Evaporator/Heater Core Replacement?

erniet17

Oct 4, 2005
Hey everyone. I need to replace my evaporator and I figured I would change the heater core as well. What is the best way to do this? I have been told that I have to drop the dash and steering column. Any tips/advice?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

to do the evaporator you have to drain the refrigerant out of the system. so you are going to either goto a shop and ask them to do it or do it the ghetto way and hurt the atmosphere and just push down on the shrader valve with a screwdriver. You then need to take out the glove box, and unbolt the center console. Then unbolt the entire dash so it can move freely (but not over the wheel). Then go in the engine compartment and disconnect all the lines going to then heater core and to the evaporator. (you will need fuel line/ac coupler disconnects to do that, you can get them at any local parts store.) Then you have to unbolt everthing going to the firewall. on the opposite side of the firewall than the heater core and evap. you should then be able to maneuver the black box that holds the heater core out of dash. I will try to find pix for u

I heard to get the evaporator out you need to cut the plastic hvac box open?? how true is this?I have another complete hvac assembly in my shed and I couldnt find how it comes out. I hope it can come out easy I plan on changing mine out before this summer, Im Not going through another summer without it....it aint fun working on 200 degree engines with long pants and not having working a/c. :notnice:

changing a heater core is no joke in these cars even for an everyday mechanic, but come on. That was the most ghetto heater core change article in that link that I have ever seen.

http://home.netcom.com/~skent/mustang/1990/heater_core/hcore.html

I am not the author of the heater core replacement web pages, nor do l personally know him, but I think they are pretty good.

However, if you think that it is less than good, I will be glad to assist you in creating some better web pages to help out your fellow stangnetters. This is your opportunity to show us all how good you really are...

i think u have a deal, I am in the middle of replacing mine right now and took it apart piece by piece. So I will start to take pictures and document how it goes back together I guess? I didnt take pictures of the take apart but its pretty explanitory.

I used to be a tech at a large ford linc merc dealer in PA, until about a year and a half ago when i flipped my car and broke my back. I am now paralized from the waist down and stuck in a wheelchair. I still take all the mechanic knowledge I have and use it on my own cars wheelin around in my driveway pullin engines and rebuilding them in my garage with help from kids around the hood. So this should be a good little project and we'll have to wait and see how it turns out!

The evap. is sealed in the box, which needs to be cut open. Replace the heater core too.Removing the dash is your best bet to work free and clear, but warning it is a pain in the ass the first time you do it! While your dash is off you can do a little maintenance work making sure all wires (grounds) are tight, clean the duct work, etc.

The evap. is sealed in the box, which needs to be cut open. Replace the heater core too.Removing the dash is your best bet to work free and clear, but warning it is a pain in the ass the first time you do it! While your dash is off you can do a little maintenance work making sure all wires (grounds) are tight, clean the duct work, etc.

it is a sealed box but its held together with screws that go all the way around. You DO NOT have to cut the box.

I have done 2 of these, one in my 82 Capri and one in my 93 Stang.

i took ouut the center console, dropped the collumn, took out all the clusted stuff. then unbolted the dash. should be 7 bolts that hold it in place. then i disconnected the vaccuum connections at the center of the dash, and then undid the 3 heater core bolts, 2 up top one self tapping on the borrom. loosen the 4 nuts on the 2 studs that hold the condensor. i just loosened the bolx, pry'd it up, cut it open, swapped heater cores, then sealed it back up. to do the condensor you would want to remove the hole box. which means breaking the AC lines. i did it on a sunday, sealed it up sunday ngiht with blue RTV. then put it back together monday night, and i wasnt in a hurry at all.