Front Wheel Spacers on Fox

Wondering if anyone is using 1/4 inch spacers up front to bring their wheels out a little more. The rears on this car come out father than the front and I'd like to get it more beefy looking all around. Front wheels are 18x8.5 with 265/35 tires. Any photos of your setup? Any potential problems? Car has SN95 spindles, lowered about 1.5 inches, has bump steer kit.

• Sponsors (?)

The thing to watch out for is that as you push the front wheels out more, the arc that the wheel travels when you turn the steering wheel get larger in radius. That could potentially cause issues with the tire rubbing on the inner fender and also contacting the front and rear of the fender edges.

If you have plenty of room now, it prob won't be an issue with 1/4" but if you are close now you will definitely want to pay attention. Rack limiters may be needed.

Reactions: 1 user
The thing to watch out for is that as you push the front wheels out more, the arc that the wheel travels when you turn the steering wheel get larger in radius. That could potentially cause issues with the tire rubbing on the inner fender and also contacting the front and rear of the fender edges.

If you have plenty of room now, it prob won't be an issue with 1/4" but if you are close now you will definitely want to pay attention. Rack limiters may be needed.
Rack limiters already installed by the previous owner, it rubs due to ride height and tire size. I wonder if I'll have to bring the front up a tad if I use spacers. Fenders have also been rolled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928_100753.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928_100753.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 71
That picture looks like the rear is an incorrect back spacing. The front seems to sit perfect. The back definitely sticks out.

Reactions: 1 users
That picture looks like the rear is an incorrect back spacing. The front seems to sit perfect. The back definitely sticks out.
I bought it this way and I've heard from several armchair mechanics the reasons why the rear wheels stick out a little... the rear is out of an old Lincoln Mark III, the SN95 brakes on it cause them to stick out, the axles are wrong and should be changed to standard Fox axles, and the wheel backspacing is wrong (was told it is 20). So I'm not sure why they do,. I could change everything on the list to see.

You don't say what it's hitting.
In my experience ride height isn't that much of a factor for rubbing. A lowered car may rub more often, but the suspension still travels the same path over bumps.
I'm guessing you just have too much tire and if you push the wheels out i bet you have even more trouble. But that's easy to figure out, go to the autoparts store and buy a cheap spacer and install it. If it works you can buy quality ones.
I'll agree too, the front looks right, the rear doesn't.

Remember too a 265 is a lot of tire on the front of a fox, lowered or not.

I bought it this way and I've heard from several armchair mechanics the reasons why the rear wheels stick out a little... the rear is out of an old Lincoln Mark III, the SN95 brakes on it cause them to stick out, the axles are wrong and should be changed to standard Fox axles, and the wheel backspacing is wrong (was told it is 20). So I'm not sure why they do,. I could change everything on the list to see.

A lincoln Mark 3? With SN95 brakes? Do you mean a Mark 7? There are offset brackets to allow you to run fox lenght axles to fix that. I would just confirm 100% what you have first before recommending parts.

Do you have a shot down the side to see how far the wheels stick out? I actually think the front is fine. I agree that it's the rear that should come in slightly. I imagine you are hitting the fender lips?

The car at a minimum does have the wrong length axles . You have any pics with wheel off to see the brakes and stuff . Worst case it’s an axle and a caliper bracket backing plate swap . Wheels are fine plenty have ran them

Beautiful car btw