fuel filter.. when to change and how much should i pay?

wms004

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm at 27,000 miles, so wondering if I should change it now and how much it should cost.. Jiffy Lube gave me a quote of 54 bucks.. seems steep to say the least. Ford charges 16 bucks for the filter itself.. so is jiffy lube chargine almost 40 bucks just to put the thing in???

Also does the brand matter? Should i stick with motorcraft or are others fine?

• Sponsors (?)

Or you can buy the $5.00 tool and crawl under your car (assuming it has the same type of lock as the Ford Ranger). It will take 30 seconds if you know what you are doing, or five minutes if it's your first time and you have to fumble around.

Is it something you're willing to try? Is it worth the $54? I did the one on my Ford Ranger because I wanted to try it. I just used a generic brand filter.

Just did mine at 27k miles. I think that changing it bet 25-30k is a good schedule to keep especially if you run the tank low sometimes. I used a fuel filter from NAPA. In general, I trust parts from NAPA. Often times, they are the OEM parts that I take off the car.

Edit: Cost was $11.00 and easy to install. The filter is located right by the rear differential, so all that is needed is to put the rear of the car on jack stands so that the rear diff is in a down position. This gives room to access the filter. Use the fuel disconnect tool to pop off the filter.

got a filter at autozone for $7, bought the little puller tool things, used them and returned them, cuz those lil craps cost $12 bux. (i know im bad by doing this, but i was poor).

no way in hell is this a $15+ fix, if so, you got screwed or just that lazy :)

I just did mine for the first time at ~46,000 miles. I should have done it at ~25,000 miles but didn't get around to it.

It cost $11.00 for a motorcraft filter and I already had the disconnect tool.

Real easy to do.

I just changed mine yesterday and it was a breeze. I got the filter from Napa and it cost me $8.99 and the little spring release clips set me back $6.99. The process took me about 15 minutes. The one thing you need to watch out for is the remaining gas left in the fuel lines. It is a damn good thing to do, as the gas that came out was dark brown/black.