Explorer intake swap

Hey guys,
I've been reading alot about swapping an Explorer 5.0 intake and heads to my 5.0. What i'm wondering is is there a certain year that the intake is just better for some reason. I know i want the GT40P heads, should i buy the intake off of that same 5.0? I believe i read that the 96-early 97 Explorer lower intakes only needed one hole drilled and tapped as compared to the late 97s and up. Are the things that the holes drilled and tapped for really needed, or can they be plugged off somehow?

Will my stock 5.0 cam be good enough, or is there another out there that will work with this combo and get me more horsepower. Also, what size MAF,TB, and injectors are best? I've read that the 19# injectors should be good enoug, but should i go to 24# to be safe?

Is there any computer chips or anything i need to have burned, or will the computer figure things out itself? What type of horsepower and track times will i be looking at with this setup and my current mods? I want to go ahead and start collecting everything i need so that the wallet won't get hit so hard all at once. Thanks for listening to my book of questions.

Thanks,
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

from what i have read about the explorer intake swap is if you are going to all the trouble of swapping intakes buy a aftermarket one. :nonono: the explorer intake only flows marginally better then your stock one. last question i say about this in muscle mustang and fast ford the dudes there said forget it buy a holley systemax or edelbrock intake :rolleyes:

The Explorer is a pretty much a cast version of the GT40 intake. The lower is that same part as the Cobra and GT40 lowers. There may be some minor differences, but if you can get it cheap, it is well worth while. I got mine for $250 with a 65 MM TB and the 19# injectors in the package.

A 96 Explorer engine would be the easiest swap as all the suff will just bolt on and work the same way as your stock stuff. The 96 Explorer 65mm TB can be used by removing the throttle bell crank from your stock 60mm TB and tack welding it to the Explorer bell crank in the correct clock position. The Explorer 19# injectors will be more than up to the task and have the same connector as your stang. NO chip is necessary and you should make 250-260RWHP/290-300RWTQ with a properly tuned engine.

Thanks for the extra info guys. I've been finding alot of websites about this, but some recommend different things than others. I thought that the P heads were better because of the compression, it's very possible that i'm wrong. :shrug: I'm going to see about getting a whole engine, but if that fails i'll just buy the intake and heads seperate. I'll have to check the local salvage yard.

Thanks again,
Jason

If you are interested, I am selling a 97 Explorer upper/lower intake with the EGR. The only reason I am selling it is because I want a better looking/flowing intake for my new combo. The intake is in great shape with no cracks or damage whatsoever, and is unported. I have all the bolts. I'm asking $225 shipped. P/M me if your interested.

If you have to pass emissions testing in - where ever RR, NC is - you'll want the early Explorer intake as tmoss suggested.

86blueCobra - your info is incorrect regarding the Explorer intake not flowing much better than the stock HO manifold. The Explorer, Cobra and GT40 intakes all flow virtually the same - and noticeably better/more than the stock HO manifold.