Flowmaster 1-chamber vs. 2 chamber

Bill9000

Member
Oct 15, 2004
182
0
16
Hey everyone,

I've got a '97 GT and am putting flowmaters on it, that's decided upon. What I have not decided is to go with 1-chambers and leave the stock H-pipe, or to go with like an off-road X-pipe and put 2-chambers, my goal is I pretty much wanna be the loudest in town, without resorting to open headers :D

I had a '00 GT and put 2-chambers on it, and I was terribly disappointed with how quiet it still was! it sounded healthy, tone-wise and all, but lou-wise, it was barely louder than stock. (a little louder, not much)

So now, my research tells me that the ridiculous amount of cats they put on these things are quieting it down a lot, my question is as follows:

Would it sound louder/better with 1-chambers and stock H-Pipe or 2-chambers and an off road X-pipe?

Also possible if it's not loud enough with the first option, the 1-chambers and the Off road X-pipe?

thoughts anyone!?

any opinions are appreciated, I realize everyone will have varied opinions, as everyone likes diff things, just hoping someone's heard this type of setup before and can help out!

:D
 
Ok, I'm an advocate for dumps. Get the 2-chambers, an o/r h-pipe, and then some turndowns, holy CRAP will it be loud. That's a real cheap and easy way to get your mustang LOUD. I got my mufflers for $200, my h-pipe for $120, and my dumps for $12 :D and it sounds great.
 
2 chambers with aftermarket h pipe = very deep,and agree sounding.
2 chambers with x pipe = very high rpm sounding (raspy)
I personnally like the h with 2 chambers,especially in a off road :nice: .Too bad i had to add 2 cats do to the emisions law here!!! :nonono: But still loud enough. :)
 
O/R X pipe with 2 chambers sounds awesome as long as you get a good style X pipe. I recommend this combo.

I wouldn't do the 1 chamber and X pipe combo - it will just be loud and won't have as deep of a sound ...it will sound mean, but you might get annoyed by the rasp.
 
rustang04 said:
don't do 2-chambers w/ offroad x
sounds like *****
Just curious which X pipe you got? I've definately heard this situation, where Flows and X pipes don't sound good together. However, from what I've read, this seems to be the case with clamshell X pipe designs. I'm getting the SLP catted X to go with my Flow AT catback for my 02. This X pipe is more of a siamese design.
 
it's to my understanding that all but one brand of X-pipe sounds horrible, someone was explaining to me why, but I can't remember, I'll ask again.

I'm kinda leaning towards 1-chambers with the H-pipe :D
 
1-chambers with H will be VERY loud and sound like a freekin BEAST! Good choice.

Chambered mufflers usually sound like horse**** when paired with an X-pipe.

chambers + X = :barf:
chambers + H = :drool: :drool: :hail2: :hail2:
glasspacks (magnaflow) + X = :drool:
glasspacks + H = :hail2: :drool:
 
can someone explain what "dumps" are and how to do it. Its my understanding its basically sawing off the tailpipes and removing them. Does it do anything as far as performance? I've got an O/R H and some knock off 40 series. "v force" mufflers....

Andy
 
Turbo92PGT said:
can someone explain what "dumps" are and how to do it. Its my understanding its basically sawing off the tailpipes and removing them. Does it do anything as far as performance? I've got an O/R H and some knock off 40 series. "v force" mufflers....

Andy

Hey Andy, I sent you a PM on it.
 
I had 1 chambers on my 5.0 w/ an offroad H and tailpipes and it was louder than when I had 2 chambers dumped. It was a really gutsy insane balls to the wall sound. Once it hit 3000 rpms it sounded like my car was barfing out of the tailpipes (in a good way). I think 1 chambers and an X pipe would sound cool though.

And I know Magnaflows are a straight through design, but I wouldn't exactly compare them to glasspacks. I've heard a ton of people say they sound good, but never heard them in person, but if they sound like glasspacks, they belong on a truck.
 
Turbo92PGT said:
can someone explain what "dumps" are and how to do it. Its my understanding its basically sawing off the tailpipes and removing them. Does it do anything as far as performance? I've got an O/R H and some knock off 40 series. "v force" mufflers....

Andy

Dumps mean that instead of having tailpipes coming out of the muffler and winding around the rear axle out the back of the car, the pipes coming out of the muffler are immediately turned down facing the ground. The sound bounces off the ground and essentially becomes louder. Thats as easy as I can put it. Dumps are usually refered to as turn downs as well (same thing).

def1eppard said:
And I know Magnaflows are a straight through design, but I wouldn't exactly compare them to glasspacks. I've heard a ton of people say they sound good, but never heard them in person, but if they sound like glasspacks, they belong on a truck.

I always thought there were 2 types of muffler designs, chambered and straight-through/glasspack. In other words, I thought straight through and glasspacks were the same thing. I guess i could be wrong :shrug:
 
i used to have one chambers with my cattedx and it sounded good, loud as all hell not much drone at 70, 90 andup it droned bad. kinda miss them, they sound good with the stock h too. im looking for a catted h to go with my prostreets to get more of an old school rumble
 
get the offroad pipe... i have a 96 gt, wich will have the same stock exaust as your car, i unhooked the catback, and took drove around for a month.... it is actualyl louder now with m or x, and 40 series flows.. the stock h is what is killing you, even stock mufflers with a or x pipe will sound a million times better than what you have
 
Green4.6GT said:
get the offroad pipe... i have a 96 gt, wich will have the same stock exaust as your car, i unhooked the catback, and took drove around for a month.... it is actualyl louder now with m or x, and 40 series flows.. the stock h is what is killing you, even stock mufflers with a or x pipe will sound a million times better than what you have

thank you! that is definitely the info I needed, I suspected that stock H was a problem. I'll get a good offroad H, and the 1-chambers, since I prefer louder than most people, (I'm the most un-conservative person ever)

thanks!