Fox Body Market

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah there's no doubt there are a lot of quick stuff out these days, in stock form we're majority out gunned in many cases, but again the driver can make the difference and a lot of these millennials and Gen Z kids, who most of the time would rather sit in front of the TV or play video games as opposed to spinning some wrenches, are automotively clueless.

It's sad really, with my stang and garage I am blessed to have, you'd think my boys would be asking to go out and work on stuff with Dad. Nope, despite many vast efforts, if I don't ask them to come out, they don't.

I warn them that if they don't come out with me and learn how to fix stuff, they will be just like their mom's dad and have to pay people to do everything for them. Even that's not worked. They may have to learn the hard way sadly. :notnice:. You can lead a horse to water....
I've seen this in my friends' kids. I played video games growing up, and I know that I sat there on more than one occasion when I could have been out at the beach, or in the neighborhood playing ball, working on my go-karts with dad, and so on.... I did all those things too, though. I didn't have a cell phone or tablet to constantly numb my mind back then, though. I don't have/want kids, but if I did, then I don't think I'd let mine stay on the computer or game consoles, too much. From the outside, it looks like addiction and in dire need of a limiting principle. Getting out and doing things brings confidence, socializing/networking to meet new people, quality-time with family, learning/development of skills, experimentation/trying new hobbies, and in the end fulfillment. Too much time playing video games & too much screen time brings emptiness/wastefulness/bitterness and a lack of all of those other positives; it only benefits by passing time without boredom & has the same release of endorphins that drugs or doing something exhilarating brings. So, it's fun in the moment, but not rewarding in the long-term. I just think you have to instill the first part of doing real activities and appreciating them in totality before even giving them a taste of the 2nd part. Unfortunately, it seems like giving the kid the drug is helpful to the parents who don't want to deal with a bored kid.

Technically I’m a millennial ;)

Actually I think I heard it dubbed “geriatric millennial”
Yeah, me too. We kinda came up on the forum together. I was born in '82. You?

Performance aside. Take off from a dead stop in a model 3 and accelerate casually (50-60% throttle) up to 90mph.

Now do it in a fox body rowing through 4th gear with a healthy exhaust note

Which one is more fun to do it in?
The same reason a manual transmission is more fun than an automatic. Then you get all the guys going "but but but... An auto can be both faster and more fuel efficient." Yeah, maybe... But you're not getting it, dude. But that's ok. Different strokes for different folks. I'll never convince somebody that doesn't want to learn how to drive a stick shift that it's worth the effort and way more rewarding.

I read somewhere a while back that kids born from like 76 to 83/84ish (don't remember exact years) were basically in their own generation... in between Gen X and Millennials as we were right in that sweet spot where we will did tons of stuff outdoors, ran around with no cell phones or anything, played video games and grew up on computers but aren't attached like some of the younger gens. I don't recall what they were calling it, but I was born in 80 and I don't feel like I fit in Gen X and most certainly not a Millennial.

Reactions: 1 user
I read somewhere a while back that kids born from like 76 to 83/84ish (don't remember exact years) were basically in their own generation... in between Gen X and Millennials as we were right in that sweet spot where we will did tons of stuff outdoors, ran around with no cell phones or anything, played video games and grew up on computers but aren't attached like some of the younger gens. I don't recall what they were calling it, but I was born in 80 and I don't feel like I fit in Gen X and most certainly not a Millennial.
Sounds like I'm good since I was born in 78.

Xennials
1663444888490.png

Reactions: 1 users
No wonder it is " crickets" when I talk about the Gas shortage of 74 and 77/78..... LOL ..... Probably think Its a fake news story from a senile old man...

Our foxes dont rule the street like they did years ago, but they sure aren't slow either. On paper, yes heads up were donezo against a lot of wants out there today. But we have to remember our foxes are light and there's two ways to be fast. Add power or lose weight.

I was just talking with my son about this the other night. His friend at school has an 07 GT who thinks he can smoke me. The 07 GT is 300hp 300tq. My 87 is 225hp 300tq. The 07 is 400lbs heavier than my 87 GT convertible, which is significant. It may not matter because my racing days are mostly done, but it's a factor nonetheless.

The other thing is most kids today have no clue how to race period, other than mash the skinny pedal on green.

We have a one two lane road near a hospital that eventually goes to one lane (each way) and idioits always try to go in the left lane, race and cut in front of the folks in the right which Ps me off.

One night i had the stang out and some young punk lined up next to me in the left lane in some turbo SUV. Not sure what it was but he kept inching forward on red so I knew what the deal was and I wasn't going to have any of it.

I watched the traffic light like John Force watching the Christmas tree at Maple grove (lol yes I've raced there). Light goes green and I hit it. Wound out 1st and 2nd hard. Five liters of fury pulled strong and in the upper RPM range made the sweetest music no other engine or radio could ever duplicate. I look back and I've got at least 5 cars easy on that thing no joke. He had nothing for the old fox, he never knew what hit him.

Yes she's no race car, but certainly not slow either. That night, that kid learned what an old 5.0 fox body stang could do (and an old man who knows how to race) I had a smile on my face and felt like I was 23 again and back at the grove.....hahaha.

Good stuff Gents. I sure do love my foxbody. Now just as much as I did in my teens when these cars were new.

Have a great Saturday.
I tried to keep up with a Grand Cherokee once. I didn't know about the Trackhawk version with over 700 hp when I tried. The noise on that thing was loud and it just gripped over everything, including railroard tracks. Le'ts just say I lost pretty bad.

I just had a friend pay $25k for a pristine 93' Mustang GT,. This is absolutely ridiculous. The appeal of a Mustang is that it's cheap. This paying Supra prices for Mustangs has to stop.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I've seen this in my friends' kids. I played video games growing up, and I know that I sat there on more than one occasion when I could have been out at the beach, or in the neighborhood playing ball, working on my go-karts with dad, and so on.... I did all those things too, though. I didn't have a cell phone or tablet to constantly numb my mind back then, though. I don't have/want kids, but if I did, then I don't think I'd let mine stay on the computer or game consoles, too much. From the outside, it looks like addiction and in dire need of a limiting principle. Getting out and doing things brings confidence, socializing/networking to meet new people, quality-time with family, learning/development of skills, experimentation/trying new hobbies, and in the end fulfillment. Too much time playing video games & too much screen time brings emptiness/wastefulness/bitterness and a lack of all of those other positives; it only benefits by passing time without boredom & has the same release of endorphins that drugs or doing something exhilarating brings. So, it's fun in the moment, but not rewarding in the long-term. I just think you have to instill the first part of doing real activities and appreciating them in totality before even giving them a taste of the 2nd part. Unfortunately, it seems like giving the kid the drug is helpful to the parents who don't want to deal with a bored kid.

Yeah, me too. We kinda came up on the forum together. I was born in '82. You?

The same reason a manual transmission is more fun than an automatic. Then you get all the guys going "but but but... An auto can be both faster and more fuel efficient." Yeah, maybe... But you're not getting it, dude. But that's ok. Different strokes for different folks. I'll never convince somebody that doesn't want to learn how to drive a stick shift that it's worth the effort and way more rewarding.
In theory your 100% correct. Getting them out and moving is a bit different in practical application. Trust me, it's not without a great deal of effort on my part, past and present. It just seems to be the way they are. My brother is a school teacher and sees it all the time across the board pretty much. Hopefully one day they will figure it out. Maybe when they have to start paying for things on their own.