gear drive? pete jackson

Bill9000

Oct 15, 2004
hey! I'm going to be fixing a small timing cover leak, and since I had the timing cover off, I was thinking maybe a gear drive, since I will be right there...

anyone have one? any videos or anything of them? I hear they sound pretty cool and last better than a chain!

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

they work good, keep accurate time BUT they are noisy and trasmit unwanted vibration from the crankshaft to the camshaft, reducing the life of you cam bearings. for a street application i wouldnt reccomend it. a good ol chain does just fine.

they work good, keep accurate time BUT they are noisy and trasmit unwanted vibration from the crankshaft to the camshaft, reducing the life of you cam bearings. for a street application i wouldnt reccomend it. a good ol chain does just fine.

I think hes after the noise....lol

And the vibrations are really nothing to worry about,as valve springs will dampen out most except thier own harmonics.The big thing is that the block might need machining to clear some of the gear drive componets and that my guess would be the gears would generate more heat as well.