Gonna Build A Drag Car?...may As Well Crush Them Now.

I like trailering my 11 second car to the track. Not because it needs it, or I'm afraid of breaking it. I'm just sick of packing the car (messing up the trunk mat in the process, driving 90 miles with unbalanced skinnies up front, getting there, putting the slicks on, chaining all my tools and street tires to the fence, missing the first pass or two in the process, making two passes, and then reversing the process. Nothing like coming down the return lane and rolling it right up on the trailer, and making it out of the track before the go home line forms. Have a late night dinner with a beer, and then drive home and worry about putting the car back together for the street in the morning.

I don't think too many people have a realistic idea of what a 7 second car costs. An engine for a car like that is going to run you $75,000+.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I like trailering my 11 second car to the track. Not because it needs it, or I'm afraid of breaking it. I'm just sick of packing the car (messing up the trunk mat in the process, driving 90 miles with unbalanced skinnies up front, getting there, putting the slicks on, chaining all my tools and street tires to the fence, missing the first pass or two in the process, making two passes, and then reversing the process. Nothing like coming down the return lane and rolling it right up on the trailer, and making it out of the track before the go home line forms. Have a late night dinner with a beer, and then drive home and worry about putting the car back together for the street in the morning.

I don't think too many people have a realistic idea of what a 7 second car costs. An engine for a car like that is going to run you $75,000+.

Kurt

Kurt, what track do you go to? Commerce?

Joe

I'm trying to build a fast street car. I have no desire to make my car a track only car. I love drag racing but I'm not gonna be going to the track a lot with my car because it will hopefully won't be allowed on the track without a cage. I don't want to get a cage right now because I'd like to let my kids ride in the car sometimes. I would love for my son AND my daughter to express interest in it. My daughter probably won't because she is very much a girly girl. My 2 y/o son LOVES to ride in my dad's bone stock 95 GT w/ just 3.55s and exhuast so I know he'll fall in love my car too. I also plan to keep a/c and p/s. I also like going to TX2K events and would like to keep my car worthy of the fun those guys have....late at night...on the interstate:cool:. Please don't judge me...I feel the flames coming.:p

I'm trying to build a fast street car. I have no desire to make my car a track only car. I love drag racing but I'm not gonna be going to the track a lot with my car because it will hopefully won't be allowed on the track without a cage. I don't want to get a cage right now because I'd like to let my kids ride in the car sometimes. I would love for my son AND my daughter to express interest in it. My daughter probably won't because she is very much a girly girl. My 2 y/o son LOVES to ride in my dad's bone stock 95 GT w/ just 3.55s and exhuast so I know he'll fall in love my car too. I also plan to keep a/c and p/s. I also like going to TX2K events and would like to keep my car worthy of the fun those guys have....late at night...on the interstate:cool:. Please don't judge me...I feel the flames coming.:p
The only negative/questionable comments I have are about "late night high-speed interstate" runs you'd like to make. Especially with your post about your young children. I'm not trying to be "Daddy do Right" but umm...??? Not a good idea. Keep it on a track with the proper safety equipment. Sermon is over.

The only negative/questionable comments I have are about "late night high-speed interstate" runs you'd like to make. Especially with your post about your young children. I'm not trying to be "Daddy do Right" but umm...??? Not a good idea. Keep it on a track with the proper safety equipment. Sermon is over.
I hope you don't think I would have my kids in the car while doing that kind of thing. Uuuummm....no. I would NEVER put my kids in a dangerous situation. But I understand where you're coming from and I respect it.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope you don't think I would have my kids in the car while doing that kind of thing. Uuuummm....no. I would NEVER put my kids in a dangerous situation. But I understand where you're coming from and I respect it.

I think he was more saying he wants your kids to have daddy around for a while. But, we all take risks in some form, so back your regularly scheduled thread topic...

I will say that I don't mind seeing cars that were destined for the crusher turned into a nice drag car. I do think it is unfortunate when someone takes a pristine car and cuts it up. I remember one of my old 5.0 mags a guy took a 93 Cobra R, backhalved it, put in a 351 and a C4 and ran it. I mean, do what you want I guess but there are plenty of 4 bangers out there if you are going to do that...

Reactions: 1 users
The thing I hate is all the chevy guys buying foxes to put ls motors in them....Sorry @hoopty5.0 I love everything you're doing to your car EXCEPT putting a GM motor in it. But to each his own.
Well the reason they do that is because their F body Camaros suck ass. They're heavy, have a terrible 3 link rear end set up, and who the hell wants to HAVE to change spark plugs from under their car? I guarantee there's more foxs on stock suspension running 11's or 12's than F bodies. It's cheaper to buy a fox and LS swap it than to build a Ford powered fox, or a fast F body.

Yeah, but... I'm not a Chevy guy. I'm a Mustang guy who's looking to make a lot of power, not a guy with a mullet and an IROC.

@stangboy maybe if you quit looking at it as a GM motor and re-label it as a grenade or ticking time bomb, it may make it a little more exciting. The LS swapped RX-7 that madmike has been complaining about made an 8 second pass before disintegrating in spectacular fashion! How awesome would that be?!? Run an 8 second pass, pull out your sub-$1000 engine in pieces, show the internet trolls and fanboys for a laugh, then continue with another beater bomb.

In fact, when this motor pukes, I'll probably get a JY 351 and run it. I understand brand loyalty and such, but I see things differently I guess - Im just exploring and exploiting cheap ways to make power.

....Stuffing in a 351 just made my head hurt when I thought about all of the parts Id have to buy all over again :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Well the reason they do that is because their F body Camaros suck ass. They're heavy, have a terrible 3 link rear end set up, and who the hell wants to HAVE to change spark plugs from under their car? I guarantee there's more foxs on stock suspension running 11's or 12's than F bodies. It's cheaper to buy a fox and LS swap it than to build a Ford powered fox, or a fast F body.

Ding Ding Ding.

@hoopty5.0 - I understand the concept of cheap power and I know the feeling all too well. I guess I have more brand loyalty than just making power by any "cheap" means necessary. I've been tempted to do an LS swap in my car simply because if the low cost but my heart that pumps Ford Blue blood ouldn't let me do it....hence the reason why its taking so long for my car to be back up and running. But when my car is back running it will be potent and it'll last longer than a stock LS1 or LS2, and probably even an LS3.