Equal Length headers

• Sponsors (?)

Equal Length headers will give you more power of unequal but the gain probly isn't work it.... 5.0 Mag just did a test on different styles like unequal,equal,long tubes, and the Equal Length headers did the best..

But of course the Hooker Super Comps Shorties blew them all out of the water

Actually, you have to look closely at the data on the test in the current issue of MM&FF. They tested equal and unequal shorties, and 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 long tubes all by the same maker. For peak power, there was very little difference between any of them - I think a 4HP spread - and the shorties actually made one or 2 more HP than the long tubes did. However, look down the charts at 3000 rpm where they started recording data. The long tubes made 20+HP and almost 40 LB-FT!!!! more than the shorties - a HUGE difference. I suspect that difference may be even greater below 3000 rpm, but they didn't show the data. The amazing thing is, the article didn't even highlight those differences. According to their tests, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference between long tubes and shorties on an engine like theirs with the rest of their exhaust system configuration AT PEAK. But for street driven cars that spend the vast majority of their time below 3 grand there is a huge difference. If you don't mind the inconvenience of the install and the greater cost (especially ceramic coated) the long tubes are the way to go.

I bought a set of equal lenth MAC shortys a while back and they rubbed the strut tower on the passenger side. I had new convertible (stiffer) motor mounts so I know the motor was not sagging. I ended up putting my regular MAC shortys back on and will eventually go with BBK longtubes.

While your motor mounts may not have been sagging, I believe the convertible mounts cause the engine to sit lower than it normally would. People use them intentionally for this effect when they're trying to get more hood clearance for superchargers, spacers, etc.

I wish it did set lower. My vortech discharge tube rubs the side of my hood even with a 4inch cowl hood. The cartech intake sets pretty high and I have a 1inch spacer under it so it will clear my fuel pressure regulator. I guess this intake was designed expecting the person to have aftermarket fuel rails with the regulator mounted elsewhere.

MAC equal length headers are a PITA to install, but having someone there to help you will make a world of difference. The problem is in the design of the headers, in which they have 4 separate mounting flanges (one for each tube). The best way to do it is to get the bolts started on the most rearward tube first, then get the other ones started, saving the #1 or #5 (depending on which side your working on) for last, because the tubes are long and straight, they are the most flexible. Having someone there to push or pull on the tube while you start the bolts will make it much easier. Worked for me! I do have a thing for the way an equal length header looks, I think they just look plain cool. MUSTANGDAREN isn't kidding when he says his passenger side header rubbed on the strut tower, it is a tight fit. Mine doesn't rub though. Also, keep an eye on your smog pump hoses also because they will get pretty toasty down there if they are too close to the headers. Hope this helps!

The bassani equal length shorties I currently have were pretty easy to install. I did have to loosen the mounts and raise the motor a little but its not hard. I also can work around them freely.

Michael Yount said:
While your motor mounts may not have been sagging, I believe the convertible mounts cause the engine to sit lower than it normally would. People use them intentionally for this effect when they're trying to get more hood clearance for superchargers, spacers, etc.

Micheal...I heard this before but I wasn't sure if this was true...so a convertible motor actually sits lower than a regular motor? If so its a good thing I went with shortie equal length as oppose to the LT's or else I would possible have clearance problems with the LT's on a convertible motor...

Hello highbredcloud - it's only what I've read in a number of posts from others. It typically comes in the context of, say, trying to fit a 351 in under minimum or no hood alterations - and they'll say use the aftermarket cross member, the convertible mounts, and no manifold spacers. If I were you I'd start a separate thread - and ask the question of the group tonight - "Do convertible mounts lower the engine? If so, how much?" I'll learn/confirm something too. Cause if they do, when time comes to swap mine out, I need to stay away from them. I can't afford to go any lower without oil pan interference with the cross member.

Michael Yount said:
Actually, you have to look closely at the data on the test in the current issue of MM&FF. They tested equal and unequal shorties, and 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 long tubes all by the same maker. For peak power, there was very little difference between any of them - I think a 4HP spread - and the shorties actually made one or 2 more HP than the long tubes did. However, look down the charts at 3000 rpm where they started recording data. The long tubes made 20+HP and almost 40 LB-FT!!!! more than the shorties - a HUGE difference. I suspect that difference may be even greater below 3000 rpm, but they didn't show the data. The amazing thing is, the article didn't even highlight those differences. According to their tests, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference between long tubes and shorties on an engine like theirs with the rest of their exhaust system configuration AT PEAK. But for street driven cars that spend the vast majority of their time below 3 grand there is a huge difference. If you don't mind the inconvenience of the install and the greater cost (especially ceramic coated) the long tubes are the way to go.

I saw that too. That makes me want to go out and buy some LT's now. Are there any that will fit the GT-40p's i am putting on? I am going to be so broke by the end of the summer.