Educated tire help! 17x9 rears... I searched too...

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. Here's what I'm looking at. I have a set of 17x9 ROH Snypers I'm going to have refurbed so I can run them on the stang. Right now, I have stock 17x8 5 star ponies on there with 245.45.17 Kumhos that are pretty good in shape. The 17x9 ROHs had 245/45s on them when I ran them on my last car. Anyway, what I want to know, is what is the optimal rear tire size for traction and handling? I want the widest rear tire that won't sacrifice handling by being all bulged out. I'd like to swap two of my Kumhos over from the stock rims onto the fronts, and keep the second pair set for spares or when the first set wears out, and get new matching but wider tires for the back. A narrower front tire isn't a bad thing anyway, and my car is lowered. Anyway, if anyone can give me the best, widest, strongest handling tire size, I'd appreciate it!
Rob

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt want to make a new post to clutter the board so....

I'm looking to get 10.5 DD Bullitts in the read. Would there be any fitment issues. Ive been told to do something with the quad shocks but i dont remember exactly what he said. and 315s are possible on them right?

you have to flip the quadshocks, and you might find more info with your own post. Not trying to pick on you, but it's not always cool to hijack a thread. Also, try the searches, that topic has been heavily discussed.

Cobrared- the 35mm profiles you mentioned, is that my rim? I don't really understand what that means. Wheel/tire sizing is probably my weakest area. Mine are going to more than likely be Kumho Ecstas, to match the tires I already have that I'll swap to the front. I've always been big on matching tires. I hate seeing goodyears up front and like BF goodrich on the back. Looks hack to me.

I'd go with a 275/40/17, The tire is going to fit on the rim very nicely and not be too wide to where it would be soft in the sidewalls and flex alot, yet not be too narrow and look like your trying to stretch the tire on to make it fit. Best thing you can do is look at the tire you want to get from the manufacture and see what they recommend for approved rim widths.

245/45/17 on 17x8 = 25.7" Overall diameter

275/40/17 on 17x9 = 25.7"

1st number is width of tire in millimeters
2nd number is % of with into sidewall
3rd is rim size

Take 1st number times 2nd in % x two, divide that answer by 25.4 (converts mm to inches) then add in rim for overall diameter.

245 x 0.45 x 2 = 220.5 / 25.4 = 8.68" + 17 = 25.7" OD

I'd go with a 275/40/17, The tire is going to fit on the rim very nicely and not be too wide to where it would be soft in the sidewalls and flex alot, yet not be too narrow and look like your trying to stretch the tire on to make it fit. Best thing you can do is look at the tire you want to get from the manufacture and see what they recommend for approved rim widths.

245/45/17 on 17x8 = 25.7" Overall diameter

275/40/17 on 17x9 = 25.7"

1st number is width of tire in millimeters
2nd number is % of with into sidewall
3rd is rim size

Take 1st number times 2nd in % x two, divide that answer by 25.4 (converts mm to inches) then add in rim for overall diameter.

245 x 0.45 x 2 = 220.5 / 25.4 = 8.68" + 17 = 25.7" OD

there you go. There is your perfect answer. 275 in the rear will fit perfectly.

In pertaining to the guy with wanting to know about 315's. They will fit fine. I believe the 96-98 model sn95's had to reverse the quad shocks,but the newer edge models are fine. From what ive seen.

New edge cars have a wider track than the SN95s. I have aftermarket quads on my car, but they're still not a problem. I think I'll go with the 75s out back. How will the sidewall height compare to a 245/45/17? I don't want a lower tire ride height in the back