Drag/street tire

Motorhead6T5

Oct 21, 2004
Marysville,CA
I have to drive about an hour to get to the nearest drag strip. What would be a good tire to make the travel then still hook good at the track? I was thinking about the M/T indy profile s/s tires,or the sportsman pro's,I need a tire that won't wear down alot but gets sticky when hot, and is cheap.Any suggestions? Putting them on stock 10 holes.

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I would use a set of 26x10.5 M/T Et streets.. if your looking for a radial and want the stickiest then a M/T Street Radial or BFG Drag Radial would be it.. Nitto 555R will last longer but are not as sticky. Best all around drag radial for the street IMO is the Nitto. It will last the longest and it offers some of everything but will need a good amount of heat to really get sticky.

ponyboy; you say the nitto R radials last along time? how long is that under daily driving?

im putting a stroker in mine and am a little worried about traction on the street. i just have the normal nitto tires now.

If you are getting a stroker, your street tires will be useless. At first it's cool but then it gets annoying. Get nittos or MT drag radials.

Nittos = more street friendly and V rated
MTs= more sticky, better non burnout traction

I've used the Nitto's and they are your best bet if you need to drive on 'em. I use BFG drag radials because they hook harder but they wear out really fast. I doubt that you could get 3500 miles on BFG's with 1 trip to the track. How about slicks on a set of 10 holes? You could just toss them in the car and carry a jack.

Im running on the 555's now but they are about dead. Been researching the tires, in the same situation you are, and the G-force-T/A KDW was at the top of my list. Technically the 555's dont have a tread wear rating compared to the gforce which is 300. The 555's are stickier but dont last nearly as long. If you can afford it get some dedicated track tires. Here is a link to reviews and such. The second link is a comparison of the top rated radials.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...h=false&partnum=45YR6GFTAKDW&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

What do you guys do that swap at the track? Do you chain your street tires up or somthing? I'm starting to lean towards doing that,but I don't want my stuff to walk away. The cheapest route seems to be a sportsman pro,do those need tubes?

Well I just ordered some BFG DR's in 235/60/15's,thanks for all the help guys. It was a hard decision,but I finally made up my mind.They were pretty cheap too, $125 a piece with 18 bucks shipping.I'm gonna find some rims to mount them on to be my "track" set. :flag:

I have the same tires you just ordered, you will love them! I drive them around town, normal driving keeps them warm enough for launches without burnouts any time you feel the urge. I'll warn you, once you try them you won't want to take them off! :nice: