Gas coming out of valve cover breathers?

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
So long story short car was taken to a shop to have work done...they did a hack job and i took my car home before too much damage was done...fuel tank was removed and replaced by them and very little fuel put back in when i got it...car wouldnt start when i got it home to pull it off the trailer...tried for a few minutes with nothing until i realized it must not have enough fuel in the tank with the angle the trailer was on....added 5 gallons...it finally started and i brought it in the garage...took the car out today...let it idle for about 15 min...it cant be driven in its current state...when i went to back it into the garage...it stalled out...had to give it gas to start...idle was sloppy. Gave it a little throttle backed into the garage...idle got sloppy again and stalled. I have two catchcans off my valve covers and noticed gas in them?

• Sponsors (?)

It was idleing smooth and after a few minutes i gave it a few revs...sounded good and came down to idle good as well...then stalled etc when starting to back up into the garage....but wondering if its loaded up from all the cranking to get it started off the trailer?

You got a power adder like a turbo or blower?
I would say to pull the plugs and crank the engine over with your foot on the floor to clear the cylinders, put in fresh plugs and see what it does but you saying there is fuel coming out of the breathers concerns me. We are talking fumes not raw gas right?

Supercharger...ran perfect before i dropped the car off in november...been great for a couple years...the bottom og the catchcans have petcocks on them. Saw some liquid which is normally just water vapor when i first start it sometimes but it has a strong fuel smell to it...

No way to know...i checked the rear tire area for rubber etc from burnouts but they turned out to be a scumbag place and im very upset with what i picked up and the whole ordeal...whats your thoughts about the situation? The tune was set on the richer side...

No way to know...i checked the rear tire area for rubber etc from burnouts but they turned out to be a scumbag place and im very upset with what i picked up and the whole ordeal...whats your thoughts about the situation? The tune was set on the richer side...
I think you're another instance for the thread I did months ago about choosing a shop, and holding them accountable so you wont have to go and pick up your unfinished project.

Reactions: 1 user
I take alot of pride in my car...ive done everything myself up to this point...but what i have planned requires alot of welding etc and i needed a shop to do that part for me unfortunately...i did my research and the shop appeared to be great...told them my whole plan etc...the experience i had with them and the way they treated my car is appalling...and if you saw what they charged me for basically only cutting out my factory tubs its ridiculous...

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
There's only one way youll ever get something done when you want it.

There's more than one guy here who's cut the factory wheel tubs out of the car to use as a guide. And if you can keep a car pointed forward you should be able to drive a sawzall through that sheet metal....but,..that was then.

I have mini tubbed 5 cars now since 1990.
The first time I did that I hadn't ever did something that complicated before.
I had a shop that did AC ductwork build the mini tubs off of cardboard templates that I gave them. They rolled the Pittsburg locks that allowed me to put the two pieces together ( side and top), and I riveted everything in after that.

I was 33 when I attempted that. I was broke, and couldn't afford to even pay attention back then..
3d1k_zpsxi8b353t.jpg

But I found a way...cause this car...
Became ..
Hurricane_zps8de27a69.jpg

This car.
Doing it yourself is the only way things go the way you want them to go..
It may take a few times...it may not be perfect,...it may require more effort than you want to give to the project. But when its done,.....

Well,...you'll never have to post a nightmare story about how a shop fckd you, or how a shop took for fckin ever to do something that never got done...and...itll be all you.

I taught myself to do this because I couldn't afford to.pay a shop to do stuff for me. Now that I can do it...the upside is ill never put my stuff in somebody's else's hands and have to wait on them ever again. The money you had to pay them is saved, and goes directly into the project.

I've heard that if the tune is excessively rich, it can "wash down the cylinder walls," which kills the lubrication from oil and the piston and cylinder wall will scar each other. Again, I have heard this. However, I have personally seen my AFR drop below 9.8, which pegs my meter, during tuning sessions, and I did not experience any indication in the oil or from my breathers that gas had gotten into my oil.

The point is that even if your tune is pretty rich, this should not happen. It would have to be gross negligence in tuning to be that bad. I would also consider the idea that one of your fuel injectors won't close. This can happen when your duty cycle or fuel pressure is too high.

Woah . This is one is all over the place . Pull the plugs . See if their are any that are just completely fuel washed .

Next pull the dipstick and see if you smell oil on it. I’d then drop the oil and see if it has fuel in it or if it’s completely fuel washed . The only time I have ever seen fuel in a catch can and it was suspended in a large amount of oil was on nicks @84Ttop car that has 500lb Moran injectors and runs on M1 .

I can’t see any logical way that PURE fuel would get into a catch can from a breather line . So what it sounds like to me is that the car was started and moved around the shop various times never reaching temp an what you have is some serious condensation water in the cans that reak of fuel. ( this I have had happen with my own car )

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone for the input and help.

@TOOLOW91 im thinking it is most likely fuel smelling condensation as you described. Dipstick did have a slight fuel smell to it but ive seen that in the past before. I will be changing the oil in the next week or two when i can go get some new oil and filter.

@CarMichael Angelo yes i agree thats the best way to go about it. And i do plan to learn how to weld etc at somepoint. What i have planned now is a little more than just the basic tub install so i wanted someone whos done this type of work before to do this portion for me. Also time is a huge thing for me as im super busy with work this time of year.

I've heard that if the tune is excessively rich, it can "wash down the cylinder walls," which kills the lubrication from oil and the piston and cylinder wall will scar each other. Again, I have heard this. However, I have personally seen my AFR drop below 9.8, which pegs my meter, during tuning sessions, and I did not experience any indication in the oil or from my breathers that gas had gotten into my oil.

The point is that even if your tune is pretty rich, this should not happen. It would have to be gross negligence in tuning to be that bad. I would also consider the idea that one of your fuel injectors won't close. This can happen when your duty cycle or fuel pressure is too high.

Idle was around 12.5 AFR yesterday...last season it was right in mid 14s when cruising etc and car was running great. Im leaning more towards toolow91s thoughts as it isnt raw fuel but water vapor/condensation that smells of fuel.

I cant drive the car now since it has no rear suspension so just started it and let it run for a few. My reference to the 14.7 was for all of last yr and the year before when i had it tuned. Ive changed nothing mechanically etc. Only drive about 500-1000 miles a year maybe and oil is fresh every year. That being said the bung i have my wideband in is a little long (1") and plan to swap it out with a 1/2" bung and fresh sensor when i re do the exhaust so it leaves some room for error in the readings...Of course all that is on hold now and the car most likely wont be on the road this year at this point.

Also, I was able to get a few drops from the catch cans and attempted to ignite them and they wont so it seems to be more along the lines of fuel smelling water vapor

Assuming all seems well with the plugs and put in fresh oil etc...whats the best way for me to go about storing the car for this long of a period of time...what i have planned now the car probably wont be on the road until next summer (2020). Just let it sit and then reprime oil pump before starting or start it and hold throttle at higher rpms for awhile after warmed a few times here and there? I have the car sitting on springs right now so i can drive it in and put of the garage and unto a trailer but thats it.