Father in Law Accident

• Sponsors (?)

I got around to looking at the NSS on my convertible and it's actually working fine. Wont crank unless its in park or neutral. The thing that is removed from this car is the button on the underside of the column that prevents you from removing the key until you push it. Fill me in here please. What was the purpose of this button?

Does your father in laws area require safety inspection? In Ontario Canada, before a car is licensed to drive it must pass a safety inspection. Which would include start interlock and 100 other things so many DIY'ers find annoying.

Looks unplated in the pictures.

Reactions: 1 user
No, they live 30 minutes from me. We used to have some emissions testing but this state is lax in a lot of things. The only inspections that a vehicle will need is when it is titled. Out of state vehicle will get a better "Once Over" by the Sheriff Dept and that will be mostly electrical because they are no mechanic.

Does your father in laws area require safety inspection? In Ontario Canada, before a car is licensed to drive it must pass a safety inspection. Which would include start interlock and 100 other things so many DIY'ers find annoying.

Not sure what state the OP lives in, but I live in Missouri, which has safety inspections, and I am pretty sure they don't check for things like neutral safety switches, reverse lockout, etc. It is mainly lights, signals, horns, brakes, chassis condition (damage, rust,wear), and depending on the inspector and location, emissions equipment. And judging by some of the junk I see on the road here, some inspection stations aren't very strict.

Not sure what state the OP lives in, but I live in Missouri, which has safety inspections, and I am pretty sure they don't check for things like neutral safety switches, reverse lockout, etc. It is mainly lights, signals, horns, brakes, chassis condition (damage, rust,wear), and depending on the inspector and location, emissions equipment. And judging by some of the junk I see on the road here, some inspection stations aren't very strict.

Number of actual mechanics working at inspection lanes... Ehhhh...

The problem is that the State of Missouri sets the inspection fee at a whole $12 for a two year inspection, which have hardly changed since I started driving 30 years ago. So if your shop rate is $100 per hour, that is about 7 minutes of shop time, so the inspections aren't that thorough.

No, they live 30 minutes from me. We used to have some emissions testing but this state is lax in a lot of things. The only inspections that a vehicle will need is when it is titled. Out of state vehicle will get a better "Once Over" by the Sheriff Dept and that will be mostly electrical because they are no mechanic.
Soooo, your father in law lives with Ragged Gt?,

No,no inspections in Kentucky. The un smashed pics where the day he brought it home, so you’re right-no plates at the time/ now it has “Classic” plates
Soooo, your father in law lives with Ragged Gt?,
As far as I know- he doesn’t lol

Well Why do you have to throw in geography here............
Its the Internet...... I Live EVERYWHERE LOL.

Na, I Ass-U(General kartheif)-Me(Kiddiccarus)-d that the In-Laws were close and help in the situation could be close from family......

In Ontario Canada, before a car is licensed to drive it must pass a safety inspection.
To add a bit to Rt jam's post. Here in Ontario the safety inspections (needed to change title to new owner) have gotten much more stringent in the last couple years. My brother is a licensed mechanic here and fills me in on all the new rules. They have to measure and record all kinds of dimensions for brake pad and rotor wear. Almost any holes in the body or structural issues will result in failure. Play in motor/trans mounts is checked. Obviously suspension needs to be tight. This is only part of what is checked. Its a whole prescriptive list they need to sign off against (their license is at risk for falsifying as well). The last 2 DD's I had safetied cost about $120-150 each (with no repairs required). This is a one time inspection so it is a little easier to deal with but definitely more stringent. The issue described by the OP would have failed the car if caught.