First Oil Change

Still Bill

Oct 25, 2014
Washington State.
I have a 15 mustang 3.7L.
So maybe I am approaching this from an old "Hot Rodders" view point, but 10000 miles until the first oil change seems like a lot of miles on a brand new engine. I have 3800+ miles on it now and feel like I should get the oil changed. The oil still appears darn clean, but that doesn't mean there aren't small metal particles circulating from break in, unless that is no longer the case with new engines? Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, could not find anything with search regarding the subject.

Disclaimer: I am not good with the search function. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I always do a short change on a new motor. If it's a motor I built, I change at 500, 1000, and then normal after that.

I changed the oil in this at 1000 miles.

Oil's cheap, motors ain't. You'll never hurt the motor by changing it MORE often.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, you're good. I swapped over to Royal Purple at the first change.

Knock on wood.....but I swear by the stuff. I've run it in all my big HP stuff and have never had an oil related issue with any of my motors. Even on the truck, which hasn't been under 700 hp since 2008 and has been over 1000 hp since 2010, it still has all the original cross-hatching on the cylinder walls.

The motor in the Chevelle is going on 4-years at over 1000 hp and hasn't gotten anything more than routine maintenance.

My normal procedure is this, if it's a motor I've put together.....

Initial startup for 4 minutes at 1500 RPM's to keep the oil pressure up and make sure the cam doesn't get wiped. Check all the fluids then repeat the process but get the motor up to full operating temp to burp the cooling system. After this run I dump the oil, as it's usually full of assembly lubes and zinc additives. I always use Rotella for this initial break in. Fill in back up with Rotella and a bottle of zinc additive, run the valves, and then drive it for 500 miles. Dump the oil again, check the valves, repeat at 1000 miles. At 1000 miles I normally switch to Royal Purple and go to normal maintence at this point.

On new cars, I don't get quite so anal about. I just change the oil at 1000 miles and then normal maintenance.

Cool. I have been using royal purple in my 2000 HD Wide Glide for several years now. Over 95000 miles and she still pulls like a freight train. I've done all maintenance & performance mods myself. High volume oil pump, performance cams, and a laundry list of things, mostly moderate hot rodding. Original upper and lower motor and still rock solid. Anyway, thanks for the information!

Agreed on changing the oil sooner rather than later. I'll be changing mine this weekend as the car just turned 1,000 miles. I'm not sure what oil I'll put in this one, all of my other cars use Brad Penn and they don't make a 5-20, only a 0-30 and 5-30

I have a 15 mustang 3.7L.
So maybe I am approaching this from an old "Hot Rodders" view point, but 10000 miles until the first oil change seems like a lot of miles on a brand new engine. I have 3800+ miles on it now and feel like I should get the oil changed. The oil still appears darn clean, but that doesn't mean there aren't small metal particles circulating from break in, unless that is no longer the case with new engines? Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, could not find anything with search regarding the subject.

Disclaimer: I am not good with the search function. :shrug:
Did my first at 800 miles and will do it every 5000 going forward...

Reactions: 1 user
Think I did my first around 3k on my '13, used mobil1 full synthetic. Was getting very near my 2nd oil change at 14k miles before it got totaled. Thinking i'll do this one around 2-3k miles the same way.