Get more power out of S&B intake

PSYKOSTEVO

Banned
Apr 11, 2008
For those guys who bought the S&B intake, here is a modification that adds 7rwhp in addition to the gains from the intake. I have tried this on 2 different GTs and both picked up 7rwhp.

What you need to do is take off the S&B airfilter, and install a Spectre Airfilter from a local parts store. Now, don't get ahead of yourself because if you don't tune it, then your car will start up and shut off. The reason being is that the Spectre Filter flows ~35% more air than the S&B filter.

The good news is that I have tackled the MAF table for you, and this is what you will need to put in there:

The power gains are noticable from ~2,750 rpms and up. It will be well worth the $27 for the filter after tax.

Adios Compadres

• Sponsors (?)

So put a Spectre filter on the end of the JLT CAI and you get 7hp more with the corrected MAF info? While I'm not questioning you, I've always thought of Spectre air filters the same way I've always thought of Fram oil filters... at the bottom of the barrel. If there quality of filtering is better than I thought, than maybe it'd be worth a try.

So put a Spectre filter on the end of the JLT CAI and you get 7hp more with the corrected MAF info? While I'm not questioning you, I've always thought of Spectre air filters the same way I've always thought of Fram oil filters... at the bottom of the barrel. If there quality of filtering is better than I thought, than maybe it'd be worth a try.

the JLT doesn't have a MAF restricted filter does it? doesn't it already need a tune?

and for the record the 7rwhp is NOT because of a tune, it is strictly from the filter and MAF calibration. NO OTHER CHANGES were made.

Posted via Mobile Device

The JLT CAI uses a S&B filter, so I assumed it would run into the same issues as the actual S&B intake. Is that a wrong assumption?

It might be a wrong assumption. I don't know what the filter looks like that comes with the JLT intake in particular. The filter that comes with the S&B intake has a donut type thing inside that restricts a good portion of the airway so that you don't have to have your MAF retuned as it is.

Take your filter off and look. The restrictor would be obvious.

Ok, I understand what you're saying now. At first read (and second as well, I guess), I thought that the air filter alone was what was improving the performance, when in fact it's the actual lack of the restrictor that is improving it. Only reason I jumped in on this thread was because I thought maybe the S&B air filter was not as high flowing as I previous thought, and the JLT comes with a S&B filter.

So, the bottom line is that you can gain HP by replacing the filter with restrictor in it, with one that doesn't have it.

Good deal. :) :nice:

Exactly! It will save the S&B owners a few bucks if they were thinking that they had to buy a whole new intake if they wanted something a little better.

And hey 7rwhp is not joke. That's worth every penny. For most people they will need to pay for a new tune from their tuner in addition to the cost of the filter. But still a cheaper option than buying a whole new intake AND a tune anyhow.

I tend to worry when messing with filters that flow that well. As with K&N, they flow extremely well. However in independant testing, K&N does a crappy job of filtering. The whole purpose of a filter is to feed clean air into the engine. A couple more hp isn;t worth long term engine damage. I'm not saying spectra doesn't filter well, just wish there was some data on it. I also like the new AEM dryflow filters, they have good flow and yet filter well and best of all, they don't require oil. Ford mafs hate oil as we all know. I wonder how your experiment would work using other filters like the dryflow, K&N, aimsoil and so on. There maybe a happy medium, where we have a filter that flows well and yet filters well. Like I say, I'm not saying the spectra doesn't filter well, like others, I've allways considered them a junky filter, but maybe not. I just know our engines aren't cheap to replace on an experiment that has gone wrong. Some data on the spectra may ease some concerns.

I tend to worry when messing with filters that flow that well. As with K&N, they flow extremely well. However in independant testing, K&N does a crappy job of filtering. The whole purpose of a filter is to feed clean air into the engine. A couple more hp isn;t worth long term engine damage. I'm not saying spectra doesn't filter well, just wish there was some data on it. I also like the new AEM dryflow filters, they have good flow and yet filter well and best of all, they don't require oil. Ford mafs hate oil as we all know. I wonder how your experiment would work using other filters like the dryflow, K&N, aimsoil and so on. There maybe a happy medium, where we have a filter that flows well and yet filters well. Like I say, I'm not saying the spectra doesn't filter well, like others, I've allways considered them a junky filter, but maybe not. I just know our engines aren't cheap to replace on an experiment that has gone wrong. Some data on the spectra may ease some concerns.

You didn't read this thread very well.

The reason the other filter is better is that the S&B filter has a restrictor physically inside of the filter that keeps the MAF sensor the same diameter. The new filter does not have that, and that is why it flows better. Use whatever brand filter you want, as long as it doesn't have a plate inside of it blocking the airflow.

I read it just fine, were not refering to the resticter, I'm refering to how well does the spctra filter the air. You missing the whole point, which is some filters do a better job of filtering than do others. At the same time some filters flow better than others. The point being, using a good filter with decent flow and still filter out the dirt, unlike K&N. I use to use K&N all the time untill it was brought to my attention on another forum that K&N ranks torward the bottom in independant testing on how well they actually filter the incomming air. He had gotten better flow with the spectra which had no restriction, but was wondering how well spectra filters. Increased flow isn't worth it at the expense of poor filtering, nothing to do with the restriction plate, but how good a filter is.