For $90k I’m getting this. Not a Shelby GT

(Me in the drivers seat)
41E55B4A-3E10-49B2-8F53-FC681B208F5F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

For $90k I’m getting this. Not a Shelby GT

(Me in the drivers seat)
41E55B4A-3E10-49B2-8F53-FC681B208F5F.jpeg
Oh yeah I mean, no question…but thats assuming you could get one for close to MSRP these days. -.-

Seems that Shelby GT can be had with a supercharger too, good for 700+ horsepower.
0292203C-7DB4-4094-A231-4E5AEDB85A7D.jpeg

I guess this would be one option if one was determined to have a manual.

Here’s the listing for the dealership:

Ok, I have what’s probably a dumb question but whatever. My brain isn’t functioning properly at the moment.

Does this look like a normal ball and socket exhaust flange setup?

BA4AED3A-DC4C-443B-A7D7-5C1058C49C55.jpeg 0AD5F048-A5E7-457B-B3CF-74D420A4B0F5.jpeg
B30E966F-F1A9-438F-B283-ECFE9AF214DC.jpeg

I’m asking because I’m trying to get the exhaust hardware tightened up and I couldn’t do it with the bolt that I had in there (one that I found to add to there when the one that was on the car stripped or broke, I can’t remember exactly). At first I thought it just needed some washers/spacers but I still couldn’t get it to tighten all the way. The nut just keeps spinning - almost like it’s stripped but it seems fine up until the end, if that makes sense.

I ordered this replacement hardware kit thinking I would eventually just update all four bolts on the ball & socket but the bolts seem a little bit short and thin for the flange openings.
0F8DB2CC-CF81-4649-AB36-54DCE88350CC.jpeg

When I tried one of the new bolts, I basically deformed the included washer (you can see it in the pic below) trying to tighten it down enough. It was being sucked/crushed into the oval shaped opening on the ball and socket flange.
58966E95-5802-4D1B-8ADE-CF2F775DB02E.jpeg
The bolts on the left are the new ones and the bigger one on the right is what I had on there, which isn’t working now.

Those new bolts are too narrow. You can pick up some bolts, nuts, and washers from tractor supply down rt3. I use high temperature red or copper permatex sealant at all exhaust joints now. Guarantees a leak free seal. You'd have to take both sides loose and apply to inside of female flanges. Bolt up and clean the sealant off with a rag while it's still wet.

I'll have a lift at the new house soon.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with sicko there and will add grab some thicker washers or stack a couple/ three to help with the deflection, I have to say the mid pipe looks larger than the tubes before the mufflers and that ball does look large. It should still work

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Stopped by Tractor Supply and picked these up. Thanks for the suggestion. Will try to pick up some permatex tomorrow and try to make time to get the exhaust leak sorted out while the weather is reasonable.
5AD9CB92-D2F1-4E0F-A937-109EF9C5AF1A.jpeg

Karthief, maybe I will measure the exhaust on both sides to see if there’s a difference. I am trying to resist the financially irresponsible urge to get new headers and just redo the entire exhaust. Must focus on one thing at a time..
D20AB9B8-798F-4D57-84C1-350BE117D7CE.jpeg

Anyways, I finished editing and uploading my PCV valve replacement video this morning:

View: https://youtu.be/94Fez-0KZms

Well, Dad, congrates!!! :nice:
Best excuse I know not to do car things.
Now about that battery, wait a couple weeks then check voltage with a volt meter, if it's below 12v then just buy a new battery, trying to start it with a weak battery will cook wires and starter.

• Hell Yeah!
I haven’t had much time to work on the Fox lately but I can’t complain too much since I have a good excuse:
D8A1D706-6415-4B37-8C1E-B7AA7CDDE7DB.jpeg

Yesterday I found a little bit of time to replace something small - the PCV valve hose:
99F6011C-31D1-430B-BD6C-DB40C57440A8.jpeg

It’s hard to see in the photo but the old one had some small cracks in the bends. You can kind of see them in my latest Vlog, which I uploaded yesterday:

View: https://youtu.be/wBz1R2_7SIo

My plan for when I get some time in the garage next is to try and properly flush the power steering pump/hoses and if that doesn’t help, consider replacing the pump again. I don’t drive the car a ton but I feel like if I could fix the power steering pump whine, I might drive it a lot more. :oops:

Reactions: 3 users
I know it's sacrilege but have you considered swapping to a GM style power steering pump? I know that's a thing and I think it's supposed to fix that whine. Anybody on here done that?

• Surprised
I know it's sacrilege but have you considered swapping to a GM style power steering pump? I know that's a thing and I think it's supposed to fix that whine. Anybody on here done that?
Forgot to reply to this. I heard/read of a few people who did this and there’s also a guy who did a Volvo electric power steering pump on his LS-swapped Fox drift car. I’m open to trying different options if a flush and or eventual replacement pump don’t do the trick.

In other news, I was seeking a fix for my cruise control a few days ago and documented the somewhat brief (thankfully) process as part of my most recent Vlog:

View: https://youtu.be/swbC5YiET5w

I haven’t had much time to work on the Fox lately but I can’t complain too much since I have a good excuse:
D8A1D706-6415-4B37-8C1E-B7AA7CDDE7DB.jpeg

Yesterday I found a little bit of time to replace something small - the PCV valve hose:
99F6011C-31D1-430B-BD6C-DB40C57440A8.jpeg

It’s hard to see in the photo but the old one had some small cracks in the bends. You can kind of see them in my latest Vlog, which I uploaded yesterday:

View: https://youtu.be/wBz1R2_7SIo

My plan for when I get some time in the garage next is to try and properly flush the power steering pump/hoses and if that doesn’t help, consider replacing the pump again. I don’t drive the car a ton but I feel like if I could fix the power steering pump whine, I might drive it a lot more. :oops:

I couldn't find a new pump for my '86 and ordered a Delco rebuilt pump from RockAuto after I ran my good/original pump without any fluid in it. I replaced all the lines, so the only thing original is the rack. Mine whined and moaned for quite a while, but it gradually got better. It's not totally gone, but much better.

Bill

I uploaded a new Vlog in case anyone wants to listen to my stream of consciousness for almost 30 minutes.

View: https://youtu.be/gywLD6LWoaI

I still haven’t had much time to do anything on the Fox recently but hope to have at least one day or two to wrench for a few hours in the coming weeks.

I did finally decide to order a set of lowering springs for the Fox, and I plan to order caster camber plates and front lower control arms. Someone in my YouTube comments suggested a bump steer kit as well. I think I’ve seen a few people on here mention it as well. Any thoughts? I assume the smartest, most efficient approach would be to install a bump steer kit at the same time as the rest of the front suspension stuff.

If you’re thinking that me turning my focus to the suspension is my way of procrastinating on anything related to the power steering pump whine and oil leaks, you’re absolutely right. :)

You still have an open invitation to come down here and make a day of it. I know time is tight with the new baby...so how's the baby doing ?

Bump steer kit should be done with lowering springs and caster / camber plates. Express Auto on rt1 has an alignment lift that's built in the floor perfect for lowered cars. Not sure if a guy is there that does performance alignments ( I can supervise my own there though ).

• Hell Yeah!
You still have an open invitation to come down here and make a day of it. I know time is tight with the new baby...so how's the baby doing ?

Bump steer kit should be done with lowering springs and caster / camber plates. Express Auto on rt1 has an alignment lift that's built in the floor perfect for lowered cars. Not sure if a guy is there that does performance alignments ( I can supervise my own there though ).
Hey thanks man. The baby is doing great. There have been occasional moments of chaos but overall, can’t really complain about anything. :) Happy Father’s Day btw!

Thanks for the heads up on Express Auto. Once I get my hands on all the parts and find some time, I will let you know if I need to/can take advantage of your offer. I’m thinking this is going to be one of those processes where I go to the garage a few times throughout the day when the baby is napping, and it ends up taking a week or two, lol.

In other news, I found this on craigslist for pretty cheap so had to pick it up today. :cool:
7BA66D53-7598-4E5F-85B7-38072846AAC2.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Happy Father's day to you too, man !!!

Explorer intakes are good for what they are. The price will go up on them as time goes on. They're getting harder and harder to find.

Yup, you used to be able to get them for less than $100 with injectors and 65mm TB….but finding an explorer in a junkyard is becoming harder and harder these days. Prices going up.