Saleen enthisiast/collector wouldn't even consider a faleen, but that doesn't account for your average Mustang guy that's into go-fast mods and a slick looking ride...

sal07b said:
Hey,

Lets face it, imitation is the highest form of flattery. The only ones that irritate me are the ones that try and pass of their faleen as real. Or, they try to say that because they got all the parts form Saleen, and steve signed it, it is now real. NOT! Steve will sign your bicycle seat if you ask him to, that has nothing to do with it. The fact is, there are Saleen's and there are modded mustangs.

A "real" Saleen is a piece of history and carries with it the exclusivity of being a serialized limited production vehicle. That is what will matter in the future to collectors when it comes down to it. The common misconception is that just because it says Saleen, it is the fastest Mustang around. Now, if you're talking about the R-code S351's, you might be right. But that's not really the case with many of the others, especially the 96-98 s281's.

Bottom line: a Saleen is what it is, a limited production collectable to the "right people". A true Saleen enthisiast/collector wouldn't even consider a faleen, but that doesn't account for your average Mustang guy that's into go-fast mods and a slick looking ride...

Amen :hail2:

Well I dont need to worry about it. Nobody make's the corect side skirts or front bumper cover for the 84-86 car's. That and mine is the only one like it. :D

That doese suck for you guy's though. At least you know your's is the real deal and not some fake bolted together piece of poop.

kyle

I agree, anyone trying to pass off a "FALEEN" as a SALEEN is a tool. But, imitation is the highest form of flattery. I wanted a Saleen when I bought my GT, but the best deal I could find was $23k for an N/A '01 w/43k miles. I bought my '03 GT w/13k miles for $16k.
I picked up a brand new, authentic polyurethane Saleen kit, Saleen wheels, racecraft suspension, and full Borla exhaust for $2,500. (I bought off a guy who was planning on putting it all on his Cobra, but bought an '05 when it came out)
I plan on installing the body kit later this month, but I WILL NOT put bumper serial numbers or dash plaques on it. And, I will never say "Yeah its authentic". I LOVE the sexy looks of a Saleen, and envy all of you guys.

likewise...im going to have a repro saleen, not a real one..and I will tell anyone who asks, no its not a real one...quite frankly I think anyone who has a faker, and trys to pass it off as real is a tool....

Maybe Saleen should only allow authorized Saleen owners to purchase windshield or sidestrip sitckers. This might reduce the "attack of the clone syndrome" but then again why would they hurt their profit margin?

not that i am trying to open a can of worms but i have a Saleen repo w/ decals etc. when asked the question, i am not a tool about it, i tell the truth! as a matter of fact my car started its life as a 4cyl automatic converted to a 5.0 & 5 speed. after that i bought all the parts to build 1990 Saleen SC repo. i do understand what you are saying however i am a true Saleen enthusiast & have been for almost 14 years. please dont assume otherwise. i built a repo w/ my own 2 hands from the ground up & see nothing wrong w/ it as long as its done right & you dont lie about it!
in fact i have quite a few Saleen friend who i met after all the work on my car that think it i did a great job w/ it & see nothing wrong with it. i figured that a few people wouldnt like what i did but i could care less. i got what i wanted & it makes me happy. atleast i know who built my car (me) & it was done right. no one else laid a hand on my car during the build up. its nothing like the 4cyl it started out as.
Jay-

There are quite a few replicas around here. It does get on my nerves when somone at a car show calls my 96 a fake. A tastefully done replica is nice. I had one that was going to be my racecar for awhile, but I sold the car and kept the parts. I would like to build another to drive everyday or find decent high mileage one to drive everyday. Most fakes around here don't have the badging and plaques.

S351R"Animal" said:
There are quite a few replicas around here. It does get on my nerves when somone at a car show calls my 96 a fake. A tastefully done replica is nice. I had one that was going to be my racecar for awhile, but I sold the car and kept the parts. I would like to build another to drive everyday or find decent high mileage one to drive everyday. Most fakes around here don't have the badging and plaques.

Would you be interested in a real Saleen to drive daily. We made an offer on a house here in SoCal and it was accepted. :D I need to free up some cash, so I am selling my 95 S351. If you or anyone else is interested I will be posting it for sale in the classifieds and a few other websites tomorrow. If no serious offers are made, I will be putting it on ebay the beginning of next week :(

Special thanks to Marcus for all the help he has been on the purchase of our new home :hail2:

I got news for you guys, if saleen didn't sell parts to anyone that wanted them, it would drive the price of real saleens through the friggin roof, as if they already aren't high.
Funding makes the automobile business go around.

Kinda like people that hate 4 bangers and v6's, without them ford wouldn't be able to fund the v8's.

Stop whining and take pleasure in the fact that you can say "yup, it's real".

:flame: Well, Here's my 2 cents feel free to hammer me if you want.. BUT I call my Mustang a Saleen! If someone says IS IT REAL? My answer is "What do you mean is it real? If you mean is it a Saleen Mustang the answer is Yes. IF you mean did it come from Saleen with a Saleen serial # No." Why? Because except the C pillars everything on it is made by Saleen, installed by me. Saleen has my money just as they have yours for your car. However I do NOT, and WILL not, put a engine bay plaque with fake #'s on it, or if the day comes I will not sell it as a #'rd Saleen.

See I would rather have a #'rd Saleen but I didnt and do not have the cash to buy one. This one I have put together over the last 4 years. Has it cost me just as much as a #'rd Saleen? Yep it has, but not all at once... such as it is... Flame away....