Finished my Brake upgrade! *PIC*

BigHairyMonkey

Founding Member
Jun 18, 2003
Houston (Bellaire) TX
So i finished doing my brakes today :D . I got tired of the pulsating brakes, shaking steering wheel, foot to the floor pedal, so i finally upgraded to the good stuff. I got the Maximum Motorsports Brake Upgrade Package (for those who want prices) 275.00
-Hawk HPS Brake Pads
-MM High Performace Shoes
-MM Stainless Steel Caliper Sleeves
-MM Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Frnt & Rear Hoses)
PowerSlot 11'' Vented Rotors 200.00
Duralast Drums 60.00

God what an improvement:jaw: . No more shaking upon decelaration the car sheds speed like it was intended to, im still breaking them in but i can feel the stopping power has been improved 10 fold. The pedal is firm but not like a rock and my parking brake finally works :rlaugh: Could only snap 1 pic off my cellphone sorry guys (no one comment on my hackjob caliper painting skills:nonono: ) . All in all new brakes ftw:hail2: I highly recommend this setup to people who have no issues with 4 lug and want some better stopping power.

8713000_1024.ts1172300874000.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Fresh brakes will always feel like a huge improvement over worn out stuff. I hate to be blunt but you prob could have gone to autozone and bought new rotors and pads and shoes and noticed just as much of an improvement.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but $550 is a lot for what are still fox mustang brakes.

So for $550 what would you do to make them better?

Or what would you do to make them just as good for less $$$?

There really isn't much you can do to the stock Fox Mustang brakes to make them better. They aren an ancient design from the 70's that retains waaaay too much heat causing fade. You could run the best rotors and pads money could buy and one hard stop from 80MPH will fade them by the time you are almost stopped.

For $550 i could do a lot. My 4-wheel Cobra disk brake conversion cost me $650 in parts. That's 13" front rotors and 11.65" rear rotors. Performance is incredible.

I've done almost every brake upgrade you could to my car too, so i have an idea of how much imrpovement you get. I wasted a LOT of money.

I did
4-lug with 73mm calipers and hawk pads, sleeves and new drums/shoes
later changed to 5-lug rotors with 73's and hawk
then added LSC rear disks
then changed the front to 13" Cobra brakes
then changed LSC rear disks to GT rear disks
then changed GT rear disks to cobra rear disks.

Fresh brakes will always feel like a huge improvement over worn out stuff. I hate to be blunt but you prob could have gone to autozone and bought new rotors and pads and shoes and noticed just as much of an improvement.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but $550 is a lot for what are still fox mustang brakes.

that may be the case, but the reasons i went with this setup was

1. Time, between school and work i dont have time to hunt and peck for pieces of a 5 lug conversion, esp when i lack the knowledge to do so (dont wanna end up missing a critical piece when the time to swap comes)
2. Money, prob the biggest reason, a full 5 lug brake setup may not cost THAT much but this means new rims, (at least 400-500) and new tires (400-500), before you know it, your in it for at least 1500.
3. Impatience (if you can call it that), i might a jumped the gun a bit, and prob could of done better for the money but i had gotten the point where i couldnt drive on the stock **** anymore. I just didnt feel safe driving around houston (if you live there you know the drivers) and having some assclown dive on the brakes for no reason and cost me my life/car/etc.

Ive got all the 5 lug swap parts and will be able to do the complete swap for $850 or so, including wheels.
I bought the same size wheels as stock so I didnt need new tires.

or so... exactly my point, when your in college 200+ - bucks here and there mean the diff between living like a king or eatin ramen noodles between checks:) plus i want to get 17'' 4 lug black r's w/ a chrome lip when the rim time comes

Yeah, i miss that thread. Too bad it got lost because it's still good for a laugh now and then! ;)

If you google "Highway gangbang - in da butt" you can still find tons of threads on it....but i get no credit :(