Foxbody lean. Please help

Nov 30, 2019
Toronto
Morning guys, heading out to work yesterday I noticed looking very carefully that my fox is leaning a bit to the drivers side. Springs appear to be OE, so my guess is there sagging like a senior. If I go the spring route, what are the odds that’s the definitive issue..? Seen guys say “tweaked framerails” which is a possibility but highly unlikely for my fox as it’s never really been hard launched. Best fix ?

Attachments

• 6E97742D-05F3-472E-B98D-F0B38C7FA935.jpeg
    6E97742D-05F3-472E-B98D-F0B38C7FA935.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 5DDBFBAA-74CF-4472-AE5A-85103BBA82DF.jpeg
    5DDBFBAA-74CF-4472-AE5A-85103BBA82DF.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Sponsors (?)

Morning guys, heading out to work yesterday I noticed looking very carefully that my fox is leaning a bit to the drivers side. Springs appear to be OE, so my guess is there sagging like a senior. If I go the spring route, what are the odds that’s the definitive issue..? Seen guys say “tweaked framerails” which is a possibility but highly unlikely for my fox as it’s never really been hard launched. Best fix ?
Hi,
Same in the front as the rear? I’d suggest using simple geometrics & the level floor in the picture to locate the issue.. You can do some or all of the steps, think you’ll understand, please ask if unclear.
Verify sheet metal gaps as uniform, not locked tight on one side, opposite the other & heights are the same.
Measure 4-6 points from the floors edge,(front & right) strike an inverted & mirrored ‘L’ line between them so you can drive squarely up perpendicularly.
Jack it up on that nice flat floor & place stands on the same areas opposite one another on the frame, letting the Suspension drop. If the floor’s true, stands same height, jacked on similar points, car reads level..your frame is likely fine. Suspension hanging level?
Take/record some measurements, use your (2) lines as reference dimensions & use a straightedge to draw small lines under the car on each side at spots you want to measure from (so they’re the same points on each side). Pull the tires & measure floor to unitized frame & suspension pivot points at several different intersections, cross corner & see if the sides match. A twist should show up pretty evidently.
Car still on stands, centralize a Jack under the differential & see where it begins to lift the body (don’t need to actually raise the body off the stands) into the load bearing support of the coils, should see the axle kick up on the side with the weak spring as you go higher up, deflected by the stronger spring.
It’s not a frame rack nor Tram gauges, but will prove the origin of your issue.
Good luck!
-John

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
Same in the front as the rear? I’d suggest using simple geometrics & the level floor in the picture to locate the issue.. You can do some or all of the steps, think you’ll understand, please ask if unclear.
Verify sheet metal gaps as uniform, not locked tight on one side, opposite the other & heights are the same.
Measure 4-6 points from the floors edge,(front & right) strike an inverted & mirrored ‘L’ line between them so you can drive squarely up perpendicularly.
Jack it up on that nice flat floor & place stands on the same areas opposite one another on the frame, letting the Suspension drop. If the floor’s true, stands same height, jacked on similar points, car reads level..your frame is likely fine. Suspension hanging level?
Take/record some measurements, use your (2) lines as reference dimensions & use a straightedge to draw small lines under the car on each side at spots you want to measure from (so they’re the same points on each side). Pull the tires & measure floor to unitized frame & suspension pivot points at several different intersections, cross corner & see if the sides match. A twist should show up pretty evidently.
Car still on stands, centralize a Jack under the differential & see where it begins to lift the body (don’t need to actually raise the body off the stands) into the load bearing support of the coils, should see the axle kick up on the side with the weak spring as you go higher up, deflected by the stronger spring.
It’s not a frame rack nor Tram gauges, but will prove the origin of your issue.
Good luck!
-John

surely a twisted or tweaked frame would be very evident while driving? Mine drives and handles perfectly. This is the first time I’ve noticed in the year and a half I’ve owned it. Also, the driver front tire was lower on air (was about 20psi, all other tires pumped to 35psi) and pumping it up a bit actually helped level it a bit but it’s still out a bit. Can anyone recommend a good, cheaper but new lowering spring ? I choose lowering springs solely because it makes installation a bit easier.

You do not really want cheap springs that will sag again soon, right? I do not think even JC Whitney still sells the really cheap ones anymore.

I found the Ford B springs to be a good deal with a bit of rake and a ride that does not break up kidney stones. TRW, Moog and Maximum Motorsports are other quality part brands I’d consider.

Interesting guide. I have always worried about the front spring or something popping out when changing springs, a arms or the struts. It’s a matter of how much do I trust a jack I bought at Checker/Autoworks (now O’Reilly’s) with an employee discount? Any suggestions on that besides an internal or external spring compressor?

Spring install is easy with this tool. Saved me HOURS using this. Easily cut my spring install time in half or more.

You do not really want cheap springs that will sag again soon, right? I do not think even JC Whitney still sells the really cheap ones anymore.

I found the Ford B springs to be a good deal with a bit of rake and a ride that does not break up kidney stones. TRW, Moog and Maximum Motorsports are other quality part brands I’d consider.

I’m all for higher quality brands for sure but i also don’t have all the money for springs now I’ve just started building another 302:/ my buddy has OE springs off his parts car he said I could have there not sagging yet but it’s only a matter of time before they do. Should I take those for now ?

Have the car checked out on a frame machine. If you can find a good frame/alignment shop, you get some good information on where to start and what needs fixing.

If it checks out good, then have them put some subframe rails on the car while it is still on the frame machine, level and trued' up. Then your car is straight and will likely stay that way unless it gets in a major fender-bender

• Useful
Do as jrichker says, then use the stock spring plan for cheap. Uneven sagging is not that common.

I’m all for higher quality brands for sure but i also don’t have all the money for springs now I’ve just started building another 302:/ my buddy has OE springs off his parts car he said I could have there not sagging yet but it’s only a matter of time before they do. Should I take those for now ?

Spring install is easy with this tool. Saved me HOURS using this. Easily cut my spring install time in half or more.

I have this tool too. It works good for shorter springs like what is usually installed. However, if you're trying to install stock or stock length springs, it's not good enough because the springs are so long.

For longer stock springs you'll need a compressor. Compress them off the car then secure them in the compressed state with hay bailing wire. Then you can remove the compressor tool, fit springs into car then cut the bailing wire off.

Foxbody lean is a pretty common issue. Mine leans a little to the left in the rear as well. I’ve read it’s likely opposite side front cause the rear to lean. Ie your low tire. There’s lots of other contributing factors. Are springs clocked correctly? Spring isolators in good shape? Is the battery in the trunk? Does this car have SFC and were they installed correctly?