Dyno Time - Care to guestimate ?

Green Machine

Founding Member
Sep 22, 2001
Lakeland Florida
It's finally geting cool here in central fla. So I 've scheduled some dyno time this week to see what's getting to the rear wheels.

My baseline was 281 rwhp / 308 torque ( stock cam and no chip ) with all the mods in the signature except what's been added below.

Here's what I've added since the last dyno run last year:

Removed MAC O/R H-pipe and reinstall Bassani O/R X-pipe
Bumped timing up from 10* to 12*
Replaced 65mm FMS tb with 70mm Eldelbrock tb
Removed Smog pump with a UPR smog pump delete kit.
Replaced bad FMS plug wires with new 9mm FMS wires
New FMS Dist cap and rotor
Installed new NGK spark plugs
Added Plasma Booster* - car starts easier, and is smoother thru the rpms - "sotp" feel, car does pull alot harder from 3K up to readline. I'll plan to disconnect and see what happens with out it.

Care to take a guestimate of rwhp.? I'm hoping to get 285 -287 range.

Thanks, Dewman :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

What heads do you have? You didn't list them.

If you have stock heads/cam/shortblock, i'd find a more realistic dyno as 281hp ain't happening. Im sure you have heads though and just forgot to list them.

A Ricer ? Not. :)

The Car Domain is old stuff. Sorry about that. The 285 was with FMS shorty headers, and a Diablo sport chip. If you take the 344 (flywheel) and deduct ~18% (lost thru the tranny etc) and that gives the approx 281.2 rwhp.

The baseline I mentioned earlier was with MAC long tubes, and a MAC Prochamber O/R h-pipe. the sport chip was giving me 276 rwhp so I took it off and the rwhp went to the 281 rwhp figure.

I've tried to bump the timing but 12* is the best it will do. On the timing from from what I've read with 5.0 motors with timing set 12* you can expect an average of 5 to 7 rwhp. Now, add the o/r x-pipe and that averages 3 rwhp more than the o/r h-pipe from 2400 rpm's up thru 5000 rpms. The TB is like 0 hp along with the Plasma booster.

The the real deal is the sum of the parts. 281/308 with a stock cam and no chip is ok, not great, but not average either. So, you may be right you may be wrong. I'll post the results and see where the numbers end up.

Thanks, Dewman :D

The tb will give you a few, the X pipe will give you nothing but a diff sound. Timing will give you more but I gues your sn95 is being gay and not letting you give it more advance. Will you be using a wideband to help dial it in?

Yup, 3 runs with wideband for $75. It should be interesting. Should have temps in the mid 50's to low 60's with 50-60% humidity. Hopefully the a/f will be on the mark.

I'm saving up for a Ed Curtis cam and will get a good tune with a chip when that's installed.

bimmertech said:
what is your fuel pressure, and what are using for a tune with the 24's? if i where you i would set base timing to 15deg.

Sounds like good stuff to me.

What about doing something to get your octane count up so you can jack up the spark a good bit :D

Maybe that would get you a few more rwhp :shrug:

Grady

Green Machine said:
fuel pressure is set at 32lbs with the 24 pounders.

What I would really like is having a knowledgeable tweecer user near by and have the motor tuned with it. :nice:
try bumpin the fuel pressure to 40, but most importantly BUMP THE TIMING.

afr heads love timing, i can run my car on 87 with 15 base. on the dyno with 91oct no more power was achieved after 15.5deg.

Green Machine said:
What I would really like is having a knowledgeable tweecer user near by and have the motor tuned with it. :nice:

Never has there been more info about self tuning available than there is today. :D

Not that long ago, there was only a small gorup of peeps who tried to help each other learn. :bang:

These days, you can go to the tuner sites and down load complete tunes. :nice:

Heck fire, if the truth be made known, right here on this very forum ............

there is NOW more info pertaining to tuning our pcm's than there used to be on ALL the specific tuner sites :banana:

Get yourself some equipment and just ...... get after it! :)

Grady

New Update

Had the car dyno'd this a.m. Ended up with 270.99 / 305.01 at the rear wheels. Fuel pressure was at 33lbs. A/F was @ ~13.84.

The best run last week was 272.99/304.28 with the A/R @ 15.2 with fuel pressure @ 31 lbs

Prior to todays 1st run I had the fuel pressure @ 36lbs which made 255.09/289.39. A/F was ~12.4. made several runs till I got A/F to around 14.

Results is got the car from 15.2 to 13.8 by playing with the fuel pressure. I'm trying to get the dyno shop to get me a copy of the file so I can post it with more details than what I have on the current hard copy.

Looking at the dyno graph print out the A/F is @14 from 2700 rpms to 5000 rpms. It looks like it hits 13.8 around 5300 rpms. I believe that where the A/F 13.8 comes into play. :(

Consulsion: I'll live with this as is and wait till I can save up for an Ed Curtis cam this Spring, then get it installed by Lamotta's and have a SuperChip custom tune done there.

As they say, Tuning is everything.