SN95 Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for subframe connectors on SN95 Mustang convertibles

Bill95

Apr 9, 2005
Virginia
I am still looking for information on the Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) allowing subframe connectors on SN95 Mustang convertibles. All I can find is vague references and expired links. The funny thing is, I already have the subframe connectors on my 95 convertible. I just need to prove they are legal.

• Sponsors (?)

I am still looking for information on the Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) allowing subframe connectors on SN95 Mustang convertibles. All I can find is vague references and expired links. The funny thing is, I already have the subframe connectors on my 95 convertible. I just need to prove they are legal.
Legal for what?

SCCA SOLO. When I installed them, my concern was using them in the ESP class. That is why I know about the TSB. I used to have a copy and documentation that the SCCA allowed them (long lost). I believe they are actually legal for stock, but I am currently going for legal in STU, which (to my understanding) allows sub frame connectors, but not welded. The Ford TSB welds in the SFCs (Ford part numbers, XR3Z-76101W08 and XR3Z-76101W09).

TSB
00-9-7 VIBRATION/SHAKE - AT STEADY SPEED APPROXIMATELY 100 KM/H (62 MPH) - VEHICLES WITH 4.6L ENGINE AND CONVERTIBLE TOP

Publication Date: APRIL 25, 2000

FORD: 1996-1998 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
A vibration/shake while driving at a steady speed of approximately 100 km/h (62 mph) on smooth roads may occur on some vehicles. This may be due to the interaction between the body and suspension modes.

ACTION:
Perform Steps 1-7 of the Service Procedure to insure the vibration is not due to any common cause condition. If vibration is still unacceptable, install the components listed in this TSB article to reduce the vehicle's sensitivity to vibration. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the tires are not flat spotted, out of round, or excessively worn and the rims are not damaged or untrue.
Set all tire pressures to the pressure recommended on the vehicle label.
Verify that the lateral and radial runout of the wheel is less than 1.14mm (0.045"), then check to make sure the tires are properly balanced on a calibrated tire balancer.
Normalize engine and transmission mounts to eliminate possible stressed or bound up conditions.
Check for loose suspension fasteners, control arms, steering rack, engine mounts, crossmember, etc.
Replace any worn suspension or steering components.
Re-evaluate the vehicle. If OK, return to the customer. Some Mustang convertibles may be more sensitive to vibration than others. If unacceptable vibration is still detectable, perform the remaining Steps of this TSB.
Remove the negative battery cable.
Replace the engine mounts with a new set of Engine Mounts (XR3Z-6038-DA - RH and XR3Z-6038-DB - LH; these mounts are of a higher stiffness). Refer to the 1998 Mustang Workshop Manual for replacement procedure.
Install a set of Underbody Rails (XR3Z-76101W09-AA - Left and XR3Z-76101W08-AA - Right). Refer to Figure 1 to determine where to place the rails to the underbody. The underbody rails will need to be welded to the underbody of the vehicle by referring to the following:
A Mig welder and standard body Gas Metal Arc Welding repair procedure should be used. Remove the paint in the welding area only for better weld penetration.
The welds should have a minimum 5mm weld bead and a minimum total length of 75mm on both sides of the rail and at both front and rear ends (Figure 2).
Upon completion, the welded area should be treated for corrosion using Super Sealant (F3AZ-19515-SA or equivalent).
If this vehicle has an automatic transmission, transfer the attaching shift cable retainer from the body to the bracket that is located on the underbody rails.
Replace the Rear Shocks (F8ZZ-18125-BB; refer to the 1998 Mustang Workshop Manual, Section 204-02) using the new upper mount hardware included in the kit. Replace theFront Struts (F8ZZ-18124-BB; refer to the 1998 Mustang Workshop Manual, Section 204-01) using the new upper mounting hardware that is included in the kit. Reuse the existing jounce bumper and dust shield. The new mounting hardware includes as part of the fix a higher rate (stiffer) rubber isolator (white mark) and a 2mm shorter steel spacer.
Reconnect the battery.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XR3Z-76101W09-AA Underbody Rail - Left
XR3Z-76101W08-AA Underbody Rail - Right
XR3Z-6038-DA Engine Mount - RH
XR3Z-6038-DB Engine Mount - LH
F3AZ-19515-SA Super Sealant
F8ZZ-18125-BB Rear Shocks
F8ZZ-18124-BB Front Struts

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
000907A Perform Repair Procedure 4.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
76101W09 07

OASIS CODES:
303000, 703000, 703300

Figure 1 - Article 00-9-7

Figure 2 - Article 00-9-7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2000 Ford Motor Company

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I do not have the original Ford pdf. Perhaps a deal ship can help you with that part for TSB 00-9-7
That is amazing. It might not be exactly the one I am looking for, because it says 4.6 and I believe it applied to 94-95 models (5.0). On the other hand, maybe this still applied due to update/backdate rules. In any case, it sure gets me close, and gives me a way to convince the dealer they're not looking for a unicorn.

Thank you, SO much!

SCCA SOLO. When I installed them, my concern was using them in the ESP class. That is why I know about the TSB. I used to have a copy and documentation that the SCCA allowed them (long lost). I believe they are actually legal for stock, but I am currently going for legal in STU, which (to my understanding) allows sub frame connectors, but not welded. The Ford TSB welds in the SFCs (Ford part numbers, XR3Z-76101W08 and XR3Z-76101W09).
The SCCA is Wacked. A friend of mine wanted to run one of their classes with his Fox Mustang. Would not allow weld in sub frame connectors is a stock class, but you could run a bolt in 8 point cage...

The SCCA is Wacked. A friend of mine wanted to run one of their classes with his Fox Mustang. Would not allow weld in sub frame connectors is a stock class, but you could run a bolt in 8 point cage...
Subframe connectors, performance improvement. The 8-Point cage, safety improvement. Of course, you are putting the cage in to make the car stiffer, not because you expect to roll over. But, that's just the difference between the good reason, and the real reason.

I think I found the 94-95 TSB. I just have a number. TSB 5134

431EF3FA-8194-4DDD-8C44-D54515CDFA5C.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Subframe connectors, performance improvement. The 8-Point cage, safety improvement. Of course, you are putting the cage in to make the car stiffer, not because you expect to roll over. But, that's just the difference between the good reason, and the real reason.
True. The 8 point cage is a much bigger chassis stiffener than the sub-frame connectors. Yet the sub-frame connectors make the car "modified", not stock.
That is what makes the SCCA wacked. It is nonsensical stuff like that.
Go back to the mid/late 80's and the 5.0 Mustang could not run the stock roller lifters and camshaft. Mustang owners had to swap out to hyd flat tappet cams/lifters. Why? Because GM cried about it not being fair...Lol. It was pulling crap like that which turned me off to most things SCCA.
End rant.

It's not just, SCCA. When Chrysler came out with the Hemi, instead of throwing a fit, Ford came out with the 427 SOHC motor, a step too far. That led to tantrums from competitors, and the motor was banned.

But, anything that can be sold as safety, that will pass.

True. The 8 point cage is a much bigger chassis stiffener than the sub-frame connectors. Yet the sub-frame connectors make the car "modified", not stock.
That is what makes the SCCA wacked. It is nonsensical stuff like that.
Go back to the mid/late 80's and the 5.0 Mustang could not run the stock roller lifters and camshaft. Mustang owners had to swap out to hyd flat tappet cams/lifters. Why? Because GM cried about it not being fair...Lol. It was pulling crap like that which turned me off to most things SCCA.
End rant.
I think I found the 94-95 TSB. I just have a number. TSB 5134

431EF3FA-8194-4DDD-8C44-D54515CDFA5C.jpeg
I just sent a second letter to the SCCA board, adding the new information you gave me. I really do appreciate it.

Good question. I just checked, the site said it is "currently on the Street Touring agenda".
I will try to remember to post their decision for interested parties, but don't hesitate to ask.
I do appreciate your efforts to help with this.

I'm not ignoring you all. I just checked again, and still got, "Letter #31875 is currently on the SEB agenda", and "Letter #31890 is currently on the SEB agenda".
Then it occurred to me, if you have this link, https://crbscca.com/?page=trackLetter , and know I submitted letters 31875 (and an update 31890), you could check, too. Apparently the SEB meets the fourth Wednesday of the month...

Finally, an answer! As shown in the latest SCCA Fastrack,,]]...
#31875 Ford Mustang (SN95) Subframe Connector TSB Thank you for your input. Street Touring rules build on Street Category rules. Therefore, per section 13, Street Category, updated parts, replacement parts, or any other changes by the manufacturer documented in the parts catalog or other manufacturer documentation as superseding the original part number used when manufactured are considered to be standard parts. See Sections 3.8.A and 8.3.1 for documentation requirements to prove the legality of parts. The competitor is responsible for proving the legality of their car.

So, the factory subframe connectors are legal as factory parts, subject to the TSB. These are pat numbers,
XR3Z-76101W09-AA Underbody Rail - Left
XR3Z-76101W08-AA Underbody Rail - Right
See the rest of the thread for more details. And, no, they are not as stiff as some after market subframe connectors. But, YES, they absolutely made a difference in the stiffness of my 1995 convertible. Do NOT jack the car up under them!

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users