Going to look at heads, intake and TB today.

• Sponsors (?)

Matt, I recommend saving up some more cash for some aluminum heads and an nice aftermarket intake. Those parts your going to look at are going to net you maybe 10-15hp. Think about the long run and what you really want out of your car, if you want performance, then your wasting your money looking at those mentioned above. If your on a tight budget, send your current pieces out to get ported and cleaned up, dont bother replacing them with mor(excuse my language) crappy parts.

sirsureshot39 said:
Matt, I recommend saving up some more cash for some aluminum heads and an nice aftermarket intake. Those parts your going to look at are going to net you maybe 10-15hp. Think about the long run and what you really want out of your car, if you want performance, then your wasting your money looking at those mentioned above. If your on a tight budget, send your current pieces out to get ported and cleaned up, dont bother replacing them with mor(excuse my language) crappy parts.

I appriciate your opinion but those parts are right up my alley for what I'm looking for. I want stock parts. Explorer is basically same as Cobra which supports more power then I'm looking to get. I
m also not a big fan of aluminum heads. I want to see what I can do with modified stock parts and an S/C. I'm only looking to get 350 to the ground. Once again thanks. Can anyone else help me out on what to watch out for with those parts?

Matt

sirsureshot39 said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, But Where do you get your numbers from, Saying he will only pickup 10-15 horsepower. Have you ever bolted on a pair of Gt40P heads and a Cobra Intake on a basically stock mustang before. Seems to me you have not, and are pulling those numbers out of thin air.
First off a set of stock GT40P heads will net you about 35 HP. Trust me I have seen this first hand. I bolted a pair of stock GT40P heads on my 89 bone stock mustang and I went from 186 HP at the RW to 218 at the RW. I then bolted on a ported explorer intake and my RWHP jumped to 234. So as you can see that is 48 added RWHP for about half the cost of a set of quality alumiunum heads like AFR, or Brodix. Now I am not saying that aluminum heads are bad, in fact if money was not an option I would get me a set of these alumiumium heads.

Mattys5Oh said:
GT-40 (Cobra Heads) - What things should I look for? 3 bars? GT-40 stamped?

Explorer intake - Anything to look for?

Throttle Body - 65mm...anything here to watch out for?

Thanks,

Matt

Heads: They will have 3 bars on each end of the head. They are vertical. They will also have "GT" stamped on the outer lip where the head bolts go through. Also they will have "F3ZE" stamped under the head. It's near the pushrod holes.

sirsureshot39 said:

Common man you know as well as I do that the mods he is doing will give him 40-50 horsepower easily. I swapped a set of ported cobra heads + gt-40 intake + good cam and picked up almost a full second in the 1/4. Thats alot more than 10-15 hp. I bet I got 50-60 hp easily.

Rugged said:
Common man you know as well as I do that the mods he is doing will give him 40-50 horsepower easily. I swapped a set of ported cobra heads + gt-40 intake + good cam and picked up almost a full second in the 1/4. Thats alot more than 10-15 hp. I bet I got 50-60 hp easily.

Yeah I plan to have these ported over the winter. I only was 260-270rwhp N/A then 6psi on a Powerdyne afterwards. Thanks.

Matt

Mattys5Oh said:
Thank you very much!

Matt

No problem man. If there is anything else you need to know about cobra heads I can try to help. I am not really into the EFI scene so as far as the intakes and TBs go Id rather not get into it. I switched form EFI to carb last spring and I am SOOOOOOO happy. 750 Holley and RPM air gap are the way to go. I run bottom 11s with ported cobra heads. Yes aluminum heads flow more alot easier, but for us guys with limited funds and want to blister down the track at a good clip, ported iron heads will perform well. Just come watch my car hang both wheels in the air at the track.

The GT40P heads have 4 vertical bars and "GTP" cast into the corner head flange - don't overlook those either. MY bone stock 88GT made 200HP, made 219 with a ported lower, and after going GT40P heads and intake I'm at 60HP (with stock cam) gain over the stock numbers without any tune (tune in progress). A good cam selection would add significant HP to that.

If you need to stay emissions, look for a 96-early 97 Explorer intake with the internal EGR passages like your stock intake. The TB face on the upper will have a rectangular whole for the emmissions, so you can check by popping off the TB. Take the 65mm TB also - requires some minor work to convert, but it's worth it.

tmoss said:
The GT40P heads have 4 vertical bars and "GTP" cast into the corner head flange - don't overlook those either. MY bone stock 88GT made 200HP, made 219 with a ported lower, and after going GT40P heads and intake I'm at 60HP (with stock cam) gain over the stock numbers without any tune (tune in progress). A good cam selection would add significant HP to that.

If you need to stay emissions, look for a 96-early 97 Explorer intake with the internal EGR passages like your stock intake. The TB face on the upper will have a rectangular whole for the emmissions, so you can check by popping off the TB. Take the 65mm TB also - requires some minor work to convert, but it's worth it.

I'm looking at the Cobra heads, GT40. Not the P's but thank you for all that info!

Matt

Well the heads were true GT-40's. GT stamped all over it and all the other neccesary markings. Might need a valve job but would have probably gotten one anyways since I plan to get the head P&P'd. Also sopposed to be upgraded springs but I personally can;t tell the difference. I got the heads for $250, not a bad deal. But missing some bolts, not a big deal.

The intake happen to be from a 97 Moutaineer and has all the EGR stuff. Came with 65mm TB, all the sensors, all the lines, connectors EGR stuff, 5.0LV8 plaque, everything. Lower came with fuel rails, injectors, stock fuel pressure regulator and what looks like an aftermaret AFPR. Looks like holley style but also looks pretty beat up. Missing some misc. bolts and stuff....not a big deal. Picked all that up for $300.

Overall I am pretty happy. Thanks for the advice guys.

Matt

Are those GT40 heads off the Mountaineer as well? If so, you may need to have them milled to get to the stock 9:1 compression. You may want to go higher. I also believe that the early GT40 heads on the Mountaineer/Explorer didn't have thermactor passages drilled. You'll need to consider that if you are trying to stay smog legal.