First start up using megasquirt.. 1992 5.0.

well its been awhile since ive posted anything to do with my car... so i figured why not jump on stangnet and have a look at all the new posts.... My car ran great all last summer... Some minor hot start issues of going lean when above 190* but i ended up slowly gettin that figured out.. but other then that i cannot complain.. i had a few mechanical issue pop up too that ended up throwing a few things outta wack but i ended up chasing them down and fixing them. so i figured i havnt been on stangnet is ages so why not post a copy of my current tune and yesturdays datalog just because...

anyways if anyone spots any problems please point it out.. but to me i dont really see any that really pop out at me.. so enjoy

Attachments

• 2020-03-16_19.49.04.msq-Blucifer new built tune... spring.msq
    121.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 2020-03-16_15.45.06.mlg-drive port.mlg
    8.7 MB · Views: 114
  • Sponsors (?)

there are some areas around 1300-1600 rpm in the cruise range that are 13% off from target. but the rest of the tune looks to be ok, some small idle indiscrepancies but nothing that cant be worked out im sure.

i never even noticed that actually ,, havnt spend much time down low in the 1300-1600 range while crusing.. been mostly highway riding lately.. but ill have a look see at my data and histogram to see if ive been missing something... cause you figure 13% isnt a small number and i would have noticed haha... but i have noticed a major sumble on cold start in the 36* range... car seems to have either to much fuel on start up and Kinda boogles itself and revs up to high or i dont have enough fuel and to much air... had to set my idle valve at 60.5 to get it to start,, then it reved up to about 1800 for a few then dropped to target.i havnt had to many cold cold starts but tonight was the coldest.. so either ive got to much fuel going in on cold starts or somethings not playin nice together.. i actually caught a log of it tonight.. doing the calculations now to see how far im off

Attachments

• 2020-03-17_23.21.54.mlg-port.mlg
    3.5 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
holy crap My fueling on cold starts is way fricken off... basically starving my engine, Ughhhhh oh well adding fuel to it and gonna see what happens tomorrow. afr showed 15.9 soon as the gauge kicked on... god dam i thought i had enough fuel down low but i guess i didnt.. 15.9\14.3=0.899 ugghhh i hate the cold.. but thanks for the input steve,, much appreciated

Last edited:
Actually it could further off than that even, remember that you want to target an afr that is richer than normal during warmup.

well i think im happy with this... lil rich but it was a great start and even better ride.... added fuel downlow 1300-1600rpm range and it seem to like it alot.... drove nice and idled up to the lights really nice.. im actually really happy with the changes i made

Attachments

• 2020-03-18_13.33.18.mlg-cold start.mlg
    6.3 MB · Views: 96
hey steve or anyone for that matter whos better at reading logs then i am lol cause im not that great ..... im in a pickle with my hot starts again..... dam cars leaning out again even with extra fuel in the idle zone..... no idea if its a misfire or possibly deadtime related.... any input on these starts? im leaning towards either ive got not enough fuel in my idle area. but then again it could be that a dam vacuum leak has shown its ugly face.... but then again im not too sure.. and heres the :poo:ty part im kinda far from home doing some racing with buddies and wanna get this resolved before i make the 5hour trip back lol if not no biggy but your input would be appreciated,, heres a normal driving datalog from when we drove to the track and had a few stops..

Attachments

• 2020-03-31_14.48.56.mlg-drive55.mlg
    14.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 2020-03-31_18.28.07.msq-March31st Blucifer tune.msq
    121.6 KB · Views: 80
Have you taken a look at the ASE and ASE taper? these are what supply fuel directly after a hot start. If the car is leaning out after sitting and heat soaking for an extended period of time and the intake temps stay high until you are moving down the road then you may need to alter the air density curve....

-40.0 125.7
-4.0 115.8
32.0 107.3
59.0 101.7
86.0 96.7
113.0 92.1
140.0 89.6
194.0 87.0
248.0 84.0

yea we
Have you taken a look at the ASE and ASE taper? these are what supply fuel directly after a hot start. If the car is leaning out after sitting and heat soaking for an extended period of time and the intake temps stay high until you are moving down the road then you may need to alter the air density curve....

-40.0 125.7
-4.0 115.8
32.0 107.3
59.0 101.7
86.0 96.7
113.0 92.1
140.0 89.6
194.0 87.0
248.0 84.0

Yea we looked at the air density table before and we tweeked it abit.. i ended up goin back to the original values.. car was rich once i got better deadtimes then the ones i was using.. and about the after start enrichments yes ive tried those as well.. but never had much luck playing with them cause i gotta wait for my 02 to kick in... i had the enrichments set to 700 cycles so it gave the car time to cool off and match temp of the coolant. i might give that another try tho.. along with the air density table if i cant get the afterstart to help out..

hey this lean tip in that happens quick when i slowly push the throttle "casual driving only" thats because of there not being enough fuel on the walls for the throttle tip in right?? how do i go about gettin that small lean blip gone.. ive tried retuning my accel enrichments around to match my throttle tpsdot movements. but it doesnt seem to be enough to catch it.. this kinda seems like a advanced AE thing because of the wall fuel/puddle fueling but i dont have the time to fiddle with it.. just lookin for a few pointers on how to go about this before i just start adding fuel and stuff

Attachments

• 2020-04-23_22.30.55.mlg-hfhgffjf.mlg
    3.2 MB · Views: 74
well i figured its been awhile since my last update... so i figured why not do another one..... sooooo i did a thing.. haha finally added my turbo to my car.. and im totally in love with it considering ive literally just finished building it and did my first ride tonight which was a full success,,, No boost tho. but god dam i cant wait to hit that sweet sweet boost when i feel im ready and the tunes ready.... tune and first drive datalog attached for your viewing pleasure.. and yes during the end of my datalog it didnt come into closed loop so i already fixed that.. just figured id post for some giggles. and possibly advice if needed... so enjoy and im finally happy to be apart of the boosted 5.0 club.... happy trails

Attachments

• 106913524_2760409360838667_8513526375381581571_o.jpg
    106913524_2760409360838667_8513526375381581571_o.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2020-07-08_23.00.11.msq-turbo time.msq
    121.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 2020-07-08_19.44.07.mlg-fourth start little drive turbo.mlg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
Reactions: 1 users
Could you describe how you modified your stock cover for a/n fittings?

sure man.. i used my step drill bit and drilled the holes to fit the an fitting. then i got a 8an fuel bulkhead fitting that has a fuel safe teflon washer. has a nut that seals on the inside of the covers. i tossed some teflon tape and red loctite to keep it tight.. was pretty simple.. i will say one thing tho. if using stock covers like i did make sure to triple measure where your gona land with the rockers and stuff.. not alot of room for error the higher up the cover you go. i stayed low because im using trickflow rockers and they taper down, left me a good amount between rockers .

Attachments

• vpe-16893_xl.jpg
    vpe-16893_xl.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
im havin a hell of a time gettin my initial values table dialed in for my car... seems like it wants a crap-ton more air then it did before.. seems like im chasing my tail tryin to get it in a decent place. ive got a table made now that seems to be ok. but id kinda like another set of eyes to check it out and see if im going wrong somewhere.. car runs good and returns to idle pretty decent when you lift heavy. doesnt surge at all.. just seems like im always adding something to level it all out.. any advice is appreciated, Thanks in advance
also i did some autotuning in this datalog so i figured id give a heads up before im asked.. lol

Attachments

• 2020-07-22_18.26.49.msq-blucifer-turbo-tune.msq
    121.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2020-07-22_16.59.19.mlg-ride.mlg
    7.8 MB · Views: 64
try adding a bit of timing in the low load area, watch in the datalog where the load passes by the overrun area as it drops into idle. add a few degrees and blend up to the idle region. You are using a very large amount of timing to control the idle

try adding a bit of timing in the low load area, watch in the datalog where the load passes by the overrun area as it drops into idle. add a few degrees and blend up to the idle region. You are using a very large amount of timing to control the idle

my plan was to basically have 50% of idle controlled by timing and 50% controlled by the idle valve.. im using my idle advance to help slow down the return until closed loop kicks in then im using the idle valve to help ease it back into my hot idle target.. so what your suggesting is for me to add like say just for the sake of info.. my 15-30kpa area 23* then my 40kpa 21.5 then have it settle into idle of 20* seems like it could help abit.. i just wasnt sure if maybe the idle adaptive advance timing would fight against it.. ill give it a shot and see what it does tomorrow. i hope im on the right page lol. cars running good atleast..

it seems to me that the inital values table i made up has helped alittle bit.. so hopefully me adding abit of timing as the map swings into the overrun/idle section will help it ease into idle,, and if it does i might try lowering my hot idle down from 875 to 825 see if i can get it back down like i had it before i installed the turbo. that would be great..

Attachments

• 2020-07-23_14.00.22.mlg-hgffhh.mlg
    4.2 MB · Views: 61
@A9Lwhat Hey Steve I got a quick question about table switching for boost.. now to use this I just enable table switching under boost/advanced menu. Then choose source "kpa". 100 being the time to switch for boost. Then adjust new ve 3 table to cover 100kpa up to max kpa "205 in my case" .
Now there isnt anywhere id have to go and activate switching? I did notice too that under general settings theres the secondary load parameters for fueling.. now that doesnt have to be enabled too right? Since im using ve3 not ve2 for switching? And my last question is. Now should I leave 100 to 205 in my first table just incase this doesn't switch tables haha or can I just send it and interpolate the last 4 rows to match 100kpa then have the whole other table just pure boost ve??
Anyways sorry for the long 3part question haha but I figured id run that by you before just doing it and messing it up.. cars running awesome tho it likes that turbo haha and so do i

you can do it as you described the first time. For a simple build I dont bother, I set aside 4 rows for boost 203 175 150 125 less if the boost max is only 10psi... The car needs to be rich under boost.... thats it... but its not where a streetcar will need resolution so we leave the lower kpa and rpm bins with more rows/columns.
enabling a second source like fueling via alpha-n is useful in its own right but not for most builds

you can do it as you described the first time. For a simple build I dont bother, I set aside 4 rows for boost 203 175 150 125 less if the boost max is only 10psi... The car needs to be rich under boost.... thats it... but its not where a streetcar will need resolution so we leave the lower kpa and rpm bins with more rows/columns.
enabling a second source like fueling via alpha-n is useful in its own right but not for most builds

alright.. for me personally i like the resolution i have with the second table enabled.. makes it alot easier for me to hand tune boost. i was havin trouble gettin the numbers to play nice with each other.. my guess was it wasnt enough between the KPA bins.. my plan is to basically use the resolution i get with the second table enabled and then use the 100-135-175-205 numbers and interpolate between them when going back to the one fuel table.. Im only running 8psi now which is plenty for my car.. might go as high as 12 but thats a next year thing. on the brighter side of things i havnt popped a head gasket or the motor yet so i gotta be doing something right haha
thanks for the reply man.. hope your stayin safe during this apparent pandemic haha