Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

Been a while since I’ve had any time to work on the Fox or even peruse the forums much. Lots of traveling and time focused on taking care of the baby.

My latest saga with the Fox is battery related…again. There have been a few times when I didn’t drive it (usually for about a week) and when I would go to start it, it wouldn’t turn over. A few weeks back, before heading out on a road trip, I disconnected the battery. When I came back, a couple of weeks later, I reconnected the battery and it started right up with no issues. More recently, we took another trip and I did the same thing. Came home after about 12 days, reconnected the battery and it started right up. Two days later, I went to start the car and it wouldn’t turn over.

The belts, brake, and amp lights will come on, as well as the warning lights to the right of the steering wheel (check oil, gas, low coolant, washer fluid) and the stereo, but the car just won’t start.

I bought this battery brand new a little over two years ago. I’ve got it on the trickle charger again at the moment, waiting for it to fully charge. Is it possible the battery is already bad? Or is there something that could be draining it every time it’s hooked up?

• Sponsors (?)

It would sort of crank for like a second on the first try, but then it wouldn’t even do that. Other attempts after that it would not crank at all.

Battery finally got to a full charge tonight. I put it back in the Fox and it started right up. Went for a 20 min drive. Going to leave the battery connected tonight and try to start it again in the morning. In the meanwhile, going to do some internet sleuthing to see about what else I could check on to see what’s causing this.

Make sure your vanity mirror lights are not staying on.
Yeah. That was suggested to me a while back when I was originally having issues with the battery being drained. I disconnected both of them and it seemed to fix the issue but the last few months I’ve been having problems again.

Reactions: 1 user
You can test for parasitic draw with a multimeter and pulling fuses.
Thanks. I was reading a few past threads about that process last night before bed. Will try to see if I can understand how to do all that and try to find some time soon.

I let the car sit with the battery connected over night (think it sat for about 12-13 hours). I went out to the garage as soon as I woke up and it fired right up just as quickly as yesterday after the fully charged battery was put back in.

Drive it to parts store,have them load test the batt.,if it checks out then you got a parasitic draw when it sits.

Reactions: 2 users
Been a while since I’ve had any time to work on the Fox or even peruse the forums much. Lots of traveling and time focused on taking care of the baby.

My latest saga with the Fox is battery related…again. There have been a few times when I didn’t drive it (usually for about a week) and when I would go to start it, it wouldn’t turn over. A few weeks back, before heading out on a road trip, I disconnected the battery. When I came back, a couple of weeks later, I reconnected the battery and it started right up with no issues. More recently, we took another trip and I did the same thing. Came home after about 12 days, reconnected the battery and it started right up. Two days later, I went to start the car and it wouldn’t turn over.

The belts, brake, and amp lights will come on, as well as the warning lights to the right of the steering wheel (check oil, gas, low coolant, washer fluid) and the stereo, but the car just won’t start.

I bought this battery brand new a little over two years ago. I’ve got it on the trickle charger again at the moment, waiting for it to fully charge. Is it possible the battery is already bad? Or is there something that could be draining it every time it’s hooked up?
I always keep my ‘86 on a Battery Tender, as it doesn’t get driven a lot.

Bill

Attachments

• 70A6476A-F964-4872-A82E-9E336847C407.jpeg
    70A6476A-F964-4872-A82E-9E336847C407.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 40
  • AD2A4021-A328-4163-8132-6C0E873C73C5.jpeg
    AD2A4021-A328-4163-8132-6C0E873C73C5.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 45
  • AB68003E-3FAB-461E-81F5-01AB144016B5.jpeg
    AB68003E-3FAB-461E-81F5-01AB144016B5.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 45
This is where my stage 3angle kit and coil overs came from. I’m ordering there bump steer kit it this helps. https://duncanperformance.com/index.php?route=common/home
Ik you posted awhile ago so hopefully it helps.
Sounds like it will be a pretty nice setup. Thanks for the link. I’m interested in hearing how you like those parts. I actually ordered the SVE bump steer kit recently (should have arrived today but I’m out of town again), and the caster camber plates, LCAs, and LCA hardware arrived a few days ago.

My in-laws are visiting next week so I should get at least a full day in the garage to install lowering springs, front LCAs, CC plates, and bump steer kit.

Reactions: 1 users
Been a while since I updated this or had any time for progress in the garage - still haven’t had time to do the suspension stuff, though I did change the oil a few days ago. Who could have known that keeping a baby alive would require so much time and effort? :O_o:

Last night my mom actually noticed a dim light coming from the Fox’s taillight so we may have found the latest culprit for the battery drain issue.
9C5D69F9-E0BE-4046-B8E3-74832AD9175D.jpeg

From some quick reading it seems it could be a brake switch. I’m going to check that today and see if I can figure it out.

Babies take a bunch of time and energy to keep breathing. My kids have been the best blessing I could ever have. The youngest one is 15...until next week. Oldest is 22. A 16 and 18 year old in the middle. No more snot goblins for me. Lol

That looks like a reflection. The bulb would be in the middle. Cover the whole lense with your hands and see if the light goes away.

Babies take a bunch of time and energy to keep breathing. My kids have been the best blessing I could ever have. The youngest one is 15...until next week. Oldest is 22. A 16 and 18 year old in the middle. No more snot goblins for me. Lol

That looks like a reflection. The bulb would be in the middle. Cover the whole lense with your hands and see if the light goes away.
All jokes aside, being a father has been an amazing experience. We couldn’t be happier. :)

I swear last night it looked like one part of the light was on. I looked up close and from different angles and was positive it wasn’t a reflection. Checked today when it was dark out and didn’t see it again. :O_o:

All jokes aside, being a father has been an amazing experience. We couldn’t be happier. :)

I swear last night it looked like one part of the light was on. I looked up close and from different angles and was positive it wasn’t a reflection. Checked today when it was dark out and didn’t see it again. :O_o:
It's a daylight.

• Haha
Parts stores have those washers in the help section, usually a hard rubber or plastic, they get replaced once in a while, needs to be tight to the threads for best results.
as for the filter, check out Mortortrends Engine Masters, they did a oil filter comparison, IIRC the STP came in somewhere in the middle, they did dyno testing on flow and restrictions and such, they cut them open too, now that was the interesting part for me, Fram of course, was at or near the bottom but if you change your oil often I don't see the harm in running whatever is on sale, I prefer Wix myself.
JMO