Good South Florida Foxbody Tuners?

Gunmonkey

Apr 16, 2016
South Florida
Can someone recommend a good shop in South FL (Dade, Broward, Palm Bch) that can troubleshoot and tune? My car has some aggravating issues I need help working out. I confess I lack the tools and knowledge to get too deep into this myself. I did a search on local shops, and all the info I found was from many years ago, and some of the companies that were named don't seem to be in business anymore.

Details, in case anyone has insight/experienced similar issues:

93 LX 5.0 coupe that I recently had HCI done by a local shop. (Car has around 125K miles and mechanically is in very good condition, and it ran great in mostly stock trim before all this started) The HCI was a Trick Flow Streetburner kit, and I also did 24# injectors and corresponding Pro M MAF, MSD box. Car already had an adjustable FPR, Walbro pump, and full exhaust. Using stock intake with silencer removed. I've had this mechanic do work before and it's been very good, but he's up front that he doesn't specialize in Mustangs and after spending a LOT of time (time he didn't charge me for) trying to find the problem, he admitted he's stumped.

After the HCI install, the car ran like absolute crap. Sounded like it had a big cam, and was barely drivable (bucking, backfiring, no power, pig rich, died at stoplights or whenever I let off the gas quickly). Mechanic removed/reinstalled top end to make sure the gaskets were sealed, checked for vacuum leaks, etc. Vacuum, fuel pressure, etc all within spec according to him. Still ran horrible.

Mechanic was convinced it was the MAF, as when he swapped in other MAFs it ran better (even when the MAFs were for larger or smaller injectors, it ran much better than the Pro M MAF that was calibrated for the 24#)...mind you, it didn't run "right" with larger or smaller MAF, just ran much better than with the Pro M installed.

Mechanic and I both spent a good amount of time on the phone with Pro M, and the mechanic did all the tests they wanted him to do, and his results came in with readings outside of what Pro M said it should be. It started to turn into a pissing match between Pro M and the mechanic, with Pro M insisting there was nothing wrong with their MAF sight-unseen and that the mechanic was doing their tests wrong...and the mechanic insisting there was a problem with the MAF based on his tests and the fact that the car was at its worst with their MAF installed.

That discussion was obviously going nowhere but downhill, so decided to just send the MAF back to Pro M to test and recalibrate. I got it back, and now the car runs noticeably better with their MAF than it did before I sent it in (apparently they did something to it considering how much better it runs now, but they didn't indicate what they did on the paperwork...and I still had to pay for whatever "fix" they did to my brand new MAF), but it still runs rich and seems low on power. I also tried one of American Muscle's BamaTunes chips that gave me some tunes based on my configuration, and it feels like it runs the same: rich and low on power.

So it seems like the problem is almost narrowed down, I'd just like to find a pro that's good at finding bugs in the system and can tune my car properly.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm also interested in what you find regarding shops. I grew up in Miami and visit family often. I wouldn't mind knowing a place to go to if I take my car. Also, I see you are a gunsmith. Would you mind sending me a PM with your info or any reputable shops you'd recommend in or near Miami? I'm interested in checking some places out next time I'm down there.

In regards to your car. Have you dumped the codes yet? They may help you diagnose what's wrong with it.

@jrichker , could you provide the appropriate checklists to help him out?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
thanks @skyline247 ! My mechanic said he pulled the codes and everything read normal. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have the tools or knowledge to pull codes or do a lot of this work myself...I understand how guns, not electronics computers and things I can't put my hands on, lol. Sending you a PM.

OK first pull that Bama chip back out. Been there, done that.

Main things to check, timing, fuel pressure (if you have an adjustable FPR try backing some fuel out of it)....

Start with these. There is no reason for that HCI combo to be giving you these problems.

A good investment would be an WB for the car so you can see what the AFR is.

A PLX wide band can be had for as little as 149$ with a Bosch sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks @skyline247 ! My mechanic said he pulled the codes and everything read normal. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have the tools or knowledge to pull codes or do a lot of this work myself...I understand how guns, not electronics computers and things I can't put my hands on, lol. Sending you a PM.
Honestly, it's much easier than you might think.

Read through some of Mr Richker's checklist. Do them a couple times and it'll seem like nothing. You won't need much of any tools to check the codes. An OBD-I reader that runs $25 maybe, or a test light and paper clip.

Another source of help might be @a91what , he's our computer genius.

edit: too late

No worries man. Like others have said, you should be able to work your way through some of the checklists pretty easily. Hope you get this sorted out. Worst case, you can take it to the shop suggested by Mike.

Thanks for the pm btw.
I've been down here for 30+ years .. The only person I would let touch my cars is Steve Lee @ ThunderAutosports in Boynton beach, He just tuned my car
Thanks for the info. [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yep, Steve at Thunder Auto sports as well. They do awesome work.

Other than that I don't know of many other shops that tune in South Florida.

Other tuners in the area I know of

1. Power By the Hour- good but pricey. They tend to IMO specialize in later models
  2. Blow By Racing in Boca- never used them so can't tell you other than what I've read on forums
  3. Mustang Specialties in Pompano- RUN dont walk away

Reactions: 1 users
Other tuners in the area I know of

1. Power By the Hour- good but pricey. They tend to IMO specialize in later models
  2. Blow By Racing in Boca- never used them so can't tell you other than what I've read on forums
  3. Mustang Specialties in Pompano- RUN dont walk away
Run away from Blow By as well. I know people that have had horrible experiences with them.

No one on my coast really tunes anymore.

Palm Beach Dyno just opened up. Not sure if they are doing any push rod stuff or not.