Don’t know where else to vent

• Sponsors (?)

As my usual luck would have it, I had a really :poo:ty call before I got to leave. I made it in time to see the mechanic, but my head was a mess. I pull in and noticed most of his employees are gathered in the office, and they notice my arrival. I get the impression they’ve been waiting for me, as they scatter about while trying to act natural when I get out of the vehicle.
We got it up onto a drive-on lift after I point out the floor sills and trunk alignment, he doesn’t say much but inspects the trunk for awhile. We get it on the lift and I’m pointing out what I’ve noticed and he’s adamant that he placed both pads on the pinch welds. I point out that if he did, it didn’t leave an impression on my virgin pinch welds like it did in the front, and that’s kind of weird. He’s pointing out the small notch cut into the pinch weld (from the factory), toward the rear wheel, and says that the pinch weld is stronger there because it’s intended to be the scissor jack point.
Wow.
I point out the uniform thickness of said sheet metal on the pinch weld. He has no reaction.
So that’s how it’s going to be.
I point out the impressions made in the sheet metal of the torque boxes, with perfect 90* notches at the corners. He says it came that way f the factory.
I’m done.
I ask him to get my car down please, he does, I leave. I didn’t get pictures while it was in the air, I was not thinking clearly. A lack of attention to detail on my behalf. I tried to get pictures in my garage, but the angle sucks and my motivation is not at peak, to say the least. I took pictures of the driver pinch weld. The driver torque box is worse than the passenger.
I’m not sure where I’ll go from here, I have devoted maximum mental capacity to that car for the day. I’m not even sure if insurance can help or not. Even if they can’t, I’ll get it back on the road again, one step at a time.
Thanks to all who listened and chipped in their $0.02. I appreciate it.
7E3F5542-1FA7-4330-995D-151657288F81.jpeg

CE245492-5DD8-49B1-A63D-627103DA8E16.jpeg

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in seeing the pad impression and where they are located, I think I know what happened but that depends on the location
Ill get better pics of the torque boxes soon.
I hope they go back and fix what was damaged and not try to get out of it.
See post above. I would love to hear your theory but if you would like to wait for better torque box pics, that’s cool.

Wow. Yeah, you don’t lift the car from there. The scissor jack that you use to lift one quarter up is a folded seam in which the strength is from the seam itself staying vertical and unfolded. The scissor jack is designed to keep it vertical. The minute that lip folded over, the structural integrity was lost and it bucked. A 4 post lift should NOT go there. The fact that sheet metal bent in doing so is a strong indicator that they were doing it wrong.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Yeah. I've never jacked mine up on the pinch welds. They will fold right back down for that part of it. Sometimes when putting on jacking rails you have to bend those back to 90 degrees before installing.

Yeah. I've never jacked mine up on the pinch welds. They will fold right back down for that part of it. Sometimes when putting on jacking rails you have to bend those back to 90 degrees before installing.
I never have either. I’ll do my best to bend it back pretty, but I just don’t have it in anytime soon. Honestly, my emotions were overwhelmed taking the simple pictures I did. I’m just a wreck right now and I miss my friend and I feel like I’ve dishonored him. :leghump:ing pity party bullsht. I gotta check out for awhile y’all. I’m sorry.

Pics look like they didn’t have the right extensions under the pad, and then the steel arm crushed the pinch weld when he lifted!

Stay safe man!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Never seen that from lifting or jacking a fox and I have jacked under the axles, torque boxes, pinch welds and some more.

Its aggravating but these things are pretty fixable.

They 100% did not use a pinch weld block when the lifted it, they used the flat square which I 100% know because when we lifted my son's car, we did the exact same thing to the pinch rail and now I have to fix it.

IN my situation this is the soultion. It may not be what you are looking for but it will solve 3 issues once installed.
Subframe
Pinchweld
Stablilty

When you can show the Torque Box....... I hope it is factory still and not the BMR which I just put on my 95

I never have either. I’ll do my best to bend it back pretty, but I just don’t have it in anytime soon. Honestly, my emotions were overwhelmed taking the simple pictures I did. I’m just a wreck right now and I miss my friend and I feel like I’ve dishonored him. :leghump:ing pity party bullsht. I gotta check out for awhile y’all. I’m sorry.

My .02 here from one who served also. I am sure that your battle buddy there would understand. You are looking into what happened, you have taken action with confronting the situation at the shop and reaching out here for help. You may take a step back and once you are ready, you are going to turn a wrench on it and get it back into working order. It will have scars, but we all do. It will see more injury, we all will. You will look back and smile that YOU took back control and pressed on as we soldiers all do.

That Avatar to the left is the White Falcon, Simple Google search will fill in the rest. The spirit that resides in this particular Mustang is one of moving forward. From what you have shared already about it shows the care you have always had for him and this joint symbol of camaraderie you shared. I would usually throw in a joke here about that Misguided Child flag but not in this case. I may joke with you about at some later time. Here, I see a Brother who needs to see another who has traversed that same mental minefield in losing a man who means more than words can say. I carry a few tags with me (physically and mentally) of fallen who I brought home other than I ever wanted to.

When you get right in your head again. Don't think of this situation as a failure because of what some asshat did. It is in fact an opportunity once again to get you hands on the Mustang and work in a meaningful manner. If possible, maybe you will bring another into the fold here (like the daughter you spoke of) and share some stories of the good times you had with Capt. Ron.

We are never "Former".
We are never "Forgotten".
We are Soldiers.
We Drive On

You Have Love out here my Brother In Arms.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
My .02 here from one who served also. I am sure that your battle buddy there would understand. You are looking into what happened, you have taken action with confronting the situation at the shop and reaching out here for help. You may take a step back and once you are ready, you are going to turn a wrench on it and get it back into working order. It will have scars, but we all do. It will see more injury, we all will. You will look back and smile that YOU took back control and pressed on as we soldiers all do.

That Avatar to the left is the White Falcon, Simple Google search will fill in the rest. The spirit that resides in this particular Mustang is one of moving forward. From what you have shared already about it shows the care you have always had for him and this joint symbol of camaraderie you shared. I would usually throw in a joke here about that Misguided Child flag but not in this case. I may joke with you about at some later time. Here, I see a Brother who needs to see another who has traversed that same mental minefield in losing a man who means more than words can say. I carry a few tags with me (physically and mentally) of fallen who I brought home other than I ever wanted to.

When you get right in your head again. Don't think of this situation as a failure because of what some asshat did. It is in fact an opportunity once again to get you hands on the Mustang and work in a meaningful manner. If possible, maybe you will bring another into the fold here (like the daughter you spoke of) and share some stories of the good times you had with Capt. Ron.

We are never "Former".
We are never "Forgotten".
We are Soldiers.
We Drive On

You Have Love out here my Brother In Arms.
and after all that, I will still want retribution. Also coming from a former soldier...

Don't do a thing to repair it until you talk to your insurance company, you have classic car insurance?
You may also file a claim with his insurance company, keep after it, you deserve to be made whole again

Reactions: 1 users
A thought not mentioned as to what caused the damage. Could they have dropped it or part of it (say back half) while they were beginning to lift?

Just a thought

Being someone who has put dozens and dozens of cars on a lift, I only use pinch welds if it’s absolutely worst care scenario, or we’re pulling a body off to do bushings or something. There has only been one car I can remember we lifted from the pinch welds to actually do a fair bit of work on.

Also, the torque boxes should not buckle or leave any major indentation if you place a lift pad underneath. Not that I would recommend placing one there when there’s a perfectly good frame rail right next to it (or a sfc), but I haven’t ever seen one bend or warp. Not saying it isn’t possible, just never seen it done myself. I would really like to see what the torque box looks like.

Regardless, I’d never put a lift pad even close to A pinch weld on a fox. Had mine and friend’s foxes on our 2 post countless times and never had an instance where the arm goes anywhere but sfcs or subframe.

I concur with all saying the lift pads were placed in the wrong locations. I’ve owned a two post lift for 8 years and have lifted dozens of cars and I’ve always avoided lifting a car from the pinch welds. I always try to lift a car from the most structurally sound locations which in most cases is near the front and rear subframes where there’s the most material.

In this case, I would never lift a fox from the pinch welds. In the past, I’ve bent my pinch weld using the factory jack just on one corner. On my car I always put the lift pads on each end of the subframes. I have know idea why they didn’t lift this car from the subframes.

IMO, this car wasn’t lift correctly and that’s the cause of your damage.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the lift placement, or improper use of the lift causing this damage. I’ve followed his threads and posts in “how your Foxbody sits”. The car is immaculate. There’s no way he didn’t notice this, for those who think it was possibly there before.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I am actually planning to weld in "Obvious" locations that will be for Lift Placement on both Mustangs as my projects move forward, anyone with a welder should consider the same thing. There will be times when someone other than ourselves will be lifting the car, so its a little more insurance in the end.

I will use High Temperature PINK paint for mine.... Yes I have a reason